For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dry powder stools
  • stralimstralim
    Has anyone had experience with dry powdery stools from your shiba's? I have two shiba's eating Great Life buffalo with a pump of salmon oil and spring water added. For two days they have dry hard almost powdery stools. Any ideas as to why?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Possibly not enough protein in the diet. This type of stool is usually found in raw fed dogs that get too much bone and not enough meat.

Any chance the dogs have gotten into something they should not have? If not, a trip to the vet might be in order to ensure they are absorbing nutrients properly.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • stralimstralim
    Hello Sunyata, I think your on to something. If I give a buffalo knee bone I see that type of stool. I am with them 24hrs a day so I keep an eye on them.

Do you add meat to your dogs diets?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Currently my pups are on a well balanced kibble diet. So, no, I do not need to add additional meat to their diet. They do get add ins like fruits and veggies and cheese. I am a vegetarian, so there is usually no meat hanging around for them to get tidbits unless we are visiting relatives or friends who are meat eaters.

That being said, they do get bully sticks, antlers, hooves, ribs, etc. as chews.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • SayaSaya
    Your dog is probably eating too much bone.. Raw diet I follow guideline is 10% some dogs might need a bit more bone, but 10% is guide to follow at first..

How many times does the dog get this bone?

Maybe alernate chew items give bullystick, those salmon skin bone chews, and so on..

Saya loves the salmon skin chews don't last as long as bullysticks, but she thinks their yummy.

http://snack21treats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=69

Usually a bone in meal for Saya doesn't cause dry powdery poop she usually eats lamb rib, goat bone in pieces, lamb necks, chicken bone in items, pork ribs. She usually gets a organ, boneless meat or fish to go with the bone in meal. resulting poop from those bone in meals are usually half normal and half or little bit of white on it.

After bone in meal she seems poop more once in am and the second one is little bit of poop with bone in it.

She will get white poop after having pork shoulder bone because she enjoys it a lot and usually eats more bone then usually, but it doesn't bother her since she doesn't get those type poop often.

Is the poop white too?

This is one poopy topic.. lol

Maybe days your dog gets the chew give a bit of meat with kibble or an egg? Help equal things out.

I don't give buffalo bones or beef bones often most places don't have enough meat on them to make a meal..

I do give her beef ribs which she has good time pulling the meat off once all the meat is gone she gnaws on the bone lightly and then leaves it. Some dogs chew too hard so beef ribs might not be good.. They work for Saya and they give her big workout with pulling the meat off which is good for the teeth too.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • stralimstralim
    My dogs don't get bones. The treats they get are organic buffalo tracheas or tendons, carrots, broccoli, raspberries, squash, peas, coconut milk, salmon skin when we cook salmon. I stopped the knee bones just because the stools didnt seem right.
    The food I am using is Great LIfe which is a probiotic diet.
    I am supplementing with a small bit of can food by Natural Balance or Taste of the Wild.
    It's got to be this months bag of food. I am getting a strange smell from the Great LIfe and wonder if it is rancid. It was a $64 bag and I remember checking the date and it was not out dated. I have never had this type of smell coming from the food. I will go to Whole Pet tomorrow and let them smell the food. I also emailed the makers to let them know.

• SayaSaya
    Buffalo knee bone is a bone which is why I said that..

Trachea and tendons are yummy Saya and Bella loves those.

Hope your dog doing better now.
    Photobucket
  • stralimstralim
    OK so took the bag of food back to Whole Pet and they smelled and confirmed the food was rancid and replaced with salmon which was only Great Life in stock. Now stools are back to normal and no more 5 stools a day or waking at 3am.
    Good lesson learned about rancid foods and learned more about how the rancid foods can have a damaging affects on internal organs.
  • SayaSaya
    Yuck! I never had smell rancid kibble, but good warning for people. glad things doing better.
    Photobucket
  • stralimstralim
    Yes! And Great Life offered to send me a new bag as well. Great customer service. It is a strange smell kinda like a vapor of plastic? I recently bought a bag of KIND granola and got the same smell. I called the company in New York and then sent me six new bags! Both the dog food and the granola smelled the same when rancid. It will through your head back for sure.
  • zandramezandrame
    I came across this thread from a random google search. Top hit for "dog antler dry powdery stool" :)

Kouda is currently on a limited diet for his allergies, and the only edible chew he gets are antlers. And he's been going to town on them. This morning he had a couple segments of brittle powdery poop mixed in with the normal looking kind. It was actually quite fascinating! It was really weird to see the texture throughout when I squished them... (sorry, TMI)... Immediately figured it was too much antler. But it's the only thing he's got at the moment, poor guy. But I suppose we'll have to limit his chew time, and add some extra meat to his diet.

And @Saya, your new profile pic totally threw me off! lol
  • SayaSaya
    Haha messed with it, but Gillian didn't show up too well on the avatar.Saya looks better.

On a Snatcher CD playing spree.. Love the game wish they release it on psn or even 3ds.. DS has had some cool book like adventure game.

Saya doesn't chew on antlers too much she'll every so often show interest and chew it Bella she enjoys chewing on it more so far no poop issues, but she kinda switches from antler to not chewing on it.

Yeah Saya has had powdery stool before mainly when she was new to raw and I was still adjusting to how much bone in items she needed a week.
    Photobucket
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    While this is quite an old thread, our recent "powdery stool" story fits in here perfectly. About a month ago, we started noticing that our girl (who normally had perfect poops her whole life) was passing what looked like yellowish, dry, powdery stools. The kind of thing that disintegrates as soon as you pick it up to throw it away. Other than this odd, odd pooping, she was acting as normal as can be. No change in appetite, no unusual behavioral changes, same peppiness, etc.

While we were observing what looked like little white pieces in her powdery poop, we then convinced ourselves that she in fact must have tape worms. Well, after two different negative fecals at two different vet offices, a visual of the suspect poop by a vet, various vet visits, $250.00 dollars worth of blood work, I think that we discovered the answer to our dilemma. The other day, we found our girl with her head inside a bag of ripped open bone meal for plants... Apparently, she had been snacking on this for the past month unknown to us. So, all totaled, we spent about $600 on vet visits and blood and lab work for naught.

Everything we had read about this kind of problem (powdery, dry stools) pointed to too much bone in their diet. We thought that was impossible because we feed her high quality kibble and wet food and she was almost never out of our sight. One of the vets asked if she had gotten into anything. Of course not, we said. Right. Except when she went down to the basement to snack on her bone meal!

So, lesson learned, really watch what you have around the house. These guys are sneaky and get into mischief. Hope all's well, that ends well. And that she is back to normal soon.
  • BootzBootz
    @DianaBoston

Glad you were able to find out what was wrong. Despite the large vet bill, but that’s shibas for you! Yes shibas are sneaky, I still limit the rooms Bootz can get access to while we are at work. She hasn’t gotten in trouble but I try to set her up for success with her free roam priveledge.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)