For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Hurricane Sandy
  • Not sure if a topic has been posted, but I hope all of the East Coast shibas and their humans are doing okay!

Big winds in Columbus, Ohio with snow/rain. My shibas are not a fan of the wind noise
  • SayaSaya
    Hope everyone is doing well.

I live in indiana so nothing bad, but it has been very windy Saya loves that she gets to chase the blowing leaves!

I've lived in Louisiana for 20 years so I know how scary hurricans and tropical storms can be winds can be crazy! Luckily where I lived floods only reached the garage door never got too high like in some areas..

One my aunts lived in Mississippi during Katrina and it's a miracle she and her friend survived the horrible flood they did lost some cats and dogs.. :(

They had hang onto a tree to survive.

The flood and down trees I saw on TV are pretty bad..

Lisa posted this on the NK side not sure if she did on the shiba side, but anyways I thought I'd post this hear if people want to check it and donate if they can..

Even though we own shiba akita are still cute dog.
    http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/7904/bear-big-east-akita-rescue-is-in-desperate-need-of-help-/#Item_1

Crazy this storm happened I do hope people didn't take it as a joke and stayed home unprepared..

i mean when we stayed home in LA We had tons of dog and cat food, water and caned foods stored and we used up food in fridge quick then threw food out due to loss of power..

Week in Louisiana without power= spoiled food quick.. Coarse we didn't have generator..

We need get one in case a blizzard kills the power where we live.. out chest full of people food and dog food would go bad though if it's cold outside we can move the food outside in the cold! hehe

Hope dogs doing well.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • MikoMiko
    @jessefritschzy I hope you stay safe during the storm.

I am in NY and the aftermath here is bad, Miko was a trooper throughout the height of the storm, he slept through it. Thankfully I still have power, I do hope everyone is doing ok and taking precautions.
  • Thanks Nicole for reposting that. Yes, BEAR (Big East Akita Rescue) really needs help--they were in the storm surge and cars are gone, kennels are gone, no heat, no power, house flooded, and they have TWELVE Akitas! Here's there web page with donation links if anyone can help. I saw people were trying to get a generator and other supplies in to them but right now I think the area is restricted because of the flooding. Even after the first crisis, they will need help rebuilding.

There's a ticker on the side of their page, too, with FB updates about their status so you can check in. and of course, donations are really appreciated!

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net/

Here's a link to what their area is like right now: http://tomsriver.patch.com/articles/photos-damage-around-toms-river-tuesday-from-hurricane-sandy#photo-11954078

And I hope everyone else is staying safe and warm!
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-10-30 15:09:42
  • It was really, really bad -- especially in NYC and surrounds. It was particularly difficult for us as Dakota picked the three days before and during and after the Hurricane to have a very bad case of diarrhea. She was asking to go out every 3 hours -- and this included during the dead of the night. So, we got up every few hours, put on coats, and braved 60-70 mph winds to get her outside to do her thing. It was quite scary dodging debris like the roof shingles flying off of my neighbor's house while letting her poop. Back from the vets today with a prescription and supply of pro-biotics and an intestinal friendly food Canine I/D (she basically wants nothing to do with food). But you haven't lived until you have to take your Shiba out in a Hurricane every 3 hours to go to the bathroom! She was a trooper though and seemed to not mind the high winds and debris flying everywhere.
  • @shibamistress passed the info about BEAR to one of the Akita clubs in Northern CA
    Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2012-10-30 19:28:29
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    As others have said NYC and area got hit bad. Penny enjoyed it outside. She wanted to stay and walk more. INU could not wait to get back inside. My neighbors across the street have no power. Long Island has lost 90 percent power. Many trees are down. Tunnels are flooded. No trains.

It's a mess.
    犬竜
  • Glad you are all ok, though. DianaBoston, that sounds nightmarish, so glad you've made it through everything.

• BootzBootz
    My Bf's sister posted a bunch of pictures where trees landed on cars x_x

I hope everybody's house is safe!!! Her house didn't have any trees around (luckily) so its safe.
  • SayaSaya
    My dad friend just moved to an area that got hit a tree landed on the house they bought. Luckily his wife and kid was safe! Scary. :\

Saya did that to me wanted to potty during a blizzard! She had fun in the snow and took forever to find a spot to potty. What we do for our loved dogs.
    Photobucket
  • CaliaCalia
    As of Tuesday morning, there were over 800,000 reports of power outages and downed lines in Nassau and Suffolk county (Long Island). I was lucky to not have any problems, but several of my friends/family have lost power and/or had a tree land on or near their house.
  • xena_inuxena_inu
    my hearts go out to everyone in the east coast including there beloved pets!
  • I used to live on the Jersey Shore years ago, and I'm scared for all my friends that live there. We could walk to the ocean from our house and I could see the water from my school. I keep hearing NJ got hit really hard, but I'm still waiting for some people to check in :(
  • ArcticArctic
    I'm in northern New Jersey and my town is a warzone. I doubt we'll have power within the week with the way I've seen things here. I live in a very forested suburb and trees are down everywhere, and the power lines are absolutely demolished. Over 100 roads closed in my town alone, and it's a smallish town.

I was also out all night with the fire department. Very busy, lots of emergencies, including two fatalities. A family was out driving during the storm (no idea why) and a tree fell on them, killing the two parents. Luckily the kids were not harmed and were able to be extricated from the car.

We drove the fire engine to my house during the storm so I could take Sansa out to go potty. I went for her while everyone waited in the truck. She walked out of the house, sniffed around, then got hit with a gust and sheet of rain and she ran back to the front door! I picked her up and shielded her and put her on grass so she'd pee, and once she did I put her back inside for the night and headed back to the firehouse.

I'm at work now because, somehow, my office is inside the only functioning power grid for miles haha. Just my luck! Luckily my girlfriend has power so Sansa is spending the day at her house. My aunt on the other side of town has power so we are staying there but so are other family members so there are 12 people and 3 dogs (including my aunt's Shiba!) in the house. Chaotic, and not very restful, but Sansa is having fun playing with the other Shiba and the goldendoodle.

Stay safe everyone.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    A couple were killed in Brooklyn while walking their dog yesterday morning by a falling tree. The dog survived and was taken to a veterinary hospital.
    犬竜
  • MikoMiko
    I heard about the couple in Brooklyn, there are some very sad stories. @Arctic i hope it gets better soon, i know NJ got hit really bad.

In Breezy Point, Queens there was a fire during the storm that destroyed over 80 houses, it looks devastating in the pictures i've seen.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Took the guys to their favorite dog park. Or should I say what was a dog park. Fallen trees tore down the fences. A large oak is hanging precariously onto another. One tree provides a ramp over the fence. No obstacle for a Shiba to traverse.

No off leash time until its repaired.
    犬竜
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Wow! That is pretty bad. Sorry you east coasters are having to go thru this.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • BootzBootz
    Wow....so sad for that couple >_<
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Yeah, I read about that couple. =(
    http://ditmasparkcorner.com/blog/news/remembering-jessie-and-jacob

It really put the wait for the forums to come back up into perspective.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • TengaiTengai
    The jersey shore was really hit bad. Luckily for us although close to the ocean we are far enough away to not be worried about flooding. Trees/wires are down everywhere most have not had power although today many areas are getting it back, including us about an hour ago. We were told it could take up to a week. We were lucky no damage to the house or property others not so lucky. A section of Brick, our town had houses not only flooded but many of those burned down as well. The devistation is everywhere but the immeadiate coast really got hit bad. I was actually at work at the hospitalffrom monday Am until late yesterday, and worked all day today. The hospital just went to regular power we were on generator until this morning. Gas station lines are an hour to two hours long as most are not open due to the power outages. Hopefully since power is coming back the situation will get better. If not as peoples cars start needing gas in the next few days things can get real hairy. Most including us filled the cars before the storm, but we will need to refill soon with going to/from work. Hopefully things will get better!
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Tengai, seems surreal to have to work in such a situation -- but understandably necessary if you're at a hospital. Hope you and the pups are all okay and well supplied for the upcoming days!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Has anyone heard anything from the NYC Shiba Rescue???
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Update: People in my area are starting to show signs of stress and frustration. Long lines are appearing at gas stations with many of them closed. A near riot almost broke out while on line at the supermarket. After waiting on line for twenty+ minutes the cashier just said I am closing and walked away with over twenty people still on the line.

To paraphrase a qoute I heard today, "who could think that it would be like we are living in a third world country?"
    犬竜
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It goes to show how massively underprepared many communities are for natural disasters. That is pretty shocking.
  • CaliaCalia
    Yeah, gas stations are crazy now, and I hear that there won't be any gas deliveries for some time due to the coast guard preventing delivery boats from coming in. Many areas aren't going to get power back for a week or two at earliest, and I just wound up taking home a lot of food from my mom's freezer so it doesn't go bad. There are still trees everywhere, and power companies from other states are sending over people to help work on the lines.

Cell phone service sucks now, many towers are down and a lot of people are very hard to get into contact with. Cell phone companies have actually opened up their still working towers to other cell phone providers, which means that if you have Verizon you could be using an AT&T tower while making that call. My guess is that it's helping a little, but it's still not enough in some areas. I really miss it when they used to have true landlines, even without power if your phone line was connected there was still a way to contact people.
  • I think it will take a little bit of time to hear from everyone. As Calia mentions cell phone service is spotty in many areas as well as many network lines slow or limited.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-11-01 22:22:39
  • I wondered about NYC Shiba rescue too. Heard about BEAR (big east Akita rescue) but that was because the Akita people were really good at getting the word out. One Akita breeder who is nowhere near there is pretty much a one woman "get the word out and get help" crew!

I was wondering about the Shiba rescues but hadn't heard anything. I did see on the Shibaholics that the Fuchs who do Shiba rescue had checked in and were ok....I think they're pretty close to the coast (in NJ?), but they and dogs are ok.

Haven't heard anything else.

My thoughts are with you all, though who have lost power, and and are dealing with this.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Beth, can your parents come stay with you temporarily?
  • CaliaCalia
    Lindsay, Mom doesn't want to leave the house, plus she works West of her and I'm East, so staying with me would add an extra half hour each way (at least) to her travel time. She seems to be taking advantage of her neighbors who do still have power, a lot of her food is in 5 different fridges right now, and one neighbor gave her a key to their place so she can shower and use the phone. I offered her a place to stay, but she seems to be alright with how things are going at the moment.
  • SayaSaya
    "It goes to show how massively under prepared many communities are for natural disasters. That is pretty shocking. "
    I agree here!

"who could think that it would be like we are living in a third world country?"
    Umm Hello! Hurricane Katrina! I experienced that and it was nuts.. People broke into the win dixie by my house and took food..

All the looting is horrible.

Even on a minor tropical storm or smaller hurricane neighbors I knew who had left got broken into and everything valuable taken and other things thrown around. I hated it when it happened to them.

Took my dad forever to get a moving truck so we could move to Indiana.

Mom didn't want to live down there with how the flood ruined things.. I mean there were gangs close by not in the neighborhood, but close enough..

Stuff I saw was sad.. I was so glad for the military who guarded the neighborhood and so on made me feel bit safer.

Our state isn't prepared for a thing like this hurricanes is hard to prepare for!

People in the path of it need to leave or prepared to get on the roof or prepared to wait till things get back to normal.

I've been through many hurricanes, tropical storms and so on it's no fun..

Week without power down in Louisiana is even worse.. the heat was horrible poor dogs they lost weight due to it even though we had tons of dog food plus they got people food so some didn't spoil.

Week without power in midwest or colder states bad too especially for sick or elderly..

Good luck to people who live there and I hope people keep their mind and not go so low to cause any riots..

Don't want it to be like Katrina and people act like retards.
    Photobucket
  • redcattooredcattoo
    My thoughts and prayers are those working through recovery. As someone noted as the days pass the stress increases. I remember Wilma in my area of Florida, by day 3, 4, 5 without power (we ended up 7 days without power at my house) and gas stations without gas (due to either lack of power to pump it and no generators or inability to get the gas trucks there to deliver it). By day 3 everyone was past the shock and onto the stress and feeling of hopelessness of where to begin getting back to normal. It takes time, it took probably 3-4 years here before there wasn't any more blue tarp roofs after Wilma.
  • "It goes to show how massively under prepared many communities are for natural disasters. That is pretty shocking. "

Not so much as you might think. It is more, I think, that we are a lot more over-extended than many people realize. You've probably heard variations on the factoid that most places are just three meals away from starvation.

We become too used to all of our supplies and amenities, and take them for granted. We fall prey to the illusion that everything is in plentiful supply. However, when distribution systems or manufacturing get hit by a disaster, supplies (especially high-consumption items like fuel and food) disappear quickly. In Tokyo, even though we only got the edge of the Tohoku Earthquake, we waited almost two weeks before gas stations were replenished, and supermarkets were out of most edibles for the same period of time. And that was with very little local damage.

With no food and no fuel, people used to a steady supply of such things get their confidence shaken, and worry too much about what will happen, hoarding makes matters worse, and tempers flare easily over what little supplies are left.

One of the best ways that a community can prepare is actually not at the government level, but at the individual level. If every household keeps an extra two-week supply of foods that can last for longer times, and keeps a spare tank of gasoline somewhere, it would make a surprising difference in emergencies like this. Logistically, that would be difficult or impossible at the community level, but not undoable at the individual level.
  • SayaSaya
    I agree with ya Hibarishiba. :)

Even if state is prepared it's hard to fully prepare for a hurricane or blizzard, tornado, earthquake or whatever mother nature throws at us.

One reason I love where I live got a fire place so in winter we can use it if power goes out and if must I will hunt rabbit for food there is tons of it luckily no need.. I do keep honest kitchen dog food as back up since no power = bad meat and Saya and bella can only eat so much of it..

We have a small garden which we grow some veggies and a pond with fish..

Plus some can goods. We mostly stock up in the winter in case of blizzard.

I might try my hand at canning meat or some type preserving it as way have some meat if power goes out..

I saw one person on news say they should forced us to leave.

I'm like if they did that then they would be mad they were forced to leave.

I believe people was told to evacuate.

I hope people took things serious and stocked up before things happened..

I mean when a tropical storm or Hurricane we made sure we had plenty of caned goods and stuff. We even filled jugs of water for fresh water..

We did it before hurricane season started and only got a few items when one might come by or through..

Coarse East coast doesn't get hit as often like this like with Hurricanes in the south

Photobucket
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I agree with Hibari. The lowest common denominator is self reliance. The local politicians are saying the gas will be flowing soon and that the shortage was due to delivery problems and lack of electricity. And on the same hand, New Jersey starts gas rationing at 12 noon today.

Food deliveries are also affected now. My friend who works at the local market told me yesterday that they are only receiving less than half of what they have ordered. Almost all the cat food is gone but they have plenty of paper towels.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-11-03 09:50:00
  • The idea of being prepared for a natural disaster on an individual level is great, but not really practical for a lot of people. Where are people in tiny apts. in Manhatten supposed to keep a stock of canned goods and extra gasoline? Or a generator? I think if you can, it's a good idea, but for a lot of people not workable.

And people don't leave for a lot of reasons. Some of them, like in NOLA after Katrina, had no way of getting out and/or nowhere to go. I'm sure this is true of some people in places in NY and NJ too. A big problem for a lot of people is what to do with their animals--who is going to leave them? But there aren't enough resources for people to have places to take them (I saw there were some shelters set up for animals this time around, but I'm sure space was limited).

I think in many ways people CAN'T actually prepare for the really big natural disasters like this. To expect them to, or worse, to blame them for not being prepared, is really arrogant, and when I see people do that I just think you better hope you're never in this situation yourself, and count your blessings that you've never had to deal with this. (and I don't mean anyone here, btw, I'm just thinking of some of the stupid comments I've seen online).

We have a woodstove, which is our main source of heat, so without power, we wouldn't freeze, but we wouldn't have any water since our well runs on electricity. And we'd lose all our stores of dog food, etc, electricity for the freezer. Of course, the kind of natural disaster we'd have to deal with out here is devastation of another type: fires. I'm nervous all summer about fires, and hope we never have a big one and have to evacuate.

Anyway, my thoughts are still with everyone on the east coast.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    My nephew is on a power crew from Georgia Power in NJ right now. They are working round the clock trying to get power restored. Their crew is on 18 hour shifts - he said it is some of the worst he's seen in the last couple of years.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    This wednesday there is another nor'easter predicted with winds of 40 mph and heavy rain. I hope it does not happen. The situation is still far from stable.
    犬竜
  • BrewSterBrewSter
    brigantine nj resident and casino employee (IT dept so i rode the storm out at work) liz took brewster inland to her parents house...we are all devastated please if you can donate to fema red cross and all nj,pa,ny animal shelters, a lot of animals are without a home now we were fortunate and sustained minimal damage but this noreaster will cause more floods and property damage and even more people will be without homes as well as or furry friends! so i urge you if you can donate pet food, human food (lol) and clothes to people in need, @ljowen123 tell your nephew thanks you!! and all the other out of staters comin in to help out we are a mess right now!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Will do - just helped to outfit a SBC (Southern Baptist Churches) disaster relief team that are headed up to remove debris and once that is done, we'll be sending the SBC Building team up to help begin making repairs.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)