For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Crate Training in adolescence?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Just curious as to what members think in here. We have always given our animals (at this time 3 cats and Bear, our Shiba) free roam of the house (about 2,400 sq ft open layout not including the pool and atrium areas accessed via pet doors). When we purchased Bear, it was from a breeder who also didn't use crates for their animals. So before us for 5 months and now with us for 5 months he has never ever been in a crate. It hasn't yet been an issue so far. Our vet has a run area (like a small bathroom) that they used with Bear when he had to stay there for his neutering. We also found (after going to 5 or 6 places) a location we love that where if we ever daycare or overnight him he would have a small like room when not out with the other dogs. I am just wondering if people think it is a mistake that we haven't crate trained him?
  • BootzBootz
    If Bear hasnt been destructive or harming himself in any way, i dont see why you have to crate train him.

I crate train Bootz when she was younger in order to house train her. Now that im fully confident in her potty habits, i give her full roam. But its nice to know she can be crated without hassle as i tell my friends/family that babysit her to crate her if they cant watch her to avoid mass destruction.
  • Getting them used to crates can be invaluable, but it is not 100% necessary if the dog is doing fine without it. The ways it could be useful are at the vet (but seems not to be an issue with your vet, though most vets do crate the dogs) or if there is an emergency or natural disaster and you had to bring the dog in a crate somewhere.

they can learn how to go in a crate at any age, though, so it is still possible if you need/want to do it.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Just to update, we have decided to start training Bear to go in a crate and settle down. We are trying to take it slow with only short sessions right now. So far he has been okay with the concept and goes in the crate without any force, accepts waiting to have his collar taken off and the door closed. He wined a little last night during his 15 minutes in the crate, but that was because we gave him his first bully stick to chew on while in the crate and he didn't want to chew it he wanted to take it out and hide it for later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)