For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Too much exercise?
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    So Onyx, my girlfriend and my new 10 week old Shiba, made his first trip to the American Tobacco Trail today. I run it frequently and eventually would like him to be able to run the 5-10 miles with me. Well we took him out today just trying to get any exercise, and he was walking like a champ, which he has never done before in my apartment complex. For those who aren't familiar with the trail (which I suspect is everyone not from the Raleigh, NC area) it is a 15 miles dirt trail that is very popular for runners, bikers, animal walkers and people riding horses. Well Onyx LOVES and I mean LOVES bikes and cars, so when bikers pass he loves to run after them. My girlfriend and I let him as far as he would go, then let him stop and would give him some water. He passed out as soon as we got back in the car, and slept for like an hour after we got home. My question is this, I know he is too young to go for a 5-10 mile jog with me now, but how old should he be before I start taking him to workout with me. And also, we walked 2 miles today, and he walked about 1.5 miles of that and ran/chased bikes the other half mile. Did we over exercise him, or is there a such thing for a puppy. When he did wake up when made sure he ate well, and drank well, and gave him some hypoglycemia treat.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    That is a great trail. Once Keiko has all her shots (two more weeks), that's probably somewhere I should try taking her.
  • BootzBootz
    Be careful about building up his stamina for long walks. Once he gets use to it there is no turning back. You will have to tire him out with even longer walks. My friend did that with his shiba and after 5 mile walks his shiba isn't tired. EVEN with mental stimulation.
  • RikkaRikka
    I don't think it's a problem as long as you have water available at all times. I take Sagan on a mile walk every day, and probably 3-5 miles on the weekends either around parks or hikes. I ride my bicycle with him jogging next to me for about a ½ mile, and I'm slowly building up his speed and how long we can travel the older he gets.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • LosechLosech
    Conker and I easily do 15 miles in one day, but he's always needed a lot of exercise and I'm an avid hiker and we can really rack up the miles in one week so... Yeah.

If he gets tired, don't force him to keep going. That would be too much. If he decides to stop, let him stop. He is only 10 weeks old, he can't do too much yet.
    Slowly work on increasing his stamina as he gets older, but hold off on "real" runs until he's at least a year old. You can take him for shorter jogs, but I wouldn't do any long-distance runs until he's a year to avoid putting too much stress on the growing joints.
  • jelliesjellies
    I think the Japanese say that once at 6 months you can't give them too much exercise as long as they don't go from couch to 5k+ instantly.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Bootz, yep I kind of made that mistake with Tatonka. Dude can't sleep after a 3 hour walk :P
    Monkey!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I know at 10 months my Bear easily walks/jogs 4 miles with me and isn't tired when we get home. We can usually average about a 15 minute mile including the stops to sniff, pee, poo, water breaks, ect ... It is only the first 200 yards out of the house he doesn't like and after that he loves being out. I am waiting until he is older (and my triathlon season is over) before I do longer and/or faster walk/runs with him. From what I understand you really want their joints have matured before running too far/fast with any dog, I also understand that delaying neutering (if you plan to do so) will help ensure proper bone/joint formation which is important if you plan on running with Onyx. Like any good exercise program, just be sure to build slowly and watch Onyx for signs when he needs time off. I wish I lived near more "trail" like places to take Bear, for us most of our walks/jogs/run are in the neighborhood and sometimes on the golf course (if there are no golfers). Sounds like Onyx has a great start and an awesome place to enjoy some long walks/runs!
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    Unfortunately for us, his testicles didn't descend as a pup, so he has already been neutered by the time we got him. So that isn't really any option to wait for that.

But we do appreciate the advice, he definitely didn't run a ton, just some light 15 yard jogs, and then walked the rest of the two miles. We will definitely keep a heavy eye on his actions and give him plenty of miles. As far as the him being used to exercise too much, we wanted a husky because of their desire to run a ton, it is good for my girlfriend and I to need to take him out, so we can exercise ourselves. So as he gets close to a year old we will start strapping him onto our bikes and taking him for jogs.

Thanks to everyone!!
  • My pup Jax wouldnt even go 10 yards on the trail when we first took him lol. He will now go as long as we want to with him. Its definitely a stamina thing and when they are done they are done.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    I still have a ton of trouble walking him around the apartment, he will be very stubborn and just sit no matter if I call or tempt with treats or what. But after I get him about 100 yards away from home he just runs free, its the craziest thing.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @acmccart8, that is exactly what Bear does some days, the first 100-200 yards he is very stubborn and responds to nothing until he decides he is ready. Once we are past the 200 yard mark I have no more issues with him no matter if we only walk 1 mile or we walk 4. This morning I took him out and could see he was going to start a stubborn sit, so what did I do, I took off at an immediate jog for 200 yards and he couldn't resist but come.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    Thanks again everyone, I started GENTLY pulling onyx when we are starting out walk to encourage him to keep moving instead of getting stubborn and sitting, and it seems to be working wonders. He will pull against me a little bit for about 100 feet after he goes potty then after that he is pulling me (which is another issue but I know how to correct that, and is a much better issue than just sitting). Onyx also loves running already, so I run around my apartment with him and he is perfect, always right next to me, just for about 5 minutes so I don't exhaust him too much!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)