For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Crate in a crate
  • InuzooInuzoo
    I ran home today to get something I forgot and glanced over at pup in her crate. It made me sad to see her confined to basically her bed. So I began thinking she needed a bigger crate, but not to big because she only weights 5 pounds for goodness sakes. She has room to stand and turn around but for 8 hours a day I would think she would get stiff laying all day. What if I put the little crate inside the labs big crate so she had a "play/chew" area (hopefully not a potty area) and a den like sleeping area. Her bed takes up over half of her current crate and the small crate takes up half of the big crate. Does that make sense? Is anyone still following me? Anyway, am I asking for potty trouble? Shes 3 months old and 99.99999% house trained.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    No issues that I can see. She is one tiny shiba! 3mo and 5lbs only holy cow hehe. Anywho I get what you mean about the crates but I am sure if she can stand and turn in te small crate, she was perfectly find with that alone.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    You might want to consider an xpen.
    犬竜
  • InuzooInuzoo
    @kumadude. Hey not funny! She's challenged in the size department.... Hehe. Her sister is double her size! She's a pint sized power house who thinks she's a big dog. Do you think she has "short dog syndrome"? And she is probably fine in the little crate but mamma feels bad. :(

@inu Ryun. We have an xpen but we don't use it. A friend let us borrow it and Zooey cried each time we put her in it to learn a potty spot.

@tatonka. Your set up is great! That's a larger version of what I was thinking.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Napoleons dog complex hahaha Jk. But you shouldn't feel bad, if she's comfortable and relaxed why feel bad?

Regarding her crying with the expen, you think maybe it's because she didn't like her potty area next to her play area lol.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    @ kumasude Haha.... That play/potty area might have been it. Needless to say she's gotten over it..... I had to scoop before we could play tonight. Let her out by herself and all hell breaks loose. Just watch after I set up the crate contraption the don't potty when you sleep idea will fly out the window too!? Ugh
  • AvehAveh
    Let me know how this goes! I'm also debating whether I should leave my puppy in his crate or his pen (the crate is in his pen) while I'm away at work... I come home during lunch, so he's only enclosed for 4 hours at a time.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    @aveh. I will let you know. So far she seems to think its fun and has gone in and out of it a few times, sliding on the floor cloth. The only time she even went in her crate alone was to grab and run with a bully stick or her sock monkey. We usually have to coax her in before work guiding her leash. Just like a kid with a new toy.
  • ArcticArctic
    I bought my pup a 36" crate that I took the divider out of pretty early on. I've found that it gives her a good amount of room overall to lay in her bed or stretch out. She seems to enjoy it.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    I have onyx (7 pounds at 12 weeks old) in a crate for about 12 hours a day between resting, sleeping, and when I'm at work and my roommate goes to work. He does great, always stretches before getting up and running around. Make sure your puppy gets plenty of exercise and play and the time in the crate shouldnt be an issue.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    So I thought the crate in a crate was working, she seemed to go into the crate a bit easier but...... I detected the blanket inside the crate had that tell tale smell this morning and she might have the wrong idea. :( I find the toys in the same spot when we return so she's not making use of the space to play so I think she's getting downsized. She also decided to squat behind the rocking chair last night without warning. She really doesn't like the rain and did the squat right after we'd been out so I guess she's rushing to get back in the dry house and probably fake peeing while I stand there in boots getting equally wet. Take that stupid human .... I will just let you think I peed. Lordy, I hope she likes snow or it will be a looong winter.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Umm, may want to try using rain gear for her, it may help...
    As for the crate, I figured it may be the case, sorry to hear though. But small is good, prevents the dog from peeing in her safe haven.
  • Crateception!

I gave Sonic and xpen with a crate inside before but it didn't work out too well. Basically because I didn't exactly puppy proof the place. Anyways, he's in a decent sized crate now and doesn't touch any of the toys I leave in there. All he really does is sleep in it. Sometimes legs up and everything. I have been monitoring him using a webcam/ustream account for months now and there are no signs of stress or separation anxiety. I can't wait until I can give him more space to roam free while I'm at work.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Zooey has been downsized :(. I wonder if she even noticed. I'm not sure I'd want to see a webcam of her daily activity. It might make me sad. I don't like leaving her and get up an hour earlier just to have some "quality time" before she gets in for the day. She usually cuddles while I have coffee which is nice. Not sure When or if she will ever settle down enough to get a whole lot of space to roam while we are gone. Some days I think she has attention deficit disorder. Busiest dog I have ever seen!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)