For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Collecting Items on Walks
  • BarrowBarrow
    Deshka (15 weeks old) loves walks and loves walking with items in her mouth for the entire walk (sometimes for a couple miles). During the Fall it was soda cans, bottles, feathers, etc. Now that snow is on the ground (winter has finally arrived!), she is doing a great job of finding stones (rare items on the tundra-not so rare on our local beach) and bringing them back to the house. Over time I may have a gravel pathway to my door in time for breakup!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

• kayla4554kayla4554
    Maya does the same thing, but mostly with sticks and pinecones

kayla and maya <3
  • ArcticArctic
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, she's absolutely adorable, and so is her item-carrying habit!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Aww she's making sure that she cleans up the litter on the ground, does she recycle too??? Hehe she looks so cute! Kuma picked everything on the ground when we would walk, but he has learned the drop it command and drops the items on the floor, but with the saddest look on his face when he does it :(
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Eco Shiba -- a cleaner planet for you and me. ;)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan's favorite items to pick up are leaves and pinecones. :3 I usually just stop walking and wait until he drops it to walk again.

Deshka is a beautiful name, fitting for a beautiful Sheebs.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • DebDeb
    Deshka is a beautiful little girl. Carrying stuff around on walks and bringing home the collection is an activity one of mine likes to do also. It's usually sticks and pine cones. Don't be surprised when she decides to take one of her toys from home with her on a walk.
    Post edited by Deb at 2012-10-15 11:16:35
  • Haha, Okami does this on occasion. Most of the time they were nuts from our walnut tree that she would pick up in the driveway, carry throughout our entire walk, and then drop it again when we got back to the house xD
  • My Akita used to this all the time as a young dog. he doesn't do it anymore, but it sure was cute.

Love the pics of your girl! So cute!
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Kiba picks up everything on walks. Much to my dismay, however, his new favorite is used chewing gum. :(
  • kuma loves LOVEs feathers...lol..and sometimes twigs XD
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka only picks up stuff that's proportionally too big for his mouth. He then does this dainty little trot as he tries not to drop it.
    Monkey!
  • jennjenn
    Rigby loves rocks and pinecones. He'll carry them home. He also drops them to play with them, and he'll bat them around with his paws. He'll bring them in the house and bat them around for hours if you let him... I don't though. I'm too scared he'll chew on a rock and break a tooth!
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • ArcticArctic
    Sansa had never done this before today. She spotted a tennis ball in the middle of a field and she picked it up and carried it all the way home. I let her since it's an actual toy for her and it made her happy haha. I found it to be very cute that she found it, played with it for a second, then valued it so highly that she decided to bring it home.
  • BearsDadBearsDad
    Oh yes, Bear is intrigued by everything when on walks, we generally have the same walking route so if there is anything new he automatically has to check it out, I am convinced that he has a future as a garbage man because he sure is fond of picking up others trash. :P
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake has been picking up all kinds of things on walk post-neuter but especially sticks which I don't let him keep because I'm afraid they will splinter if he chews on them. He gets upset if I try to take them away. I will tell him to drop it and offer a treat in exchange. Sometimes it works but if he really likes the stick he will ignore my commands. I tried to take the stick out of his mouth and he growled. I told him ARGH and he stopped growling. I then made us wait outside and would not let him sit down or lie down with the stick in his mouth. After a few minutes he did drop the stick and I gave him a small treat and we went inside. Any suggestions?
  • NahatalieNahatalie
    Is there a toy he could perhaps carry with him from home so he can't pick up anything else as he's already carrying something you approve of? I know that probably wouldn't work with Oki as he'd drop his toy to pick up something else lol. Worth a go maybe?

Oki's favourite thing to pick up is sticks. I let him carry them but I take it away if he starts chewing them. Unfortunately our garden has sticks all over the floor so it's hard to keep picking them up all the time. He also likes picking up shells and plastic. He never tries to chew the shells so I let im carry them as he drops them after a while. He found an old tennis ball the other day and looked so pleased with himself! He carried that for ages then dropped it on the way back at the same place he's picked it up!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Ah sticks, the natural chew toy! Kira loves carrying and chewing on sticks. She doesn't collect them during walks, however.
    We trained her very diligently on the "leave it" command. She wouldn't even pick up food if I gave her the command. Best command to train a Shiba on besides SIT would definitely be LEAVE IT in our household.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Haku is 6 months now and does the same thing! He loves sticks, coconut husk and palm tree husk. He'll walk for awhile, find a spot, and then just chew for a bit. When I don't have any time constraints, I just chill with him until he's done.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    Yuki is the pine cone king!! :) It's one of his many nicknames. He likes to stick to pine cones, sticks, dead animals (this only happened once-- very traumatizing), leaves, and once in awhile beach grass. I'm sure he'd grab onto more, but he avoids the "leave it" command now with all the trash.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)