For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Poo stuck, by hair?
  • It's happened about 4/5 times whilst I've had Brian, and it's just happened again on our walk.

The first bit of poo will come out as normal and towards the end a bit will dangle almost? And when I get it out, it seems to be caught on a piece of hair. I can't think how Brian would be eating hair though? By hair I mean, human hair, not his own fur.

He normally doesn't mind me fiddling about there when it happens but today he was crying his head off.

Anyone else had this or any tips/suggestions?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-02 12:45:44
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I know someone had asked this question a few months back, people in the forum suggested to not pull it out and to cut it.

Here's a link to a different scenario though:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/2912/eating-hair/p1
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Funny you talked about this, as I walked Kuma this morning, he apparently ate his dogs stuffing and got it stuck!
  • This has happened to Lexi a few times, thats the only time she releases the shiba scream.. lol... She poops and it hangs from the hair thats still in her butt hole. Then she starts the scream until we pull it out.. My neighbor think i abuse her.. not cool
    photo imagejpg1-3.jpg
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma was spinning and spinning and spinning until I calmed him down to grab it, unfortunately I can't cut it since he had a crap load more in his butt, it's as if he ate alllllll the toy stuffing! But after i got it out, he pooed about another pound or so hahaha.

And to make matters worse, he did his shiba scream for a minute while e was spinning. We were at the park across from my daughters school too. He caught everyone's attention! They thought I was killing him until they saw me trying to pull his tail hahaha
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-10-02 15:08:17
  • BootzBootz
    @kumaDUDE, LOL!

Lucky for me Bootz hasn't shiba scream in a while. If she has poop stuck with hair like you guys mentioned, she acutally stands still and looks at me like "mom I need help" with her ears down and everything. :)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    It wasn't funny at all! Haha Jk it was, he started spinning w his poo stuck to his butt.... I should have recorded it, but I didn't want him hitting me w the poo so I had to stop him
  • curlytailscurlytails
    This still happens periodically to Bowdu. As gross as it is, and as mortified as he is by the process, I let him take care of it himself. He also reacts violently to anyone violating his butt. Luckily, this usually happens on our off-leash dog park walks, so he'll scurry on ahead, try to take care of what he can with his own mouth, and then force the rest out in another poop. It's pretty rare that I have to intervene anymore.

That's what happens when you're a dog and explore the world with your mouth!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • i have heard elsewhere it can be dangerous to pull. Apparently can be wound up inside and cut or tear their insides.

I have done it and koj screams his head off. I don't pull anymore..I may wipe with damp cloth, but it will work itself out generally after extreme dramatics.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    What sucks is his poo was stuck stuck not coming out no matter how hard he spun
  • tatonkatatonka
    Oh man. I thought I had problems. Seriously though I hope you can figure out what's best..
    Monkey!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Seriously.. karma for my last comment. Tatonka got the dingleberry from hell during his last dog park visit and the dude got really upset.

He was shell shocked even during the car ride home.
    Monkey!
  • Ha ha @ Tatonka :)

Koji also gets completely traumatized...(He doesn't even like a normal healthy poop..he will whip his head around and look mad at his poop on the ground then run away from it..makes me laugh still)

I was walking him around Diamond Head Look out by Waikiki with all the tourists and he had a small piece stuck...I didn't see it at first and he just became paralyzed...panting, not moving for anything in the hot Hawaiian sun...we were there for probably 15 minutes..I couldn't even find a leaf.

I ended up carrying him half way home and he looked all crazed with big eyes...The little royal highness-es...
  • CinderCinder
    This thread is making me laugh hysterically!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @cinder wait until you have your moment, I'm sure everyone here has had this issue once. Unfortunately Kuma loves eating toy stuffing so it happens atleast once a month :/ dang dog
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    On a different, yet similar not, this happens to onyx when he is going, except it gets stuck on his legs because he spins around while pooping, and he just spins one of his legs into the hot mess. This gets stuck in his fur but luckily he doesn't scream about it... Yet! I know it is only a matter of time.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    This has also happened to Zach. He does the spinning thing...walks really fast a few steps then sits down. I also know that its dangerous to pull anything out of them so I let Zach take care of it himself and yes its gross. But he either bites it off or poops the rest out.
    One time he had a pretty good size poop hanging and could't get it off...I think he got scared so he ran over and sat on my foot. He got the poop off but all over my shoe! Gotta love them!
  • ArcticArctic
    Is my pup the only one who walks when she poops? She never sits still like when she pees, she shuffles along crouched over pooping. Is that weird? I find it weird.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    @arctic No, Onyx also will occasionally walk a little, but most of the time he just spins. But he is never still when he is going, it's so funny to watch!
  • zobie02zobie02
    Sorry about all the people who have to deal with this, but I have never laughed so hard while reading a 'thread'. Now that I have laughed at this, I know this will happen to my shiba eventually too.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Arctic, My Basenji does that. I think it helps her move things along, but that's a biological mechanism that only she understands. Heh. The Shiba stays still. Unless he's being chased by stuckpoop...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    This thread really gave me a good laugh picturing the Shiba drama over poo issues. I know my Bear eats toy stuffing, paper napkins, and even balls of cat hair if we can't catch him in time with these things. I am knocking on lots of wood right now though as we have yet to have this type of poo problem. All he likes to do is poo and then flick at it with both his back legs ... lucky for me he usually moves a little away before trying to flick it with both his back legs.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Most of the time Kuma poos just fine, even after eating hair and toy stuffing. But once in a while he will get the stuffing coming out wrong, so he starts freaking out.
  • Hahah it happens to my sesame too. The worst was after dark she went, i tossed it, she realized one was stuck, and I couldnt see what it was, i got a bag out of my pocket and she was shiba screaming in the middle of the parking lot sitting with her legs in a lotus pose, trying to hide it from me.

What was it? A long poop covered string! i got her to calm down and Gently pulled it out, it had a big tassle on the end. Ewwww. Thats what you het for eating my fancy throw pillow! :-O
    Shiba Inu:
    doin' their own thing since 300 BC.

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • CinderCinder
    I still can't get over the image of Koji glaring at his poop every time.. hahahah!

I never understood why mothers of human children talk about poo all the time, but if it's as amusing and multi-factorial as this thread perhaps I'm a little closer (not THAT much closer though....)
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake likes to poop on top of leaves. Once he got two leaves glued to his butt hole and some poop that was still on his butt but it wasn't stuck thank goodness. He was spinning around and Shiba screaming!!! I carry antiseptic wipes so I calmed him down and put my hand in a clean poop bag using it as a glove and used an antiseptic wipe to gently wipe the two leaves and tiny bit of poop off his butt hole. I calmed him down by telling him "Calm down and please let Mum help you" in a really calm voice. After I had removed the leaves he was so happy!!! We just resumed out walk! LOL!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake got some grass and poop in his butt again today. Actually it was a blade of grass stuck to his poop and he was whipping around like a mad man trying to get it off but he could not. He wouldn't let me near his butt at first no matter how calm I asked him to let Mum help. Finally I guess he was tired of whipping around and he let me gently wipe his butt hole and everything was fine after that.
  • LiloLilo
    Yesterday Yoshi got some poop stuck because of some grass that wouldn't come out and ran around the garden like mad for a full minute while Shiba screaming.... :S No idea what the neighbours must have thought ha ha. But thanks to reading this thread we knew to cut it off gently instead of trying to pull it out. As soon as it was loose he was fine again, but it took two of us - one holding and one removing... Fingers crossed it won't happen again!

(Edit for spelling)
    Post edited by Lilo at 2014-08-27 05:20:55
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    I think Tali got the poop literally scared out of her tonight. She had a hairy dingleberry and it seems to have really traumatized her. She bolted right back in the house with it hanging from her butt and started screaming her head off. After frantically spinning and running like crazy with me trying to help her, it finally popped off. She's since been holed up in her crate, breathing heavily, and just looks really stressed. She won't even take her favorite treats. Just tried to take her out again right before bedtime and she won't go near the door. I really fear that this might have caused her to be scared of going outside or pooping now. She's at a pretty sensitive fear stage as of late and has been pretty jumpy with everything too.
  • enzo_inuenzo_inu
    @nikkitine, My pup will run around in circles and then just plop on the ground and sit... then the cycle starts until I chase him down to remove the poop. He seems to freak out for a bit but then calms himself down and he is okay.

how is she acting now that some time has passed? still acting the same?
    Post edited by enzo_inu at 2015-04-03 14:49:46
  • Kiba did this a month or so ago. It happened on the morning walk before I headed off to work at 7am...i thought he was going to wake the neighbors up with his screaming. The first time it was just stuck...but then a second time i noticed it actually came out with some carpet fibers/hair Q_Q....
  • I've had this happen too. I still don't know exactly what he ate cause it was a string of some sort... But I had also heard that you shouldn't pull it so we cut it as close as possible and be passed the rest later.
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @enzo_inu She continues to be afraid of going outside and has even held it for 14 hours before we went to the dog park and she finally went poo/pee. She is doing a little better now with some coaxing but now she'll bolt super fast the opposite direction after relieving herself like it's going to chase her.
  • NatsuNatsu
    This thread is hilarious!!!

Natsu is another little poo-hater, he will do a little hop and skip to get away from it, then turn and give a cautious sniff before snorting disgustedly and glaring at it. Then he will give me the "Shiba slave, clean that up now so I don't have to walk by it on the way back" face.

Unfortunately he also thinks that stuffing (dismembered several squeaky squirrels, ate a throw pillow) and human hair (literally attempts to eat mine off my head if he catches me lying down) are delish so dingleberries are a tad more common than we would like.

^^ caught me taking a nap on the couch... Look how happy it made him ugh

He makes a giant fuss and spins madly and doesn't come out of crazydog mode till its gone. Thankfully we like to do family walks and so between the two of us, one can try and hold him still(ish) while the other goes in for the kill. For some reason the particularly gross ones are always the ones he manages to smack us with.....

I love that he's such a clean freak though - he basically potty trained himself in 2 days.. Fair tradeoff imo

Post edited by Natsu at 2015-06-05 00:30:04
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    she'll bolt super fast the opposite direction after relieving herself like it's going to chase her.
    My Quakey does the same thing. He acts like the poop is going to chase him!! One day one of his treasures landed on my foot!
  • NatsuNatsu
    So karma struck (for me laughing at this thread, no doubt) and yday we had the dingleberry of his worst nightmare.

He was pooping a bit of stuffing from one of his toys and it got stuck, obviously - so cue spinning, terrified puppy, poop flying, etc. Eventually he settled down so we investigated and found a string of stuffing coming out his butt... It wasn't long so we decided to leave it instead of cutting it off, but same thing happened next poop (i.e. it wasn't going to come out on its own).

I decided to attempt a gentle pull and et voila long section of poop-covered stuffing, smelly as heck! Puppy was horrified as always (he hates having his butt touched) but PROBLEM SOLVED!! I have pics but will not post for obvious reasons. It looks like something out of the show River Monsters...
    Post edited by Natsu at 2015-06-07 09:29:13
  • ObizaObiza
    Knowing this is more common is such a relief... Rusty has never screamed until today when a turd got stuck hanging off a long hair still inside and he freaked out spinning and screaming until it fell off. He then proceeded to have a really soft follow up stool. His butthole seems like it has a milky discharge so I'm wondering if maybe he's having some issues expressing his anal glands. I feel like my friends without dogs think I have a problem because I'm also watching and checking my dogs poop! What a gross hobby haha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)