For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Lucy is lost! :(
  • sawazisawazi
    And the foster wasn't any help at all.
  • xena_inuxena_inu
    Any updates on ur lucy?
  • Aiko1Aiko1
  • jimjim
    with the technology today, why don't we all have gps locators on our Shiba collars? Is there anything like that on the market anywhere?
  • BootzBootz
  • SayaSaya
  • jimjim
    Has anyone here ever considered the hidden fence systems?
  • jimjim
    Just a thought... if someone found and "adopted" her, they will have to buy food. Maybe post pictures of her wherever they sell food in your area. I wouldn't be against slipping flyers in between bags of food at Walmart, or slipping the shelf stockers a few bucks to keep flyers near the food.
  • SayaSaya
  • jimjim
    So you have used the hidden fence? And Saya ran past the shock? I would discontinue use too, if my Niki ever did that.
  • jimjim
    @Shibamistress; If something comes into the yard, I think my Niki will be much better off running free with a collar on than chained to some cable run or post in the yard. And I doubt that many of teh people on this site spend more than a few hours a day outside protecting their dogs. With the hidden fence Niki can spend most of the day outside without constant attention. I leave the garage door open and she can come in the house whenever she wants, and back out again. When she wants me to throw her ball, she bops me in the leg with her nose, or tugs at my arm or pant leg.
    Somebody on this site said that Shibas are smart enough to understand battery life, but you are saying they are not smart enough to associate the beeps or shcok with the boundary that they they are taught.
    I talked to a lot of people who are actually using hidden fence before I decided, and they all (including me) think it's great for the dog.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • jimjim
    Whoa Lindsayt... I originally made a simple mention of a hidden fence and the criticism came to me.
    I did not criticize anyone for allowing their pet to get lost.
    I did not criticize anyone for living in an apartment or in a city instead of in the country with lots of land and places to run free.
    The general opinion of the forum????
    Tatonka is all for it? "Why not put in a solid fence"
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    Perhaps fencing should be in a different thread. Any news about Lucy?
  • InoushiInoushi
    Most electronic fences advise against the use in double coated breeds. I guess their fur gets in the way of the shock? Either way its not a good idea, if your dog gets far anough from the boundary the shock stops. If your dog gets past, why run back? Also it leaves them open to all sorts of dangers.

I don't own a yard, but when I do, im building a tall fence, with hot wire running underground. Im of the frame of mind, build like you would for exotic pets, shibas are too good at escaping.

Also don't assume we don't spend time with our dogs outside. Kenshin spends plenty of time, on a leash, running around on a federal reserve. Besides even when we visit friends, I never leave him unsupervised. Dog theft is high and my boy leaps upwards of four feet nonchantly from a sitdown.

The big question you have to ask is this. Is your dog's life worth the small potential convience, and can you live with all of the possible consequences should the fence fail one day (battery dies in collar, blackout, ect.)?
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-11-25 00:15:24
  • CaliaCalia
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Calia does anyone know if Lucy was ever found and if there is an end to that initial story?
  • CaliaCalia
  • redcattooredcattoo
    :( Sad since I know the post is old now for any hope of probably reuniting them.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    It's sad, I sure hope nothing bad happened to her.
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-11-25 11:49:08
  • tkfushtkfush
    I just saw this story on the news tonight and thought I might share just to maybe provide some hope! Any news on Lucy?

http://kdvr.com/2012/12/04/family-gets-dog-back-after-she-spent-44-days-lost-in-the-mountains/
  • xena_inuxena_inu
    =) another shiba story that has me in tears!!! WONDERFUL STORY!
  • SayaSaya
  • tkfushtkfush
    Yeah, it was a Shiba that was lost. The video shows images of how skinny the poor doggy is! But it seems to be eating now!
  • wufanwufan
    My shiba ran off just 2 days ago. My front door was blown wide open (I had no idea how that happened). I got so worried after coming back home and found he's missing. Long story short. A neighbor boy found him trying to get on a school bus (My shiba loves kids whenever he sees kids he run towards them). And he took him home. I hope OP found her shiba. Best wishes.
  • SayaSaya
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @wufan I am so glad your story has a good ending, I am sure the moment you noticed him gone until you discovered he was okay were heart dropping!

Every story of missing dogs really pulls at my heartstrings for the owners, especially when the owners appear to be good and loving owners that really care. Especially with Shiba's that independence and drive can really quickly become scary times.
  • RikkaRikka
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Rikka, I hear you on the worries. Bear has proven over and over that off leash he has no recall if he elevates to a high level play/prey drive. He has slipped his collar on a couple occasions (even the limited slip collar we use) and slipped out a door that didn't close tight while my husband took out the trash. He isn't even a door "bolter" per se, but if no one is watching and he doesn't have a leash on I could see him deciding it more fun to go run outside.

So far we have always been able to keep him in sight when he gets loose and eventually wrangle him back to safety, but heart dropping moments when it happens. If he ever slipped out when we didn't know it, I know how quickly it is possible I could be posting for help to find my Bear.
  • wufanwufan
    @Saya, Yoshi is another member I believe @wuchen17 's cute puppy. Mine's name is Wufan (Gohan in Japanese) means "lunch". If I am right, my Wufan and his Yoshi are about at the same age (one or two week age difference maybe?)

I think OP may have already moved on. I hope the lost shiba gets well and somebody rescue her at a shelter and she ends up with someone really nice.

As for me, I will microchip my Wf when he is at proper age. I can't afford losing him again (even for a few hours).
  • RikaRika
    Have you found Lucy yet? :(
  • sawazisawazi
    For anyone wondering, I never found Lucy. I finally decided to get a puppy so that we could bond better and also give him more space. I got Tsukiyo "suki" at 6 weeks old i believe; i moved back in with my mom because she had a 5 bedroom house with more people around to keep him company while i was at work. He had just made a year old this past august and was a habitual escape artist. I think he had been through 5 cages already. I figured he had some sort of separation anxiety so i got him a thunder shirt and only put him in his cage for a few hours at a time. To help out one of my family members tied the edges of the cage with a piece of ribbon. The ribbon had been on the cage a month, i never thought anything of it. This past Monday, almost exactly a year since Lucy was lost, Suki tried to escape from his cage again and got tangled in the ribbon. He strangled himself to death. i left at 9 for work, when my nephew got home at 11 he was already gone.

I feel a whole in my soul that is incomprehensible and incomparable to anything i have ever felt in my entire life. I feel like if i ever get another pet something bad will happen to them too because i either suck at life or i'm just not fit to care for an animal. But i gave suki everything i thought i could. the best food, enough toys to keep him stimulated, play time at the dog park, affection. I just didn't think twice about the damn ribbon.

Just needed to vent i guess. I know you all love your shibas like i loved mines and nobody seems to understand why i'm so devastated. I was going through a bout of depression and anxiety when i got lucy. losing her was terrible to say the least. Suki saved my life. and he died a week ago because we tied a ribbon on his cage.
  • amtiamti
    I'm so sorry... I can't imagine how hard it is to lose two of your babies... HUGS to you
  • redcattooredcattoo
    So sorry life seems to be handing you such a terrible thing, especially at about 1 year apart :( I can only imagine how many questions to life are going through your head. Even though I am not really religious, I do believe life only hands us what we can handle and that everything happens for a reason. Hopefully, you will find meaning to comfort you in both these terrible things that I would wish on no pet owner.
  • jennjenn
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
  • sawazisawazi
    thanks @jenn and @foxylover I've been beating myself up about it trying to figure out what i could have done differently and scared to even think about getting another pet. I don't want anything else but another shiba but i don;t want to replace suki either.
  • sawazisawazi
    @redcattoo i'm not religious either so i've been trying to make sense of it the best way i can. Thanks
  • ArcticArctic
    Sorry to hear about this, @sawazi :(
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)