For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Funniest stuff said about Shibas
  • knnwangknnwang
    http://jezebel.com/for-the-love-of-doge-please-do-not-get-a-shiba-inu-1498277699

Lol at the "If you like a cat, they're a dog. There are cat people out there. If you want a dog that's a cat, yeah, okay. If you really want a challenge and you want to drive yourself crazy. If you want to spend thousands of dollars repairing the damage your puppy has done, then yeah, go ahead! Be crazy! There are lots of crazy people on the planet.
    " from a breed advocate Nancy Stines.
  • natashanatasha
    Wow! I get that the breed advocate was trying to explain that shiba inu are not for everybody, but she came off as some sort of loony. Some of the comments were interesting, especially the guy who described shibas as having "no soul" after looking after his friend's dogs.
  • RikkaRikka

No, but seriously, I hate that Doge meme.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    Had lots of foxy dog comments. A guy today asked "what make of dog is it?" lol
  • We often get "miniature huskey" .... and living in a condo we get lots of attention with Mika. Everyrime we are in the elevator someone asks what breed she is.
    Also agrees with waling with a friends dog.... the other dog is almost nonexistent... I've started to make a point to introduce both dogs when people ask about Mika... no one cares... lol

The best was when Mika was 4 months and we were walking into petsmart and a toddler turns to his mum really excited and yells and "mum! Look it's a bear!!!" ... that was cute.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I do not get the "It looks like a fox" comment that often at all. I think creamies get different reactions than red Shibas.

As a younger puppy, she was quite often compared to a polar bear cub because of her coloration. She did look the part, she was very fluffy! That's how she got her nickname "Kira Bear" that I always call her. My bf always calls her "Kira Monster"

Kira is so often referred to as a "little wolf" more than anything else! Because I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, I know lovingly refer to her as my little dire wolf (like the white one that Jon Snow has)

Edit: added photos for reference...to any who don't watch GoT

Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-01-18 10:39:44
  • I get is that a FOX? I get THAT all the time!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Thanks for the link @INU RYUU - It was really intriguing. I can't even imagine...175lbs WOW
    imageimage

• cstrashcstrash
    We confuse people that haven't heard of shibas all the time...

"What kind of dog is he?"

"He's a shiba inu"

"Oh sorry, she's a what?"

"No, he's a boy... the breed is called shiba inu."

"Oh, I've never heard of that."

"Yeah, I know."
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    At the store a couple days ago:

"Hes a shiba inu."

"A shiba itzu? A shih tzu mixed with what?"
  • BootzBootz
    Tatonka and I went to a pet expo last week.

"Hey what fox mix dogs you guys have?"

• "Look at how fast he is! That's the fox in him"
    Me - "He's a Shiba Inu"

"Oh no, there is fox in him. See how he digs"
    Me - "He's a Shiba Inu, and other dogs dig in the snow"

After Zuki ignored ignored me when called I was told....

"See! he doesn't come when called! Just like a fox!"
    Me - "I've never tried to call a fox. Zuki, lets go home" and he came running.

Really, I wish I was making this up...
    Post edited by larryeliz at 2014-01-21 14:57:19
  • natashanatasha
    One time when I was walking Yuki a woman asked me "Is that a real dog?".
  • When we first got baby Lily at 7 weeks, we got a lot of, "Oh my god, is that a bear cub?"

...yes...yes she is :D.
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    Today Oki got called a Pomeranian (probably happens a lot when they're puppies) and he was accused of being a Pug / GSD cross. That'd be an interesting mating! Lol.
  • I've gotten a lot of German Shepard, Husky, fox, wolf etc. It makes me so excited when I come across someone who knows its a Shiba.

I was on the other end of this conversation while out on a run dog-less last week. I came across a man walking a Shiba/Chow mix and he was the most beautiful and well behaved dog! I wanted to take him home with me haha.
  • amtiamti
    I was walking Sheba and Kaji when an elderly man asked if I was walking cayotes (coyotes). I told him no, and he said they looked like cayotes. Then he said they were pretty and left me alone. I don't think my fur balls look anything like a coyote.
  • kayla4554 said:

Some guy at the dog park the other day asked if Maya was from Canada because she looked Canadian...what the heck?!?

Yes, I often get confused for a Shiba myself. :D
  • Totally not Shiba related, but once a woman confused my Boston Terrier for a Pug. Huh!?

Oh, and my BT is pure breed w/ pedigree papers so he is brindle and white, not a solid colour or anything. It was just so bizarre.
  • KenzoLA said:

Stranger: Isn't that one of those...yakisobas?
    Me: You mean shiba inu?
    Stranger: Yeah, that!
    Me: You were close though!

this is the best one LOL

is that a takoyaki?
  • RikkaRikka
    The most common inquiries I get are "Husky" and "Klee Kai", the more unusual ones were "German Shepherd", "Rottweiler", and even "Chow Mix"? There's only been one instance of a stranger who was vehement about Sagan being a Klee Kai. ¬_¬
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Usually strangers say "he's so cute and well behaved" which is what makes me laugh... cute? yes... well behaved around strangers? yes. Just me and him hanging out... no chance he'll listen to me absent treats.

• NahatalieNahatalie
    Ha ha...shug. Oki is definitely not one of those! I have yet to come across anyone who can correctly identify him. He recently got mistaken for a shar pei, the man seemed so pleased with himself for a moment until I corrected him lol. I think he meant chow chow but still...and he's been called that too! Oh, and an old man was convinced he was an actual fox.
  • Someone just asked me if my Shiba was a Besenji....I think they have a lot of resemblance, but I would never say that a Shiba looks like a Besenji.
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • HirokiHiroki
    Yeah we have been asked if Hiroki is a "Benji" a few times as well! My favourite one, however, keeping in mind we are in the UK... "Look, a dingo!"
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I got a similar question today. "Oh! Isn't that the type of dog that doesn't really bark, they yodel?"

Me: "No, that's a Basenji"

:-w
    imageimage

• INU RYUUINU RYUU
    This Basenji discussion reminds me of the time my pair of Shiba met a pair of Basenji at the dog park. As they were eyeing each other I thought they were thinking, "you kind of look like me. But, "

They got along well to the surprise of the Basenji owner who said they do not get along with other dogs.
    犬竜
  • So, not necessarily funny, but here's what I most commonly get asked / told. I wondered if this rang a bell with anyone else!

What breed is he? (A what? Never heard of it. Someone even went "pftt...alright then, whatever." I thought to myself I don't know how else to say it! That's just what it's called!)
    How big will he grow?
    Where did you get him from?
    How much did he cost? (?!)
    He looks like a fox.
    He looks like a teddy bear.
    His fur is so soft.

He get SO much attention! Now, don't me wrong, I like introducing him to lots of randoms, but I do think I've had the same conversation about 50 times now lol.

Oh, someone shouted "what does the fox say" at him the other day lol.
    Post edited by Nahatalie at 2014-02-02 17:42:23
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I can say that I am usually thoroughly exhausted from any outdoor event where there are lots of people like the Farmer's Market. Not from walking, but from having to answer so many questions.

The question I hear most often is definitely a variation of "What is that/What is she/What kind of dog is that"

imageimage

• Walked Oki in the park today and came across a woman who actually knew what he was. She then proceeded to tell me how difficult they are (she's never owned one) and I shouldn't have got one as a first time dog owner as he'll get really difficult as he grows up and they're not for everyone (I didn't feel like getting into a discussion about all the research I've done and the precautions we're taking and support this place gives when there is a problem, as I'm well aware our lovely little pup will probably have crazy and difficult spells! We're aware of what could be in store). She also said "good luck with that!" as we parted. I thought it was pretty rude. Even if she did disapprove of shibas, you don't need to say it to the owner. If I was more childish I would have made a comment about her fat dog. I think I'm annoyed because I am so worried he will get bad, and I don't need a stranger telling me that! First negetive reaction we've had. Not expecting everyone to coo over him, but if someone doesn't like him usually they just walk on past!
  • Chihiro got called a short-haired Pom as a puppy. I'm pretty sure those aren't a thing lol.

Most conversations go something like this:

"S/He's so cute!!! And s/he looks JUST like a fox!!! What kind of dog is s/he?"
    "She's a Shiba Inu."
    "Oh...what kind of mix is that?"
    "She's purebred."
    "Are you sure?"
    *sigh*

What I want to say..."Nope, the breeder was pretty sure a fox got to the mom, so she's really an abomination of nature and shouldn't exist. It explains the impossible personality. Cool, right?"

I really do love talking about her when people know what she is/don't second-guess me.

I also had a pic of her and me up on an online dating site for a while. Almost every message I got was some variation of "Omg, you have a doge! Is that why you got him? Did you name him Doge? You should name him Doge!" And that's why I've given up on online dating.

@Nahatalie: It's one thing for a Shiba owner to try and educate someone too overwhelmed by the cuteness to see the devilish side, but this is something new. Sorry you had to go through that :/ Maybe come up with a line like "Thanks for your concern, but I did my research and I'm happy to face any trials that lay ahead." Then smile and change the subject.
  • @QuothTheShiba My friend was excited that he is "Doge" lol.

I do love talking about him too. Most people are fascinated and ask the usual questions, so I was taken aback with this lady. If I ever do meet her when he's older and if she says something like "I bet he's a handful now" I will make out that he is a perfect angel even if he turns out to be a brat lol.
  • Since I think this thread is just too dang funny, I'm going to add another incident that I came across. :D

I decided to carrying Yoshi into the store since it was snowy and mucky outside that day, and there was this gentlemen walking past me.....he did a double take, then ask me, "What kind of dog is that?" I said that he is a Shiba Inu. The guy replied, "Isn't that a wolf??" Bahahahaaha! I can't get enough of that one. The guy clearly knew that he was a dog and not a wolf. Everyone has their own way of conversating I guess! ;)
    photo 6b74d441-46df-4852-af9a-1f765aea9bb0.jpg
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Well it was bound to happen. While walking past two teenage boys one said to the other, "Look. It's a Doge!"

I said, "you mean as in Dogecoins?"

They said, "yep, aren't they Shiba Inu's ?"
    犬竜
  • The best thing I've said about Riley was "whoa is that a domesticated fox??" Then I proceed to tell them what/where a Shiba is from because most people where I live have never heard of this breed
  • Kira_Kira said:

I do not get the "It looks like a fox" comment that often at all. I think creamies get different reactions than red Shibas.

As a younger puppy, she was quite often compared to a polar bear cub because of her coloration. She did look the part, she was very fluffy! That's how she got her nickname "Kira Bear" that I always call her. My bf always calls her "Kira Monster"

Kira is so often referred to as a "little wolf" more than anything else! Because I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, I know lovingly refer to her as my little dire wolf (like the white one that Jon Snow has)

Edit: added photos for reference...to any who don't watch GoT

I'm quite the GOT fan myself lol. that's awesome Kira looks almost identical to Ghost
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    YAY @Grigor92 - We LOVE GOT and I am proud to have a little "Ghost"!!! :)

Can't wait for the new season to hurry and start. Reading book one (I'm a newbie) on my Kindle now!
    imageimage

• I got a new one. Someone just told me my Shiba "looks aggressive" because he has a "cocky" bounce to his curly tail. Well yeah, Bowdu is a cocky dog sometimes and he does walk with a bit of a strut, but his bouncy tail has always been adorable to me, never "aggressive"! And then the same person said Bowpi seemed "pretentious," even though she's the one that's more social. People sure read dogs in weird ways...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • I was at an ice cream shop the other day, waiting outside at these little tables with Haku while my boyfriend got the goods. This older lady and her son (maybe grandson?) sit next to us and the boy starts telling her that I have a puppy Husky and that they pull sleighs in Alaska and that he has a heavy coat. Mind you, they're whispering so I try to mind my own business.

Then, the lady comes over to me and starts lecturing me about having a dog with a coat like that in Miami is just cruelty and I should feel ashamed of myself.

I couldn't even get mad. I had to laugh.

• Kira_Kira said:

YAY @Grigor92 - We LOVE GOT and I am proud to have a little "Ghost"!!! :)

Can't wait for the new season to hurry and start. Reading book one (I'm a newbie) on my Kindle now!

And yay, GoT fans! I have to suppress the urge to dress up Haku and my two cats as dragons and pretend to be a Khaleesi ... Hey, a girl can dream, right?
  • I had a 7 or 8 year boy go "Look mum! A cat!". The mum then told him it was a dog so he called it a catdog.
  • JuniJuni
    Ok I got the best comment the other day. We were walking home from doggy day care and met this lady who said "oh isn't she the dog that rides in the bicycle basket normally?" So I explained that she does that in the mornings and we walk home in the afternoon. Then she took another look at her and said "she looks like she has a bit of a headache". What?!?!?!
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    Ha ha! People are silly...
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I got the 'miniature husky' question the other night. I think we should have shiba bingo boards or some kind of drinking game....
  • My husband, daughter, and I just got back from taking our Shiba, Blaze, out for his first official walk and it was just to funny. We live in a small farming town in Iowa and were walking down the street when we pasted by a house party/cook-out. There were a bunch of people there, both adults and kids. As we were pasting I heard someone say "Hey, how did you get that fox to walk on a leash?" I almost started laughing. We went over and told them he wasn't a fox he is a dog. The confused looks on their faces was too funny, none of them had ever seen or heard of a Shiba Inu before. We have a lot of foxes in the area so I can see where they would get confused. It was fun introducing some new people to the breed (and a good socializing experience for our Blaze). Needless to say it was a pretty fun walk. :)
    photo Paint-Project-Backround3.jpg
    Proud Momma of 2 cats, 1 Morkie, 1 Shiba Inu, 3 hamsters, 2 gerbils, & 20 finches :)

"A person's heart is not truly open until they have known the love of an animal."

"Those who say that dogs can't smile have never had a dog who loved them"
  • Every time I post a picture of my dog... anywhere...

(Also tribute to all the GoT fans in here).
    Post edited by RurouniInuGirl at 2014-08-04 04:14:46
  • RooneyRooney
    What made me really annoyed one day at the dog park was this guy who (post standard fox comments) thought it would be funny to make fun of Rooney's harness and say it looked like a bra. I gave him a look of death and walked away. Rooney's a former show dog and absolutely terrified of both standard collars and regular leashes, so I didn't think it was very funny.

He's relatively new in my household, so I've been telling a lot of people I got a dog and the standard first question is "What kind of dog?" Few are the people who have heard of a Shiba Inu and fewer still are the ones who can pronounce it. I've resorted to telling people who have never heard of the breed that he looks like a miniature Akita or a large fox.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • People are so dense and ignorant.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." That was a profound quote for a reason. :-w
    imageimage

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)