For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Funniest stuff said about Shibas
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Had to share. While walking last night Zooey became fascinated with a little boy who was shoveling the driveway on other side of the street. When we turned and went by him he came up and said:
    " Is that a Shiba Inu?"
    I said. "why yes it is and I am surprised you know that"
    He just smiled and said he "played a video game last night and you can adopt a Shiba Inu."

He was so proud of himself.
  • Nintendogs has Shiba Inus. They're cute. :)
  • amtiamti
    That's right! I think a shiba was on the cover of one of the Nintendogs!

This is such a cute thread! I am always surprised people ask us what breed Kaji is. Japan is flooded with Shibas but I rarely see them in the states so I would have assumed most people would think he was a mutt. According to my son, Shiba characteristics are unique and very few American dogs have curly tails, so people assume they are purebreds. Not sure if he is right, but that was a good enough explaination for me.

I get the fox lookalike a lot. I guess I was most offended when someone told me that shibas look nothing like a fox. Don't know why, but I still want to growl at her when I see her (she's never seen my dogs).

I love the Dox comment. I'm going to call my dog a dox from now on! :-))
  • Lol I finally met one of those people yesterday who INSIST that Shibas are part fox! We were at the dog park yesterday and this guy kept saying she HAS to be part fox! I'm seriously hoping he was joking but he seemed so serious about it....
  • GemmaGemma
    I had a little boy a couple of weeks ago who cleverly told his sister to "look at the chihuahua" and she told him that chihuahuas don't have curly tails, to which he replied "must be crossed with a pug then" WHY GOD WHY?!
    Post edited by Gemma at 2013-02-05 16:00:55
  • RAM25RAM25
    We have the usual 'OH My GAWD THAT GIRL HAS CAPTURED A FOX!' hysterics every now and then...
    the funniest was a man the other day who said "Oh it's an Akita!"
    "No a Shiba Inu"
    "Oh yeah I just love Akita's, she's gonna get huge!"
    "No, she's going to be quite small, she's a Shiba Inu"
    "Wow you'd never think she'd get so big by looking at her..."
    "No I wouldn't because she's a Shiba Inu"
    " Did you know that Akita's eat wolves?"
    "Err...yeah ok she can be an Akita if you want..."
  • LoniLoni
    I was most surprised while on a road trip, we were going from GA to LA and stopped for gas/pit stop in some hillbilly looking town in Alabama, real tiny country type place. While I was walking Kiyomi(shiba) and Kimiko(shikoku/laika) to a grassy area to potty this guys looks at them and says "Are those Shibas?". I was so shocked that he knew the breed. Like I was literally almost speechless, but then told him that yes, one of them was a Shiba. He told me he recognized them because his neighbor had 2.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    "They don't bark, right?"
    "Do they shed?"

I also find it funny when people comment on my Shiba being "nice" because they can pet him. Most Shibas I have met have been OK with it so I think that is a little bit of a misconception.
  • We have had the Fox comment numerous times - so once, just for fun, I said yes, he's a fox. The guy was like "OMG, where did you get him, I want one" so I said I got him at the petshop at our local mall! DUH! I hope he went in and asked for a fox, I would have loved to have seen their faces!!!
  • DaghainDaghain
    I keep getting "Is that a puppy? Is that an Akita?" No one here seems to know that a) no, she is not a puppy and b) no, she is not getting bigger. She's eight.

However, she is the hit of the apartment complex and everyone loves her because she is so freaking cute. It helps that she loves people and allows everyone to pet her.
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I've gotten all of these guesses in one trip to Petsmart: corgi, german sheppard, akita, american spitz, and husky. #-o
  • Mace00700Mace00700
    Outside the normal mini Huskey questions, little kids in my apartments always ask with wide eyes, "Is that a wolf puppy?!" lol I tell them its a Shiba Inu and get a blank stare in response hahaha. I've gotten a couple adults ask the same, oddly enough. Yeah I found a wolf cub in the wild and took him in. One of these days I'll tell someone that lol.
  • LosechLosech
    Today, I got an interesting commentary on Conker.
    I was deciding what to get at a coffee stand. Some HoboLady walks up to Conker and I and proceeds to try to cajole him over to her. (That never works...) Anywho, she says:

"Hey, that's a Dingo. Didn't you know? It's from Australia. It's a Dingo. You gotta watch out for aggression, 'cause it's a wild dog. It's a Dingo from Australia."

Is that so, HoboLady? I was not aware that my Shiba was actually a Dingo. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

"I'm gonna tell you something. Where did you get him?"

From a shelter that got him from a puppy mill.

"That's what I thought. Well, I'm gonna tell you something, and you're not gonna like it."

Pause for dramatic affect.

"He's been abused. You know how I can tell? He's shy, he won't come up to me. And that car that drove past? The noise scared him. That poor dog has been shot at. Cause yanno, it's a Dingo from Australia and they's usually been abused and shot at."

Funny thing is, Conker is not afraid of gunshots. (Sudden explosions from crappy cars, yes, since he was already worried about HoboLady's proximity.) He actually likes gunshots, 'cause that means a squirrel is gonna fall out of a tree somewhere nearby.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @loesch, The Dingo ate the Hobolady!
    犬竜
  • WolfHallWolfHall
    @Inu Ryuu - Oh, don't!
  • HaloHalo
    Lady at dollar tree the other day argued with me that I couldn't possibly have a shiba inu (she said she knew what they were) because my puppy was "too small to be a shiba inu"........apparently she thought shiba inus and akitas were the same thing.... :| I am asked all the time what kind of dog I have, many people saying they have "never seen anything like it". I have gotten the "its your dog a corgie mix?" before. lol. Nope
  • Hey I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd join in on the thread!

Kai has been mistaken for a husky, malamute, akita, alaskan klee kai, basenji, mutt, and various mispronounced versions of "shiba inu". I've only met about three people who knew of the breed, one at the farmers market, one guy who works at a wine store who lived in Japan for a few years, and one woman who helped me wrangle a rouge strange dog who had broken through his invisible fence during one of our walks. It was a good thing, too because I called for help and she spotted me and Kai and said "oh that's a shiba inu! I bet she's not thrilled with this dog after her". It was a relief that she came to the rescue because this dog's owner was nowhere to be seen and was circling us like a vulture. Its nice that at least some people know the breed enough to know they aren't always the best with strange dogs.

Anyway, I've heard the fox comments and the curly tail envy. She loves sticking her head out the window on car rides and that smilie face of hers makes everyone chuckle as we drive by.
  • KBBD83KBBD83
    When my Shiba was a puppy he had the black muzzle and little black flecks on each of his eyebrows. Our trainer always said he looked like a little lion cub. I thought that was cute.
  • ElemyuElemyu
    These are too funny! Just wanted to revive/add to this:

On the way in the apartment, a little girl looked at Bellatrix and said, "Aww...kitty!"

During puppy kindergarten, the father of two little girls trying to train their Chihuahua Mix (and who keep on trying to play with and distract Bellatrix from learning because obviously Bella is cuter and more playful than their timid Chi mix) kept on talking to my fiance (who was also trying to learn) and asked if my dog was some kind of Chihuahua...I was a little offended by that one. Yeah...is it obvious I don't care for this family? That's why we are changing classes next week.
  • RikkaRikka
    @Elemyu - Sorry, but... what? You're changing the puppy class because some guy is striking conversations with your fiance? Unless he's posing as an extreme distraction, and you don't think you're benefiting out of it because of this guy, I don't think that's justified at all. Plus you can move or tell him to please stop talking. I don't see how him asking if your dog is a Chihuahua mix is that bad. o.O

I've had people ask me if Sagan was straight-up Rottweiler or German Shepherd. It doesn't offend me, it's more so humorous. The only time I've ever been offended by a remark was a stranger trying to imply that Sagan was a Klee Kai. After insisting that he's actually a Shiba Inu, they told me how "wrong and blind" I was. I left that conversation pretty mad.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Um, I have no comment on switching classes, but I can say that I'd almost much rather have someone insist I was wrong that ask if my dog has Chihuahua in him/is a Chihuahua. I've met some really sweet Chis, but I just really think they're ugly little dogs and so, to me, it's like calling my dog ugly to say he looks anything like one. Mostly I just try to stay nice about it, because I know no one means to be insulting.
  • ElemyuElemyu
    @Rikka I'm just going from the Friday class to the Saturday class. I am changing it more for the girls. They are too distracting. Once when I was trying to get Bella to focus (after going to the other side of the room), the girl crawled up to Bella and went in her face and started crying when Bella tried to snap at her. The instructor told her to go back to her side as she was approaching, but she still didn't listen. The instructor thought it'd be much better too if we went to the Saturday classes. She said there are more different kinds of puppies anyway (Bella kind of stresses out their Chi).

@notoriousscrat I met some really nice and sweet Chis too, I just did a double take at Bella and the guy's Chi when he asked if she was some kind of Chi. Like, "...are you serious?"
  • ToshiToshi
    People always want to know what kind of dog I have and call the shiba beautiful. After 5 minutes of stares and petting I get "oh.... ... she's cute too." (Just now noticing my other dog next to me-kai ken)
  • I don't understand why people are offended when they are asked if their Shiba is an other race. Shiba's are not known well here and stranger will obviously guess with something their familiar with and has similar trait with our Shiba (foxy face, curled tail, akita look, etc...). I think it's just a nice opportunity to educate them and present them to the race, and maybe grow the Shiba community.

That being said, I had a few funny encounter.
    -Omg what a cute dog, what race is it?
    -It's a Shiba Inu
    -What's a Shiba Inu?
    -Well... it's the dog atached to my leash...

-Wow is that a Shiba Inu?
    _Yes, it is!
    -For real!?
    -Yes...

Overheard two people talking about my Shiba at the dog park
    -Oh look at that cute dog
    -Yeah it's cute but it's a very evil dog. They always show their teeths and are using to hunts bears..

-How old is your dog?
    -Six month
    -Ha so he'll get way bigger
    -No no, he has it's adult size (Molly is about 25 pounds)
    -Na trust me man she's going to get way bigger.. They are sled dog after all
    -Okay...
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    Apparently I have a: Little bear, coyote, coyote mix, fox, husky, weird husky, mini husky, husky mix, chow mix, etc. If the people are willing to listen, I'm willing to explain a bit. I might just tell people I'm a fox whisperer, and his jumpy excited puppy antics will actually be impressive to them ;P. I did run into one woman who said: Beautiful Shiba pup! I have 5!. That was the most shocking response. FIVE SHIBAS!?
  • JuniJuni
    My best comment from a complete stranger was recently when we sat on the train and a lady came up to us; "is that Juni or Shiro?" !!! I said her name is Juni. The lady told me she enjoys reading the Swedish Shiba forum and was guessing who we were! There are not that many cream Shibas in Sweden at all and Shiro is a huge cream male living close to Stockholm too.
    I enjoyed being a near-celebrity :-)
  • EmiChanEmiChan
    Since Emi is a full blown red head B&T, the usual question is "mini-GSD?"

Being in a nice part of LA, I don't get anyone trying to tell me what my dog is lol. Usually they know or go, "Ohhh a Shiba! I'm not used to that color for them!" or just ask what she is. Lots of Shiba Ibu repeats. hehe. Emi gets a lot of attention and likes to go bear hug every Dane or Dane mix she can get her paws on!
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    Wow you have a pet fox!
  • lol this thread is funny...

Bella mostly gets "what kind of dog is that? Looks just like a fox!"

I bring Bella to work with me everyday and my coworker in the next office pets, touches Bella EVERYDAY. One day last week she screeched out loud and was like "OMG!!! Bella's tail is curled up!!! Its so cute! Is it because I am petting her?" hehehe....she has never noticed it until then!
  • ShintalverShintalver
    Shinta has had many of the fox, coyote, wolf, or husky comments. He also gets mistaken for a female a lot. Favorite conversations about Shinta as a puppy:

His vet: well, she will blah, blah, blah. And then she will blah, blah, blah, and she'll needs shots...

Me: even worse, "She'll" need to be neutered.

Vet: *pause and look* Why yes, yes he will.

Lady holding dog , w/me w/Shinta on a leash at the vet counter: OH, look at the kitty! (to her dog)

Me: It's a dog...

Lady, now looking very offended: "what?"

Me: He's a puppy...

Lady: oh...

(the offended part has always made me wonder what she thought I initially said.)
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan receives the female thing a lot too, @Shintalver.

"Oh, she's so beautiful! What's her name?"
    "Heh, um, his name is Sagan..."

I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable after correcting someone on his gender. I've also always wondered if Shibas look innately feminine...
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-06-22 03:33:32
  • I get a lot of people thinking that Kai is a guy. I guess it might be because she is a tad big for a shiba and her name is kind of androgynous. Also, I don't have her wear pink or purple collars with bows, hearts, or pokadots on them. She gets a lot of collars with earth tones like sage and hunter green, rust, mustard yellow, charcoal, brown, and teal. She also has ONE lavender collar, so I guess that's me caving into my feminine side.

Sometimes I also get asked what kind of mix she is. Especially if I mention she's a rescue.

And I don't remember if I mentioned before, but whenever she raises her hackles (like upon meeting a new pushy dog or entering the dog park) I get people asking if I shave her to give her a back mohawk... 8-|
  • @rikka - no I think people are just clueless. Vi is a very feminine looking girl (even some breeders at shows have mentioned it), and daintily built to boot and people call her a boy all the time. I've also had people assume that my very full faced, masculine looking 25 lb Bear is a girl and the dainty 17 lb Violet is a boy (puppy) so....

[Edited for a typo]
    Post edited by violet_in_seville at 2013-06-22 21:28:55
  • RikkaRikka
    @violet_in_seville - Right. I can very easily tell from a female to a male Shiba (aside from obvious anatomical parts), but man, I'd say I get more people assuming Sagan is a female more than male. It was worse when he was a puppy, which I felt he looked even more boyish.
  • Everyone thinks ginger is a boy for some reason.
    I mean.. you have eyes...
    Males kind of have that extra under them....
  • jennjenn
    @SabineAstroph when my (male) pup was younger they used to look "under there" and still would say "oh what a cute puppy, what's her name?"... super awkward, I think some people are just a bit dense. :P

When I took Riggy in for his first vet appointment, the receptionist sent us home with the new "kitten" bag. I wonder if she really thought he was a kitten or if it was an accident... :P
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
    Post edited by jenn at 2013-06-22 19:38:55
  • People always seems to think that Zim is a girl (although most of the time there's sort of a question mark after it). There's one woman at the dog park who kept calling him a girl on accident, then would apologize and say "he's just too pretty to be a boy!"

In Zim's case the purple collar and beauty mark probably don't help.
  • She has a Martha Stewart brown and white leather collar. So i guess it can go both ways. But i mean you could just ask "girl or boy" lol
  • amtiamti
    Kaji is often mistaken for a girl too. It doesn't help that I call him a her sometimes. Yes, I am going to sit in the corner now.
    Kaji May 2013 11 months old photo IMG_6040_zps0cca4c6f.jpg
  • "is that a asian fox?"
    wait what?
    "her eyes are all slanty and she looks like a fox!"

*dies*
  • tatonkatatonka
    @amti, hehe he does look very girly :)
    Monkey!
  • knnwangknnwang
    That Shibas act like this:

photo Test_zps56af7ef6.jpg
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    LOL at the Game of Thrones Shiba.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard "It looks like a fox", I'd be able to buy a new truck. Sometimes they even repeat themselves.
    "It looks like a fox."
    "Yeah... kinda."
    "Cuz it really looks like a fox."
    "Oookay."
  • There's a local place that we like to go to when we have dinner with a friend because it has outdoor seating and we can bring Zim with us. One evening when we were doing that we had so many people come up and comment on him that our friend said, "if one more person says he looks like a fox, I'm going to kill someone."
  • amtiamti
    @tatonka, Yes, it doesn't help that Taisho is so masculine looking:
    Taisho April 2013 photo IMG_6017_zps7d0a8bb2.jpg
    We were at Lowe's with both dogs and Kaji went up to a man in the parking lot who was walking by. He stopped to pet Kaji and chat. The man told me he knew which was the female because females can always spot him.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-06-26 02:36:46
  • NalasPapaNalasPapa
    I get told all the time that "Nala is such a beauty queen! Omg!" and my youngest niece refers to her as "baby Fox."

As to the EBS thing, it's my giveaway that she's about to do the poopoodance... we call it "giving papa the winky stinky"...
  • DrySeDrySe
    Tsuki and Plue are called girls all the time. I have been told by many people that they are so pretty they assume its a girl..... Although I guess I can never tell the gender of other breeds unless I catch a glimpse of the extras below so I don't really mind.

I recently went on a trip to Eastern WA and had this same conversation with over 3 different people in Moses Lake, WA.

Person: Hey is that part fox?
    Me: Nope, they are shibas, a japanese hunting breed.
    Person: It is part wolf then right?
    Me: No just a dog.
    Person: Part coyote then?
    Me: No you probably haven't seen them before since they are rare around here but it is a dog.
    Person: But they have fox in them right?
    Me: *Walks away*
  • LemonChickenLemonChicken
    The wolf comment may not really be that far off. I recall an article in National Geographics about canine DNA and a Shiba was on the top of the list for most wolf DNA. I searched here and sure enough @Xabi commented on back in Jan of 2012.

Xabi said:

Has anyone looked at the Feb 2012 issue of National Geographic magazine? The cover story is about dog DNA and there's this gorgeous chart which lists eighty-five different breeds (starting with the Shiba Inu!) and categorizes their genetic traits into four different major classifications: wolflike, herders, hunters, and mastifflike. Each breed has a portion of each type in its DNA, but of the 85 breeds listed the shiba is the most wolflike.

Of the wolflike category it states, "With roots in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, these breeds are genetically closest to wolves, suggesting they are the oldest domesticated breeds." It's not exactly groundbreaking news or really anything of note, but personally I completely dig scientific information, and it's such a neat chart!

I'm geeking out on this infographic! I've tried to find it online, but I haven't been successful yet. I also did an independent study on wolves as a child, so I've always felt a bond to them, which may have informed why I've had such a strong bond to this breed? Okay, I'm done being so goofy, but I'm going to have to run out and get a copy of this issue after work today.

Here's a link to the cover story:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/build-a-dog/ratliff-text

And then @sandrat888 posted a picture of the graphics.

So this wolf reference may not be that far off.

Recently we were asked during Panko's first canoe trip if he was a Domesticated Fox. There are such a thing? I want one!
    Panko!
    Post edited by LemonChicken at 2013-07-04 10:15:45
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @LemonChicken

"Recently we were asked during Panko's first canoe trip if he was a Domesticated Fox. There are such a thing? I want one!"

You mean something like this
    photo foxy.jpg
    犬竜
  • RikkaRikka
    Recently we were asked during Panko's first canoe trip if he was a Domesticated Fox. There are such a thing? I want one!

Yes, there is. Only for a low, low price of $8,900!

There's also a video... her channel has a lot more:

Post edited by Rikka at 2013-07-04 12:34:15

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)