For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does shiba 500 affect dog's joints?
  • EthosEthos
    A good breeder avoids breeding a dog that does the shiba 500 run because it affects their hips and knees joints and is a predisposing factor to get joint displasias when the dog gets older.
    Is that a right statement? Should i try to discourage my dog from running around the house when doing the shiba 500? Is it bad to their bone/joint health? Or is that a myth?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Interesting question that I can't answer, but I would be interested in how to prevent/discourage the Shiba 500 run once it starts. My Bear is a master of it.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Joint issues are usually a genetic issue, not an environmental one. That is not to say that a dog can not injure themselves while zooming around, but as a general rule, it is not bad for their joints. They were bred to hunt in short bursts/sprints, so this activity actually mimics what they were bred for.

I am curious to know where you heard this.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I think you may be over analyzing some of the information and making some illogical correlations. Zoomies are a joyful and necessary canine ritual, like rolling on something stinky. If a dog has a known structural issue which is severe, or is recuperating from surgery, it's probably prudent to limit some of that crazy play. It's definitely beneficial to let your dog be a dog. That would be a silly thing IMO, to eliminate in a program due to fears of blown knees. Breeding better knees is the obvious solution.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • SayaSaya
    Never heard of this..

Saya does the shiba 500 and she doesn't seem hurt from it. She has fun.

She has done shiba 500 outside and it's even crazier she's all over the place. lol

I don't think it causes hip issues in their pups sure if the dog has HD or LP Then it might cause an issue, but it's not because the dog's parent's did the shiba 500..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • EthosEthos
    A breeder I met told me that, And i got surprised. Thanks for the reassurance.
  • SayaSaya
    Bella my mom's 53 or 55lb boxer does a boxer 500 around the back yard omg she runs so fast it's crazy! Luckily she only does it outside not inside. She's too big for it.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka usually seems like a pretty serious guy but he seems like he lets go of his uptight, meditative self when he's bolting around, using his tail as a rudder.

If anything I'd say the high speed running feels good to the doggie.
    Monkey!
  • Fascinating that this conversation comes up just now. In the news, from near Albany, NY, a warning about allowing the Shiba 500 to happen off-leash:

A 6-month-old puppy had to be pulled from a deep crevice in Thacher Park on Sunday after the pooch ran from its owner and fell off a 75-foot cliff, Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple said.

The puppy, a Shiba Inu named "Shiba," was saved by rescuers who rappelled down the soft shale ledge to rescue the dog. After a two-hour search, Shiba was found curled up in a 3-foot-deep crevice. Shiba suffered a broken leg and is being treated at Latham Animal Hospital, Apple said.

The dog's owner was walking Shiba in the Hales Cave area of the park without a leash when the puppy began to run rapidly in circles, Apple said.

"Then it just jumped off the cliff," Apple said.

A photo of the rescued pup being treated at the link:

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Puppy-saved-after-75-foot-fall-in-Thacher-Park-3971040.php#ixzz2A4QCYSrs
  • Wow that was an interesting article (loved the quotes from the AKC page at the end).

But WTF was up with the owner? Letting a Shiba off leash anywhere, but especially in a place like that? And naming a Shiba "Shiba"? *insert eye roll here*

And that's why Shibas off leash are a bad idea! (There are others, but this is one).
  • EthosEthos
    oh wow.. poor shiba.. Akuma did a shiba 500 outdoors once and he was leashed so I controlled him quickly and took him home to finish his 500.
  • jelliesjellies
    there is a gene that causes dogs to run in circles continuously (a name for this condition I forget, spinning?), and it should be specifically bred out because their joints wear out in a matter of years, but the shiba 500s are no way anything to do with that if a dog can't zoom around a dozen or two laps in a day what kind of dog is it!
    Post edited by jellies at 2012-10-22 21:04:14
  • tatonkatatonka
    Make sure your shiba 500s don't turn into Shiba's 500...

Ok bad joke.
    Monkey!
  • BootzBootz
    Lol really bad joke!

Bootz never does the Shiba 500 in public, thats a side of her she doesn't want other dogs to see ;) only for family's eyes!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    What an article and what a reminder why a Shiba is very very very hard in almost all cases to be trusted off leash.

Funny how most owners know that off leash is not ever recommended for a Shiba even going into ownership, yet all end up wanting to believe their case will be different. They end up in their own mind justifying letting their Shiba off leash in an uncontrolled situation. As this owner justified .... "She said she only was letting her dogs run free because they had done so before responsibly. They were deep inland as well, Cullum said, about two miles from the nearest cliffs."

Sounds reasonable right? Well now who suffers for this? It will be the poor Shiba who could have her leg amputated.
  • micomico
    I wish Suki wasn't so fast or I'd be able to video her doing her Shiba 500 chasing and being chased by 3 labradors, 2 boxers a dalmation and a labradoodle when they have their nightly run across the local farmer's fields.

Maybe we're lucky where we live but I disagree with the belief that shibas can't be trusted off leash, we started training Suki at 8 wks and she's let off at every opportunity along with 80% of the dogs where we regularly walk her. If another dog is on leash we call her back and put her back on until they've passed.
  • JuniJuni
    I also know of quite a few people that can and do have their Shibas off leash. Juni's prey drive is way too big at the moment. Yes, I have a far fetched idea it might slow down at some point. When she is around 10 or 12 maybe...
  • BootzBootz
    Since that shiba 500 article is posted here I just wanted post that unfortunately last week at fort funston (off Leash dog park that's not gated) a big dog ran off the cliff. The dog survived but I was not informed of his condition. We must be careful with our fur babies!

Yes shibas off leash is not impossible BUT
    If you're not 100% comfortable with your dog off leash please don't let them off leash!

• I think a shiba 500 affects a dog's joints, everything does, even walking :p Agree with lindsayt that breeding better knees would be the best solution (and if the breeder has a known knee problem in her stock - find another breeder).

(And I wanted to comment on the off-leash topic, because this seems to be a two-topic thread): I don't trust my dog off leash, not for one second. I know he does the "waaaaait" and also the "come back" commands, but in my head the moment I start trusting him is the moment something goes wrong. So he is offleash when we're in the mountains, but because of my distrust I've always (knock on wood) been the first to discover deers, dogs, etc. and have been able to call him in.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)