For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The deal with EggShells
  • EthosEthos
    I heard/read different opinions about Egg shells.
    Whats the best way to prepare it? raw vs boiled , ground vs whole, with egg whites vs without.
    does it help with thickening of the dog's ears?
    will it cause any problems like injuring the digestive tract lining?
    how many times a week?
  • BarrowBarrow
    I know nothing about feeding egg shells to dogs, but nothing about raw eggs or egg shells seems to be a good idea. I would really research this idea and develop a risk/benefit analysis before doing this. Egg shells are predominately calcium carbonate and there are other proven safe methods for increasing calcium in a shiba's diet-if that is the goal.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    A raw egg with the shell a few times a week is perfectly fine. Once a day is a bit much, probably. Your dog will end up pooping out most of the shell undigested after an egg meal, which tells me they don't really need it. Mine tend to eat around the shell and will leave about half to 2/3rds uneaten.

Can I ask what your interest is in supplementing the shells?

Tums have been used for decades to help harden cartilage in puppies with floppy ears. It won't make thick ears in dogs that don't have the genes for it.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • EthosEthos
    Akuma has relatively thin ears compared to some Shibas I see online and a dog owner I met suggested Egg shells. and it seem to be a cheap accessible source of calcium that otherwise you will be throwing in the trash.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Ok. That may work if he was a young puppy in a growth spurt with a floppy ear (think German shepherd).

He's grown and his ears are what they are at this point. You could crush the egg shell into a powder, but it still wouldn't be very bioavailable to him, and would probably just constipate him, lol, but I don't think it will hurt him. You could give it to your chickens tho (if you know anyone with some. Its an old farm secret.)

Some Shibas have thick ear leather as they were bred for it specifically. The height of the ear also effects that. The smaller ear will possibly have a thicker feel to it.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • EthosEthos
    Thanks for the info lindsayt. very helpful as usual.. :)
  • SayaSaya
    I've mixed in crushed egg shells with Bella's food few times with her raw eggs and it doesn't seem to digest much..

So I just put the egg in her food no shells.

Saya eats around the shell if I let her eat the whole egg.

I think Saya gets enough nutrients from her bone in meals.. 10% is her diet she does sometimes get bit more though, but not by too much I don't want her eat too much bone.

Chicken feet are yummy treats for dogs..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)