For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
NorCal / Bay Area meet up
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    So my family will be coming up from San Diego to the bay area on September 22 - September 30 or longer.

Was looking to see who wanted to do a forum meet up. Kuma is currently 6mo old, and my baby will be almost 2mo by then. I would love to have a play date with some members.

Best time: for us would be saturday the 22nd or Sunday the 30th for us. We are flexible though.

Location: doesn't matter as long as we can all have a good time.

Food: optional if any?

Side note, I don't know if you NorCal folks know of this pet food place, but buy 3 get 4th free raw food, kibbles, toys, etc.

http://www.petfoodexpress.com/products/buy-3-get-the-4th-free/

Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-10 19:07:23
  • I wouldn't be able to do the 30th, but don't let that hold you back if that date works for everyone else.

Fort Funston, as mentioned before, would be a good, but very LARGE place. Not a whole lot of shade there, but it's fairly cool along the beach. Weekends in particular are busy times at all Bay Area dog parks, so I find that the BIGGER the area, the better for crowd dynamics. If the park's too small, dogs start misbehaving if they feel claustrophobic. Or maybe just mine. *nervous chuckle*

The drawback is that your Shiba will have to be used to off-leash exploration, or they'll need to remain on leash.

Is baby going to be in a sling?

I would absolutely insist on no human food at the event.
    No treats either, unless discreetly given to your own dog.

However, if a lunchtime or snacktime meeting is preferred for others, just let me know when you are done so I can meet up with you all later.

I am not absolutely certain that I can join up -- as much as I'd love to! So please feel free to continue making plans without me.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I can go any time after 6pm Monday-Friday, just figured weekends are the best time for everyone else. And considering most dog friendly places in the bay are closed once the sun sets hahaha.

Re. No human food or treats, I keep thinking I'm setting up a play date in San Diego beach area hahaha. Yes completely understand the no treat or food deal :)

Baby will be in a sling if we will be going to the beach. If dog park he will be in a stroller.

Edit: anyone ever been to Douglas dog park? Looks huge
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-10 19:58:36
  • tatonkatatonka
    I can come. I just need to make sure Tatonka can take the time off work..
    Monkey!
  • MayamaMayama
    We should be able to join as well if we're going to the beach. Might have to skip if it's a regular dog park, as Maya has been having bad allergies after going to grassy areas.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Maybe you can join the Peninsula Shiba Meetup group and suggest a meet? Just a thought...

We buy all our treats, and most other supplies, at Pet Food Express; of course always 4 at a time! ;)
    Post edited by AWE46M3 at 2012-09-11 03:23:16
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @AWE46M3 I already am a member... Just lazy lol :/

@Mayama I think I like the fort funston to be our meet up as well, just 75/25 on Kumas recall haha. And I would love to meet your long haired shiba!!! Hehe she looks so cute!

Edit: need to set up a Time and particular location to meet before going down? Or you guys can look for the guy with the baby in a sling hahaha
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-11 11:46:00
  • BootzBootz
    Unfortunately I missed the Fort Funston Peninsula Shiba Meetup since I was out of town...I think Mayama was there so she can give us an insight. But from the pictures i saw...a lot of Shibas were on leash x_x. I can suggest a meet up if you guys want....just need to finalize the date and time.

22/23rd weekend works best for me...29/39th weekend is 50/50.

***I went to FF this past weekend....I actually saw two other shibas there off leash. I have to say the number of shibas have greatly increased x_x its crazy.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-09-11 13:59:03
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Agreed, I'm debating on having Kuma on or off leash
  • BootzBootz
    @kumaDUDE, whens the last time you had Kuma offleash?
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    At enclosed dog parks, and at my wife's aunts neighborhood park. He's just so darn easily distracted.
    Oh and he was off leash at the San Diego meet up, which was at coronado beach I believe. But not as much distraction there since only dogs, sand, and dolphins.

Ok I just talked myself into leaving him on a leash lol. Too many things the dang pup will chase after.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-11 14:43:41
  • MayamaMayama
    If we're going to Fort Funston, we can meet at the entrance of the observing deck (the west end of the parking lot).
  • BootzBootz
    @kumaDUDE, omg T_T dolphins? *LOVES DOLPHINS*

Fort Funston doesn't have many distractions either as long as we stay away from beach area....beach area = sea gulls = prey instinct for some. You have couple weeks to practice Kuma's recall! Your voice doesn't override the distractions? x_x

@Mayama, that sounds great.

Now we just need to agree on a date + time, and also if you want to make this a Peninsula meet up.

Post edited by Bootz at 2012-09-11 15:13:33
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    My voice does, if he isn't super distracted or excited haha so no, unfortunately not. Umm also I'd feel more comfortable to have him on leash first. Also can't practice except for next week, work schedule is kind of weird :(

Hardest part is finding a hotel that is decently priced for the week for the 4 of us
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-11 16:29:18
  • BootzBootz
    I though you worked in SJ? Might as well commute from SJ --> SF rather than finding a hotel o_o
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I work in Oakland and live in San Diego, I stay at my parents house the two weeks That I do work.

I can't stay at their house cus they have a golden retriever, German shepherd mix that isn't the nicest towards dogs. So when the family comes, I'm going to have to find a hotel for the week. I'm not sure if there's a niners game that week that is making hotel prices sky rocket!

Either way, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
  • BootzBootz
    @kumaDUDE,

The niners game is this weekend. 9/16. There will be no home games for the rest of September.

If my place wasn't already packed XD I would offer you guys a place to stay!
  • Whatever time you guys decide, I'll meet you guys later at the Buddhog on the beach:

Desecration IIYeah, I could outrun those guys any day.

I think the greyhounds on the side have either been replaced or joined by a mural of Dobermans... anyway, there's a sculptured area in the middle of the beach. I'll wander there about 30 mins to an hour after your scheduled meetup time.

Hope that's not too confusing. =) The reason is that I try not to introduce Bowdu to meetup crowds "cold," which just means I want to walk him a stretch before joining up with the group.

Man, I make it sound like Bowdu has all these problems/issues, but honestly, we've gone to a bunch of meetups and he's done just fine... As long as I follow all these personal rules (e.g. walk him for a stretch beforehand, open areas, avoid crowded areas, no food, etc.)!!

@kumaDUDE, would it be worth picking up some baby gates and figuring out a plan to keep the dogs separated instead? Or is that too much stress, especially with the whole family in tow? Anyway, good luck with that...
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @curlytails Kuma will be fine on leash, I'm not stressing out (he always follows other shibas around when they are called by their owners when he's off leash), but I'll work on his recall next week.
    I'm unsure what you meant by the gates, do you mean a small penned area for the dogs to play? If so, I don't think it would be fair for the other dogs to be confined. We will see, of kumas recall improves then I will be more than happy to let him play off leash.

Thank you for the offer @bootz, but we were trying to stay away from friends and relatives homes due to the baby constantly crying hehe. But I truly do appreciate it.

That spot looks like a great meet up point :)
  • @kumaDUDE, Oh I meant baby gates to help manage interactions between Kuma and your parents' Golden-Shepherd in their home, so that your family could stay there instead of at a hotel. But it sounds like you have a plan...
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Lol yeah, we got it covered :) thanks!
  • BootzBootz
    @Curlytails....i've been to Fort Funston so many times....but never went along the beach to see that area. I guess I need to do some exploring! I try to be stationary in the sand since its so hard to walk in with shoes on...and most of the time its too cold to take my shoes off!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Oh that was my question! How is it typically weather wise at FF? I need to have baby boy dressed accordingly!

Reason why baby gates won't work for my parents dog btw, he jumps right over it... Plus I don't want to risk baby boy annoying their dog w his crying lol
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-11 21:10:33
  • @Bootz Hehe, it's a neat picture spot, and if nothing else, it's neat to see how it changes! =) Hmm, I'll try to find a map that shows where that landmark is. I'm pretty sure Mayama knows where it is, so if you're meeting up at the observing deck area first, someone should know the way.

And yeah, that's a good meetup reminder/tip! I always take off my shoes along the beach, so I should bring footwear that makes it easy to go barefoot.

Whenever I have gone, it's always been breezy enough that I want a long-sleeve jacket. Nevertheless, the sand in the sunshine can get really hot, while the wet sand is super cool.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-11 21:12:40
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ok so we got things straight here...

Forum meet up!

Make peninsula meet up: undecided

Time: 10am? Meet at observation area

Off-leash

No food/treats (Bring water :p )

am I missing anything?
  • BootzBootz
    A towel! Since we're planning on going to the beach area its good to wipe yourself or your Shiba dry....or to wipe your feet before you put your shoes back on :)

Treats are fine if it helps your Shiba with recall....unfortunately mine don't like food at the park x_x

• kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Well then, I'll make sure I have kumas treats then
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-11 22:50:17
  • I agree, feel free to bring treats for your own dog. =) I'll have some on me as well, I would just encourage you to discreetly dispense them to your own dog so as not to draw crowds of dogs competing for treats, as I've seen things turn nasty VERY quickly when handouts are offered amongst groups of unfamiliar dogs.

As for whether or not this becomes a Peninsula meetup, I honestly don't mind either way.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Someone want to set it up? See if anyone wants to join us?
  • BootzBootz
    I guess I can suggest it on Peninsula shiba group....so we're set on 22nd then? Since that seems like the best day for everyone. 10 am sounds kind of early since a majority of the people are from san jose area.....11:30 am sound ok?

We'll hang out with the group for like 30 mins ~ hr and then meet curlytails at the beach.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-09-12 12:54:07
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    1130 sounds great, sounds like a good plan @bootz

So 9/22/12 @ 1130 fort funston :)
    Can't wait to meet you folks!
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-09-12 13:08:58
  • BootzBootz
    ok i posted it on meetup...I need 2 to confirm for it to be announced to the group....

http://www.meetup.com/PeninsulaShiba/events/82072702/
    Post edited by Bootz at 2012-09-12 13:32:41
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Done :)
  • MayamaMayama
    Done!

@kumaDUDE: it's often really windy at Fort Funston, even when it's sunny and hot in the southern part of the peninsula. Make sure to bring a jacket, especially for the baby.
  • BootzBootz
    Yay! Round two of Jackie vs Maya. ;)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @mayama thank you, I jus bought some long sleeves and nice socks for the baby boy.
  • tatonkatatonka
    So we're on for 9/22, yes? *bump*

Skeletor (ahem, Tatonka) and I will be there.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-14 20:39:00
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yes
  • I'm in. Always a chance with me that something will come up at the last minute, but I'll update here if so.
    Looks like other folks RSVP'ed on the meetup site, too!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I'm not sure if I still want Kuma to come along...
    He was tested positive for Giardiasis today, we have him on the medication given by the vet. He said it should clear after a week of being on this medication, but I dont know if I should take the chance of getting anyone else's dog sick.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka's not a poop burglar. I don't have a problem with you bringing him..
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-15 16:41:07
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I didn't think Kuma was either, but I guess he must have at some point.... It may be he drank from a small puddle outside the apt complex even.
  • BootzBootz
    ahhh sorry to hear :(

You can only catch it from drinking infected water or poop eating right?

Just bring a separate water bowl for Kuma? XD

Post edited by Bootz at 2012-09-15 18:18:32
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I always bring seperate bowl for him, that's why I was wondering how he could possibly get it :( and I've never seen him eat poo, since we always walk him. I have however seen him lick his paws after a walk... Maybe he stepped on some and licked it... Who knows!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    One things for sure, I will wipe his feet and bum with disinfectant wipes
  • tatonkatatonka
    bump!
    Monkey!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Lol tatonka... I don't think anyone will forget about Saturday :p
  • BootzBootz
    28 people are attending according to meetup x_x

• kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yeah, not 28 owners, I think 16 owners 12 guests
  • BootzBootz
    @kumaDUDE omg T_T Kuma gave Bootz and Jackie Giardiasis.
  • @Bootz I know you're kidding, but whuhhh??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)