For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The Wisconsin Shibas Go Lure Coursing!
  • GatsuGatsu
    Lurecourse35
    From left to right.
    Buddy, Guts, Gidget, Lucy, Suki, and Mika

We all took our Shibas Lure Coursing today. And wow was that fun. We had a blast trying to chase our shibas to get them off the lure course! It was only the shibas who gave trouble. But every single one of them, ran a muck on the lure course. Lucy and Guts put up a fight. Suki took quite a bit of time on the field, thank god she had to stop to pee. Buddy's owner had to dive into mud to catch buddy. So I'm sure the other dog owners weren't happy about having to wait for us to catch our dogs. Dogs chase lure, human chases dog! Also we had Guts and Lucy shiba screaming their heads off, while watching the other dogs. It was a good time, BUT NEVER AGAIN!

Also they did use a radar gun to record their speed. Gidget was clocked at 25 mph, the fastest of all the shibas! IN ALL OF YOUR FACES!

edit: I'm sure the other guys will have more video and pics for us later.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-27 15:10:56
  • BTW... after you guys left Mika and I hung around and the person that was running the course "suggested" we rent the course out for an hour or 2 for the shibas!!!!
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-10-27 15:59:42
  • JuniJuni
    Cool! I would love for Juni to have a go at it.
  • lucylulucylu
    I'd be up for renting the course. The dogs loved it. Lucy was a natural. Good seeing everyone again. I think we did our part in making sure not everyone and their mother will want a shiba.
  • Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-10-27 16:12:15
  • Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-10-27 16:15:32
  • Mika's Run

• Suki's run

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-10-27 18:34:26
  • Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

• GatsuGatsu
    lol, I like how at the end of that last video you were trying to record us catching the shibas, but that was probably the only time we caught the shibas right away.

And during suki's run, I think that was Guts screaming.

So did they say how much the rental for the course was? It would be nice if we could get everyone together for that.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-10-27 22:42:16
  • I'm so jealous of you guys! Despite the Shiba-catching challenge, it looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish there were a place around here where I could take Zim to do that.
  • That looks like so much fun! Jibo would love that! I would be terrified he would decide to take off and just go over the fence though, he's a bit of an escape artist and has scaled a six footer before.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Wow, that looked like a lot of fun ... I think I would need 30 minutes though to catch Bear in that much space of free run. His come recall when excited from running is negative 100% and his ability to keep running can be maintained for about 30 minutes until I can usually be quick enough to catch him taking a break.
  • lucylulucylu
    The key to catching your shibas is to make them drink a lot of water beforehand. Water=bathroom breaks=chance to catch them.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @lucylu that made me laugh ... I still think my Bear would stop peeing if I got too close and he knew he was grabbable. I swear his favorite game is tag your it so I have to run fast and stay out of reach. If you forget you are it, I will come close enough to give you a reminder but if you aren't quick enough I won't be it.
  • lucylulucylu
    Lucy and guts were by far the most vocal. I don't hear the shiba scream that often, but both were doing it the entire time. My favorite run was with guts, gidget, and Lucy. Gidget gave up quickly but guts and Lucy were pretty cool tracking the entire time.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Lol she didn't give up. She lost it. Lol
  • GatsuGatsu
    Btw we forgot to mention how suki and gidget were wrestling and Lucy got mad and defended gidget! I thought that was funny! But gidget gets along great with the Madison shibas!
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-10-28 12:19:37
  • Renting sounds like a great idea!
  • GatsuGatsu
    Well it's 75 dollars to rent for an hour. If we get 6 dogs together again, each dog pays $12.50 for each hour. Of course it'll be great if we can get more than 6 shibas together.

For those who are interested. what days are usually good for you? Also would you guys rather do an hour or 2?
  • tatonkatatonka
    Upon @Bootz's suggestion, running away from Tatonka seems to work for me. It really seems to upset him that I might leave him..
    Monkey!
  • I'm up for it...Maybe we can get tiger lilly to come too. Any days are pertty much open now that camping season is over. We have a family cookie bake coming up. No date for that yet

• micomico
    That looks like so much fun
  • GatsuGatsu
    TigerLily owners said they can make it almost any time after november 6. But yeah, I'll assume Saturdays is usually good for everyone? So how about we either do this the 10th or 24th? Would those days work for everyone?
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-10-30 00:23:46
  • XabiXabi
    Oh, I'm so jealous! That would be so great for a meetup group to rent the course for a couple hours and hire a professional photographer to get some really great looking, high quality pictures of your beautiful shibas! That is if you could get more than a few shibas. I'm just really, really jealous. They look like they're having so much fun!
    X & I signature smaller
  • I've been traveling to Madison every other week for training at Epic. I wish I could bring Roo with me to meet some other shibas! I have only seen one other shiba on one occasion here in Oklahoma.
  • lucylulucylu
    My sister in law worked at epic. Get ready for Long long long hours lol
  • Both days work for me

@bikingleia..Verona has 2 awesome dog parks...It's really nice living 5 minutes from them

• Lucylu, I knew what I was getting into with this job... does that make me crazy?!

BuckyBadger, I'm jealous because I have to drive about 20 minutes to get to the only decent dog park in Oklahoma City. I'm not so jealous of the weather here though! I left the 75-80 degree weather back home for the 40's here... what a bummer!

That looks like a lot of fun! I can totally relate to the shiba chase. That's what ensues every time I take Roo to the dog park and it's time to go home. People either look at me like I'm crazy or laugh at my attempts to get her back. I thought luring her in with treats would work but I ended up having to wait until she was distracted with another dog and sneak up behind her to snatch her up. Then she starts wiggling and thrashing around like she's being abducted by a stranger. It's all quite embarassing but I just have to swallow my pride like a good shiba mom lol.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts use to be so hard to get out of the dog park. But now that he's a little older, he allows me to go over to him to put the leash on him. So in a year or 2 roo probably will be better. But I also feel your pain, for me it's a 20 minute drive to all the good dog parks. But to be fair, I'm pretty much 20 minutes from a lot of dog parks, so I have a lot of choices.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    That looks like a lot of fun (for the dogs)!
  • SayaSaya
    Lure coursing looks fun I think Saya and Bella would do good with it.

saya does her own lure coursing when leaves blow in the yard and Bella goes nuts and chase her stuff toys or bison hide if I attach it to a leash and run. lol

I might try it some day..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Both dates work for us! I'll ask Jessica if Wasabi and Trixie are interested in coming too!
  • GatsuGatsu
    So I emailed the elmbrook humane society asking what days we can rent the corse. i asked how if there is a limit on how many dogs we can bring.

Then hopefully after I get a response, maybe all of us can set up a time and day.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-11-03 11:59:19
  • Dec 15 is out for me

@ Gatsu...after Thanksgiving seems to be a long way off....

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-11-03 11:05:43
  • GatsuGatsu
    Ok, I got an email back. She said our only restriction is they can't do it if there is too much snow or the ground is too hard. And here are the only dates available

Friday, November 16
    Sunday, November 18
    Saturday, November 24
    Sunday, November 25

So just let me know which dates work for you guys. and the date that works for the most people, we'll take. Then I'll set things up.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-11-03 12:49:40
  • all the above dates work for me...Jodie, if she came, would not be able to come on a friday.

• All dates work for us, but I'd prefer Sat/Sun to Friday.
  • anything new?

• GatsuGatsu
    Yeah sorry about that, I'm just waiting for one more person to confirm. Then I'll finally make the appointment, so the latest I'll have everything set up is by saturday. sorry abou that guys. But most likely we'll be doing this either the 16th or 18th.

Also Tigerlilly and Ari should be able to make it. Sadly though, Wasabi and Trix can't make it.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-11-08 00:38:03
  • GatsuGatsu
    Day and Time: Sunday, November 18th. 9-11am
    Place: Elm Brook Humane Society
    20950 Enterprise Avenue Brookfield, WI 53045
    Admission: $12.50 per dog

Apparently they only can rent out the course for 2 hours. So I invited a few more non shibas, so that we can keep the price down for all of us. So feel free to invite other dogs too. But yes please don't forget your money, I'm a poor man and can't pay for this by myself. :p
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-11-08 14:49:11
  • Rick is in

• GatsuGatsu
    With Rick we have 11 dogs coming. 8 shibas, and 3 non shibas
  • Zoey is going to make an appearance too

• lucylulucylu
    Lucy is excited.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Nice to know Zooey is coming. Guts is already shiba screaming in excitement
  • Can't wait!!
  • Just a reminder if there are new members

Day and Time: Sunday, November 18th. 9-11am
    Place: Elm Brook Humane Society
    20950 Enterprise Avenue Brookfield, WI 53045
    Admission: $12.50 per dog

• BootzBootz
    Take lots of pictures and videos!!!
  • XabiXabi
    I second the pics & vids request! (SO JEALOUS!)
    X & I signature smaller
  • GatsuGatsu
    I'll make sure to take more photos and video this time

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)