For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Funniest stuff said about Shibas
  • When Maggie was little, on her first trip to the vet, she was so tired afterwards that she was just laying on the counter half-asleep as we were checking out. Another dog-owner comes up and starts petting her saying "AWW, YOUR CAT IS SO SOFT!" Then Mags lifted up her head to glare at the woman, and she goes "Oh... oh." And walks away. HAHAHA I was dying.

A girl my husband works with was thrilled to hear that he had a Shiba Inu too. Her cousin had "one o'dem fox dogs too." David wasn't sure if he heard correctly, so he asked what she meant. So then she proceeds to tell him that they are actually bred with foxes and that the breeders just lie to you and pick a random female to be the "momma dog," when in reality, the mom is a fox. David tells her otherwise, and then she tells him that apparently he didn't do enough research before bringing home such a sophisticated and wild animal......

We've heard the classic "Aww, it looks like a little fox!" over and over, but these are the best.
  • A friend of mine was at the dog park and saw a creamie.. she talked to the human..
    "is that your shiba inu? i have a friend who has two of them"

"yes, that is mine. What color does your friend have?"

"they are both black and tan"

human shudders.. "oh i'm so sorry to hear that... she should know that she got an inferior shiba. everyone knows that the white shiba is the most prized.. Does she have a male by any chance? i'd like to breed mine"

wth?
  • Zim has been called a cat before too. The first time was by some very little kids when he was a puppy and it was actually rather cute. The second time was when I was holding Zim at Petsmart while we checked out the Catsnap (local cat rescue) cats that they had and someone saw him from behind. When they saw him from the front, they recognized he was just a small dog instead of a huge cat.

@Sarah_Jay12 That fox-dog story just blows my mind. I can't even think of anything else to say to it.

We actually also get that Zim looks like a little fox/has a fox face a lot. It's not uncommon to hear it at least once when we go out with him if we actually stop to talk to someone, which wasn't really something I expected to get since Zim is a black and tan. I expected to hear "husky" a lot (and we do), but not that.
  • While we don't get the fox comments often because Onyx is a black and tan, we do get the husky question a lot. I think the funniest comments we heard (all in one day) by some kids on the playground outside was "Is that a wolf?", "Is that a raccoon?", and my personal favorite, one kid points out to his mom that "It's a werewolf!".
  • Ah! These are all so funny.
    At the fox thing: whatttt?! That's just... I don't even know....

I've had little kids comments on her exposed butt, or how sassy she is, but never about the breed.
  • I don't really get why people get offended or irked or whatever by the "looks like a fox" thing. I think it's part of their physical charm, and suspect that most people who ask if a Shiba actually IS a fox (as opposed to "looks like", which is just observing a morphological similarity) are probably joshing you or just being mildly socially awkward (like people who cheerfully ask "How's the weather up there?" to anyone who is 6' or taller).

Observing visual similarities between things/people/animals/dogs is simply human nature, not some chunder-headed doofball thing to say (unless you're saying that Great-Aunt Millie's chow-chow looks just like her) , and if people marvel at the similarity of a dog to a fox, wolf, bear, otter, crane, or whatever (breed dependent) it hardly seems reason to take umbrage. I don't mind it at all. However, some kid on the street said "those dogs have weird tails" while I was out for a walk with another shiba owner today and I gave him a total death glare. It's like "don't insult mah dawwwwwg." But saying they look like foxes? Well, sure. The urojiro thing and other similarities are pretty hard to deny, even if they're not clones or carbon copies of foxes. I don't know why they aren't more wolfy since supposedly they're the modern dog most closely genetically related to wolves. Above huskies even.

The only reason I can see to get one's hackles up about a comparison is if it's clearly unflattering. There's a neighboring dog that looks like John Goodman but I'm sure as heck not going to say it, even though I personally think that's pretty cute. I'm sure many of you saw the Hitler Cat meme. Lots of cats have that marking and boy would that be an adoption issue. But foxes? I'd take it as a compliment and say "IKR! He/she is actually a Shiba Inu."
    Post edited by Kitsune1 at 2012-12-22 19:32:58
  • I've gotten more "Is that a wolf comments?" lately rather than fox guesses. Yes... that's my bright orange mini wolf.
  • You gotta know people are jelly that you have a bright orange mini-wolf.
  • People have asked me if my Kai Ken is a hyena. No, actually, someone insisted on it--said he's watched a special on the Discovery channel about them.

Poor Leo, who does not look like a hyena!
  • RikkaRikka
    "I don't really get why people get offended or irked or whatever by the "looks like a fox" thing."

I'm not necessarily offended, but after you receive the comment, "Is that a Husky?" or "Is that a wolf-hybrid/mix?" becomes tiresome quickly. I STILL receive it on a daily basis after five months of owning Sagan. I'm sure I'll still receive it for the next ten years, too. I was more appreciative and had an open mind about it, enjoying discussing the breed to every individual stranger who inquired about it when he was much younger, but now, I groan whenever I hear that question. And yeah, people have said unflattering things about my Shiba. I've had quite a few people feel uncomfortable around him because he simply has black fur (upon speculation, mostly around Asian folk, due to maybe their superstitious nature) and even had homeless say that he's a "killer dog."

Then again, I am a bitter old woman, hehe.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-12-22 23:44:15
  • I am also not "offended" by it, and I think that almost seemingly wild look to Maggie is a trait that makes her more beautiful as a dog and by her breed standard. I think it's kind of cute when people say "Oh she looks like a fox!" because honestly, Shibas do have a very fox-like appearance, I think!

But like the girl my husband met who was, unfortunately, serious about them being half-fox, it's the ignorance that irritates me. Like, really...? Breeding a fox and a domestic dog together is not even physically possible (as far as I'm aware). And also people who tell me that I don't know about my dog's breed. Ummmmmm, no. :P lol
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Yesterday's comment left me amused. Mother to her 2 year old daughter, "They're dogs but they don't look like dogs!"
    犬竜
  • GemmaGemma
    I was at the bus stop with Laika the other week and a guy came and asked if she was a cross between a fox and a dog! I told him it was genetically impossible, but he ignored me and then went on to ask how I caught a fox and how much a "Dox" would cost.

I couldnt even. Just. What. Why.

I just stood there staring at him blankly until someone else came and asked to pet her. I still can't believe it, I mean a "dox", seriously?!

Well I guess its either that, or a "fog" ;)
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @gemma or since her name is Laika it would be a Log or Lox.
    犬竜
  • WingWing
    "What kind of dog is that?"
    A shiba inu
    "A shiba-wha?"

Most people just go all cutesy on him and zone out. Lol
  • I was somewhat ?! to discover that the desk girl at the vet's office recorded her breed as "Sheba Emu" - I informed Kit that she is a bird, and she was surprised to hear it. Somewhat less surprised when I clarified that it was a bird that couldn't fly.

Also: "dox!" I'm using that one someday when I'm feeling impish and am asked what kind of dog she is.
  • RikkaRikka
    *twitches at the desk girl* ಠ_ಠ
  • Kit and an actual red fox got into a high noon situation this evening, terminated by me picking her up and hauling butt for the back door. Kit was straining at the leash for it, and I was yelling SHOO and it started to run away, then doubled back and came our direction. I figured it was time to go. Red foxes are really common around here, my brother's cat got into a fight with one recently (brother ran outside and broke it up, but my money would have been on the cat - a 20 lb tom made out of pure muscle and moxie - and what alerted them to the fight was the fox screaming). I don't think they're usually aggressive, they're really just gardeners' helpers, keeping the rabbit and mole and whatnot population down.

DOX VS FOX: NEWZATELEVEN.
  • I had a woman swear to me on our walk today that Masa was a chow chow - corgi mix. She was walking a shih tzu and claims her job is a dog behaviorist. In the meantime, Her dog was yapping and running around out of control, but when Masa sat down and looked up at me (he didn't bark, or whine to even meet this dog, they came up to us, he kind of looked up at me and was like "do we really have to do this"), apparently that was "aggressive" behavior. She said that she would then offer her services and work with him, with the first lesson being free.

I'm pretty sure she was wrong about over half the things she said to me.

CH Arden Masa Fusa is his full and decorated name, but I call him Masa!
  • Aiko1Aiko1
    I was walking Aiko around the neighborhood back in the summer and this woman (about 25 to 30 years of age) was walking to her car when she just shreaked
    "OMG That is the neatest thing I have ever seen" while looking at Aiko..
    I asked her "what?"
    To which she replied "How did you get your cat to walk on a harness?! That is so cute!"

I honestly had no idea how to react and just started laughing and told her he was a dog and she jumped into her car as quickly as possible :P
  • That is hilarious about the "dog behaviorist" - Masa a chow corgi? LOL. She probably opens her oven when she wants to get something out of the refrigerator.
    Post edited by Kitsune1 at 2012-12-26 18:42:54
  • tatonkatatonka
    A fox you say?
    Monkey!
  • jennajenna
    @Sarah_Jay12 - your fox story reminded me of a Shiba we brought into NYCSR a couple years back. The surrendering owners SWORE he was part COYOTE, so we were expecting a Shiba mix of some sort. Nope! He was an adorable, full-blooded, sweet and TINY Shiba boy. lol

People used to ask my daughter all the time if our red female was a fox. She (a teenager of course) would give them her best "drop dead, you idiot" look and reply "uh, yeah, sure. I'm walking a fox. On a leash. In New York City."
    jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • YPT87YPT87
    I've had Kumo for 3 weeks now, and the funniest thing is that people approach me saying.... omg, Hachi!!!!! I think is the cutest thing... I sometimes try to explain to them that he is actually not an akita but the smallest of the japanese breed but people don't really want to hear that so I have just decided to stop. I took him to Petsmart 2 days ago and the worker who did his nails asked if he could take a picture of Kumo. I think he is a mini celebrity :) super cute!
  • jennajenna
    @YPT87 if it makes you feel any better the puppy version of Hachi in the most recent movie (a few years ago) was actually played by a Shiba puppy :)
    jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • It actually makes more sense to me, in some ways, for people to say Hachi about Shibas than it does for them to say that about my American Akita--not only because of the puppies who "played" JAs on the movie, but because Shibas and JAs share a similar look. I've been surprised when people saw my grey AA and said "hachiko!" *lol*
  • Tre26Tre26
    Ya I get the fox thing and then when I am training at pet smart lots of attention. Mine is a sesame and her tail has some black tipping to it. Yesterday I saw some pictures of a coyote and the tail reminded me of her tail when she is really tired and sleeping. I am thinking about telling the next person who thinks she is a fox that she is a fox coyote mix just to see their reaction. LOL
    Tre26
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I have no shame.

I have told people that the Zoo had a litter of curly tailed foxes and sold them in the community since they didn't make good Zoo attractions, and thus how I ended up with mine. Hook, line and sinker!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Several people here in NM told me Toby looked like a coyote. This puzzles me--he looks pretty much like his father, except he's bigger, which means he looks (almost) exactly like a Shiba is supposed to look (Toby is particularly well bred). So....he's an orange curly tailed coyote? *lol*

I never thought of the fox/coyote cross thing though! Perhaps I should have been saying that all along!
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-12-29 03:55:46
  • SayaSaya
    @Gemma your shiba is so cute, but name deceives me I keep thinking as in Laika the dog breed. haha

Saya is called husky, midget husky, Alaskan klee kai, malamute puppy malamute mix, wolf dog, coydog, and coyote..

When people say she looks wolfy or foxy I take it as compliment or being cute, but when people are serious and think she is a coydog?

Coyotes don't normally come in B&T I do remember seeing black coyotes on some places and sadly some dead ones.. :( Albino coyote, one was even B&T! Reminded me of a B&T shiba my guess it had a dog in it's line sometime ago.

I gotten the kitty comment. Foxdog by a kid he insisted her mom was a fox and dad a dog. lol

Saya does have a wild look to her.. Reason I like shiba inu is for their edginess, primitiveness, and challenge.

Found this picture.. At least it's a live a lot of B&T coyotes were dead.. I'm all for coyote control if needed, but something about seeing a B&T coyote reminds me of a dead shiba.. Kinda like dead black dingo reminds me of dead B&T shiba..
    http://retrieverman.net/2011/01/21/black-and-tan-coyote/
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-29 04:44:06
  • GemmaGemma
    @saya I know, I didnt even realise that a "Laika" was a breed of dog till after we named her!

I chose to name her that because it's the name of the fist dog that went into space :P

Haha, Laika the dox ;)
  • LKJCLKJC
    I just love when people see Toro and say, "you know what??? He looks just like a fox!!!" like they are the first person to ever think of the resemblance.

Sometimes I am tempted to respond, "wow, I NEVER noticed that before!"
  • KimuraKimura
    I get the fox comment all the time (doesn't bother me) and I got coyote and mini-husky. But the funniest was today at the dog park. There was a man I had met before and he had asked what breed Kimura was, so when he saw us, he said "oh, she's that Japanese whatever". I just started laughing and said "yeah, that's about right". I thought it was hilarious he made no effort to remember the name of the breed and no effort to ask again, lol.
  • mbiblembible
    Josey gets the German Shepard and baby bear comments most. I've started introducing her as a bear cub just to be smarmy after getting over my initial annoyance.

Little boy at beach says "excuse me but I can see every detail of your dog's butthole"

Me: "why thank you, but it's actually a baby black bear"

Him- "can I walk your bear?"

Me (starting to crack up): "sorry you need a license before you can walk a bear on the beach".

Him: "MOM! Do we have a bear license !?!?"
  • HakuHaku
    funniest I got were "Is that a wolf?....Why yes I am walking a red colored baby leashed wolf in the middle of the streets in Paris*facepalm*"
    "That's Chiuauah right?"(Haku is still 3months old so they thought he was an adult chiuaua)
    "Look at that guy, son! he is carrying a fennec with him!"
  • MomooMomoo
    Woman to my husband: Is that a fox? Husband: Yes we found it in the woods and now it's our pet.
  • DebDeb
    Today, a customer in my shop looked at Ted and said,"He's got a really cute face....is his tail supposed to be like that"? "What kind is he?" Ted was presenting her with his most treasured holee roller ball and play bowing her to invite her to play. She was concerned that his butt hole is exposed! Well.........we are in New England, after all.......
  • MikoMiko
    these are funny. Last weekend I went to a shiba meetup and we were in the small dog section of the dog park so that we could be together. There was one other breed in there with the 7 shibas that showed up, the owner of that dog had a child with her and she said to her mom "there's alot of pomeranians here today" lol
  • BootzBootz
    At Fort Funston with Bootz and Jackie yesterday.

Passed by a mother and two children and overheard their conversation:
    Kid: "mom its a Shiba Inu!"
    Me: *smiles* (cause a kid knows the breed)
    Mom: "Yea, do you know where they are from"
    Kid: "No mom, where?"
    Mom: "They are from Hawaii."
    Me: *-_-" and kept walking*

Post edited by Bootz at 2013-01-28 13:38:42
  • KenzoLAKenzoLA
    Stranger: Isn't that one of those...yakisobas?
    Me: You mean shiba inu?
    Stranger: Yeah, that!
    Me: You were close though!
  • RikkaRikka
    YAKISOBA. ...mmmm, yakisoba.

No, but that's hilarious.
  • When we 1st got him, we right away started to take him to nightclubs and bar so that he could get used to loud, crowed places where people were literally taking turns holding him lol

I thought that I had heard stupid things when drunk girls would ask if he was a cat but man, most these post are funny!
  • BitiBeaBitiBea
    I had a woman ask me if Kismet was a "Corgi"

No offence to Corgi's but I was offended.

NO! I'ts a SHIBA INU!!!

I get the fox thing all the time and I don't mind that...but.....a Corgi???? O.o

Also yesterday at the dog park there was an older couple walking a 6mnth old shepherd mix. They said "wow your dog looks just like ours! What type of dog is it??"

me: -_-" *sigh*

I
    *´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` Kismet & BitiBea~*.
  • The one I really get insulted by is Chihuahua. Zim looks nothing like a Chihuahua. Not even close. And that's aside from the fact that every time he's been called a Chihuhua he's been at least 10 lbs---way too big for a Chihuahua.
  • Moshi has also been mistaken for a corgi - I was horrified, I think they are silly looking dogs! (no offence to any corgi lovers!). Living in Australia, I have been asked a few times if Moshi is a dingo or dingo cross. I've also been told he looks like a koala!
    But the one I find funniest is "long-haired basenji". People are very proud of themselves for guessing, but then very sheepish upon being told there is no such thing....
    So far only two people have guessed correctly, and one person guessed Akita which I thought was a good try.
  • knnwangknnwang
    I live in the western united states. Only 2 stranger identify Ratchet as a shiba. I get tired of trying to get strangers to pronounce the breed name so now a days when people guess wrong I tell them "no, he's your average garden variety mut." If they do identify him as a shiba I use the opportunity to vent all the funny shiba antics I have had to deal with. ;P
  • Took Hachiko to the vaccination clinic the other day and the Vet wrote Sheba Enu on her paperwork, I facepalmed...
  • Hachiko is on the skinner side for a Shiba too (built very much like a Basenji) so I hear that one ALL the time "Oh, it's one of those barkless dogs!" "oh no, believe me, she can bark... and does it often..."
  • I've seen Shiba Emu written down - like a small ostrich.
  • knnwangknnwang
    That black and tan dogs are not "cute" and are messengers of doom. On a post. :0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)