For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Suki's allergy journey
  • RyanRyan
    G'day,
    We took delivery of our adoptive Shiba on Monday, and it appears he has allergies. Took him to the vet last night who told us it wasn't food and is likely to be pollen.
    Symptoms:
    -Blocked tear duct
    -Weeping eye
    -Waxy ear build up
    -Red rear left paw(inflamed but not raw)
    -Yellow soft stools
    -Death farts

As of yesterday we have removed all grains, dairy, corn and soy products form his diet. Currently feeding TOTW Salmon(purchased before I found out about the china thing).
    His stools have now turned darker and started to firm. Farts still present. Eye looks improved- this could be the ear drops. Less sneezing and shaking of the head. We are still walking the same circuit full of flowers in bloom.

We will monitor and I will update throughout so that those also in this situation will hopefully have a story of hope :P

Note: I am gluten and dairy intolerant and get all of the above symptoms when I ingest either, so I may not be impartial, but believe it is a good path to follow up.

Next Steps: If TOTW salmon doesn't clear him up, going to a raw diet.

Regards,

Ryan
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • RyanRyan
    Neglected to mention, we also gave a parasite treatment on tuesday which may or may not have helped.

Stools and general appearance have further improved. Can't judge ears whilst he is on the drops. Rough skin on his head has continued to improve- food rash or flea derm?

He is still licking his paw although I can't see a rash.

We use all natural cleaning products in the house, but going to go over the floors and all surfaces with a vinegar solution to try and remove any further potential allergens.
  • SayaSaya
    Dad made a tone of gumbo for a fundraiser at work brings rest home which me and mom ate now had full so we're not eating it. He made tons of rice so it wasn't getting eaten..

He's been giving Bella some rice with her kibble which makes me mad! >.<<br />
    Maybe that's why Bella is more itchy recently..

That's why we have a compost! I told him not to give her anymore and tossed the two containers of rice in the compost.

I know Bella is a garbage disposal loves food, but I rather her have a cooked or raw egg then be given just plain rice.. It's minute rice too.

If farts are continuing maybe try giving a probiotic? Ark naturals gentle digest is one that someone used and I found it at a health food store..

I never had much poop issue, but the probiotics might help with the farts and get the gut in working order.

Yogurt doesn't have enough to help plus some dogs might have issue with it so probably be best to get the kind for dogs.

Glad poop is doing better.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • RyanRyan
    Thanks Nicole,
    I haven't copped a death fart all day, so I think it has stabilized on its own. Might investigate how much value probiotics have for dogs, most of them aren't refrigerated(aka not live), and a dogs digestive system is significantly shortly than ours, hence bacteria that would make us sick goes straight through them.

He has gotten so much better in 48hrs, just need to watch his paw...
  • RyanRyan
    Reintroduced beef and dairy. Staying grain free. Some improvement.

Moving to raw. One week course of cortisone to help kick the remaining rash.
  • I know what you're going through! It was a long long long process to get Marou itchy free! He has a yeast allergy, plus seasonal allergies.

It took months, several different bags of food, and different cleaning processes. It's pretty much a trail and error situation...

I now feed Marou California Natural Kangaroo & Lentils. If you could get ahold of this food, I highly recommend it! California Natural has low ingredients & low protein (Marou also has a protein allergy) so, it helped cut down on figuring out what exactly he was sensative too. Plus, he lovesssss it! I'm going on my third 15lb bag of this food, and he's still eating it like its the best meal he's ever eaten! I do mix in a powder probiotic and enzyme (NaturVet) at breakfast time, because he gets really hard stools.

As far as treats, I just make my own... Its cheaper and I can freeze them and they last ten times longer.

For itchy feet, I found a remedy that has worked wonders (even for other members shiba's with itchy toes). I'll mix 1 cup of vinegar (distilled) with 3 drops of pure 100% peppermint oil in a tub of water (little higher than ankle deep), and I'll let Marou stand in it for a good 15 minutes. Take treats with you to keep them occupied! Dry the feet off really well. This should give some itchy relief for a least a couple of days. You can also bathe them in the same solution for itchy skin. Also for itchy skin you can give a fish oil supplement or coconut oil.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    The tough thing about allergies is that symptoms are quick to crop up and can take weeks to clear.

I'm glad you are taking a stepped approach at it all and were able to improve the life of your Shiba!

Jesse
  • RyanRyan
    @Crimson02 Thank you :)
    the approach is logical for me (having allergies myself), but I haven't seen a "journal" on this topic, so thought it could help others in future.

@JosieAndMarou Thanks for the tip- I have found raw to work well for both of them, there are some natural supplements I have used before, that I will reintroduce later once he is settled. The foot remedy is a great idea. The vet checked out his feet and the only concern with them since the diet changes is that he still licks them out of habit, we have a bittering agent to put on them until he breaks the habit now.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Ryan, I basically started my blog to keep track of Bowdu's allergies and health problems (he was eventually diagnosed as hypothyroid, which accounted for a lot of his skin issues). I drew my inspiration from other Shiba bloggers, specifically this awesome lady who was blogging improvements in her very allergic foster Shiba. Journaling individual progress and changes, especially for something that can be as complex as allergies, is a great idea!

I think this is a good thread because of the level of detail you are putting into it, and you're tracking very precise changes with Suki. Even if your specific methods don't work for others, it's a good demonstration of how one can go about figuring out what's triggering allergies for their dog.

Are you sticking to a single raw protein for Suki while you're figuring out what's causing the itchies?
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-07 14:46:54
  • RyanRyan
    I tried protein elimination, nothing noticeable. Should post my spreadsheet!

Once things settle I'll reintroduce a few more and report back.
  • This is a really useful thread for others to see...and my sympathies, because I've been through this too, and it is tough.

In fact, I'm trying to figure out what to do for one really itchy little Kai Ken. He eats raw, but of course....he could have an allergy to poultry. I'm hoping for just adolescent Kai Ken itchiness, rather than anything else.

Anyway, good luck with this! I'll be checking in to see how you're doing!
  • RyanRyan
    Try beef? My butcher sells minced ox cheek, $AUD4 per kg, frozen.

It looks like the main allergen he has issues with is gluten, fed a food containing barley and confirmed this. Paws flared up, eye got gunky etc.

There may be other lesser allergens, but it looks like raw, or grain free will keep this trooper happy!
  • RyanRyan
    To clarify, it would seem it was pearled barley setting him off, hopefully barley grass extract is okay, has debatable gluten content.

We try to feed kibble in the mornings, raw at night due to work schedules and I like to supervise bone consumption.

Testing him on Artemis Maximal.
  • RyanRyan
    He has flared up after one feed of Maximal. This is a chicken protein based food.
    Might just stick to raw ox cheek with a natural supplement, cheaper, and better for him.

It's not fair for me to keep testing foods on him. Shame I bought the 15lbs bag as they were out of smaller ones, good thing Bella will eat it.
  • tatonkatatonka
    You guys are amazing.. to be able to figure out allergies based on a few symptoms. I don't know if I would catch them like that..

The only time Tatonka sneezes is in the morning right after he wakes up. He sniffles and then walks around sneezing. I'm taking him to the vet to figure it out..
    Monkey!
  • RyanRyan
    Well, I may have spoke to soon, referred my list and chicken, and chicken based foods are meant to be okay. When around the yard and peeped over some fences and some new flowers are in bloom.

Theory is now pollen + gluten.

I'll clean up my list and host it somewhere and share it here so that others can use it as a workbook.

@Tatonka what does he eat?
  • RyanRyan
    Suki got worse, as he was blowing his winter coat, his skin was red and he lost too much hair, he also hadn't regrown the hair after his spey.

Trip to the vet, full blood panel came back clear, did the precautionary antifungal/antibacterial bath, and have put him on science diet sensitive skin- vet wants him on this food for 6-8 weeks, then will resume testing of foods.

Hair is growing back, skin looks to have settled.
  • RyanRyan
    An update- he's doing pretty well!
    Through elimination I've validated that Lamb is the only "safe" animal protein for him. Also have to be careful with grains.

He was on pred and Phenergan daily for a while, then switched to Apoquel with Phenergen, now we've settled on Apoquel ($$$!) and Telfast.
    Nothing beats pred, but Apoquel has less side effects and allows for a daily NSAID for his arthritis.

Diet is dry Ziwipeak Lamb and/or lamb mince fried up with rice. Snacks are vege/vegan based chews etc.

I use Aesop Animal shampoo and keep the garden under control.

Happy Suki!
    Post edited by Ryan at 2017-01-25 11:49:14
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Ryan-Thanks for the update. I am so glad that your furry little one is doing better!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)