For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Why Raw Food is AWESOME (before and after diet pics)
  • Jackson last August, before we started feeding him Primal Lamb Formula:
    Photobucket

Jackson today:
    Photobucket

Granted I probably shouldn't have been letting him stick his head in the peanut butter jar lol but it's crazy what a little change in diet can do to a dog's coat! Before his fur was wiry and thin, today his coat is ridiculously soft and super thick! I can only imagine how glorious his coat would be if I fed him the true raw diet rather than frozen patties *_*

In the before photo Jackson was on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon kibble. Today he gets Natural Choice Lamb & Rice kibble in the AM and Primal Lamb Formula frozen patties at night.
  • SayaSaya
    Love the before and after pictures! :)

Saya's coat is always thick and nice looking. except when she is done blowing her coat then she looks a bit thin for a bit till she grows her summer or winter coat in. hehe

I never did before and after though she was 8months when she was fully on raw. I don't remember much difference as her coat is always nice, but I do think she is more muscle.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Lol at the pb picture!

How old was he in these?
  • @hellocaro He was a little over 8 months old in the peanut butter picture and will be 2 in mid-December this year :) We originally thought his fur loss was an unfortunate combination of losing his puppy fur and blowing his adult coat at the same time but when his ugly duckling phase dragged on for nine months into November/December of last year we decided that probably wasn't the case. So happy we switched. It's a little more money and time invested (remembering to set the food out to defrost in the morning) but totally worth it!
    Post edited by vaness0rz at 2012-09-09 12:44:47
  • RikkaRikka
    I love, love, love Nature's Variety. Awesome for Jackson!
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Haha "ugly duckling phase", I've never heard of anyone putting it that way, but it's so true! Charlie is 6 months old and we've been feeding him TOTW in the morning, and Nature's Variety raw medallions in the evening, but he still seems to be going through the "ugly duckling phase." Hopefully his coat gets to be as beautiful as Jackson's in a few more months!
  • EthosEthos
    Can u please post a link of the Primal Lamb Formula frozen patties u bought for ur puppy?
  • tatonkatatonka
    Also can you tell us how you store the patties and how you defrost them?

Thx.
    Monkey!
  • RikkaRikka
    I use Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Lamb, and I just put the package in the freezer. I take out a couple of patties every night and put them in a glass container in the fridge. It's easy. :)
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-09-09 14:29:55
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I do the same thing as @Rikka, except I alternate the flavors, one week lamb, next week venison, the next week chicken. I also feed Natures Variety Instinct Raw, I don't feel I'm ready to go and feed Kuma complete homemade raw, but he does get turkey necks, chicken drumsticks, and mackerel here and there.
    Only reason I switch/alternate flavors is because I think he grows tired of the same flavors.
  • Don't forget guys, we also have another discussion thread on before/after raw here.
    If you use the advance search function, you should be able to find lots of very thorough discussions on raw, and Primal Raw as a specific brand.

Since this one appears to be about showcasing pictures, I guess it's not exactly a duplicate... And it IS cool to see how you document the before and after pictures. I would encourage anyone who is switching up their dog's diet to document the before/after like this.

Bowdu's case was pretty dramatic, too.

Before (August 2010, he's five years old here and suffering from allergies and underlying thyroid condition):
    IMG_7835

After (November 2010, been on raw food for about 3 months and thyroid medication for about 2):
    The view from here

A full year later (August 2011, also doing the half kibble/half raw thing):
    Fluffy and fit
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-09 15:19:09
  • @curlytails he looks so good! I love the before and after pictures too.

@tatonka @ethos I do the same thing as @kumaDUDE and @Rikka, just set out the number of patties you need a few hours before feeding time to defrost then serve. Since I feed kibble in the AM and patties at night, I just half the recommended serving suggestion for both. I take the # of patties I need for the day out of the freezer and leave them to defrost in the fridge before I leave for work in the AM since like our own meat you are not supposed to serve it if it gets warm defrosting (bacteria). The patties are pretty small but I still mush mine up before serving because Jackson likes to see how fast he can eat and sometime forgets to chew.

I was originally using Nature's Variety Instinct Raw like KumaDude and Rikka but the last time I went to buy pet food the store owner convinced me to try Primal instead because he didn't stock Nature's Variety. His reasoning was that Primal is completely organic and has no powdered ingredients unlike NV. I didn't really feel like driving anywhere else that day and he gave me a deal so I decided to try it lol. It's a little bit more expensive and I've only been using it for about a week so it's hard to say which is better. Primal definitely has a different texture than NV, looks more like frozen puke than frozen patties lol but Jackson seems to like it. Here's a link to Primal's site: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/detail/c/7/id/4

What I did notice too was that NV's formula you can feed both cats and dogs where as Primal you have to buy separate formulas for canines and felines. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything but I thought it was interesting!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Looks interesting, I will try primal soon. Umm yeah, I normally being out the pattie into the fridge the night before same w his drum stick and fishes.
  • SayaSaya
    There isn't much change in appearances Saya doesn't have allergies and her coat has been good as a pup even on kibble, but on raw it's better.

Here's young Saya
    Photobucket
    Saya's first winter
    Photobucket

Saya a year old
    Photobucket
    Saya third snow.
    Photobucket
    Saya does have more muscle and good shape on raw..
    Photobucket

Major change for her on raw is she is much more strength then when on kibble.
    Look at her jump over her flirt toy! :D

On kibble she couldn't or didn't have confidence to jump on my bed which isn't too high on raw she still couldn't, but once I introduced chicken feet to her diet.

After a week she was a lot more confident jumping and she would jump up with no need of me to pick her up.

Before she would whine slight scream or bark when I told her to come up now she jumps up no issue.
    Photobucket

She also seems to have more endurance and can go go go when it comes to wandering outside she runs all over the place.

Here's a picture of Saya after a coat blow last year in summer time her tail so thin during that time.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-09-09 20:21:41
  • BootzBootz
    I'm loving the before and after pictures...but I got to say it also applies to switching from a bad brand of kibble to a good brand of kibble!

I think this thread might help me convince my bf to let me feed Bootz Raw ;)
  • SayaSaya
    True Dink used to be on beneful kibble and once switched to wellness core ocean the difference was amazing she had more energy and looked bit better.

Photobucket
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Hey Guys! I see that a lot of ya'll are using the Primal. Do you get the bags of frozen formula?
    http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/list/c/7
  • RyanRyan
    @Bootz Agreed. I went from raw(weighed portions of meat/organ/bone plus a supplement) to the best kibbles I can find, and Bella has far more energy and a nicer coat.

We have started our adopted Shiba on a similar diet, so will see if it makes any difference, but he is in good shape anyway!
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @Ryan so good kibbles worked out better for you huh? I haven't noticed much difference on Kuma other than more active on NV than on go fit pro kibbles.
  • Raw is definitely the way to go! We feed saki wellness core in the morning and wellness w primal mixed at night. Her coat has always been very soft and full of color
    Post edited by Yinger at 2012-09-11 02:31:59
  • tatonkatatonka
    Ah this is gonna get expensive. Oh well. I didn't need to eat anyway :)
    Monkey!
  • @tantonka LOL it's so funny how we feed our animals better than we feed ourselves. Taco Bell and canned tuna sandwiches for me while Jackson eats like a king haha
  • LOL totally!...Riley gets his good-for-him food, fish oil, vitamins and digestive supplements..I'm lucky if I remember to take my own vitamins at least twice a week.
    Maybe I should put them next to his food :-D
  • BootzBootz
    This thread finally convince my bf to give raw a try. We're going to do the premade first and then see from there if we want to transition to full raw.

After doing the calculations....i spend about 57 cents a day on TOTW kibble to feed both Bootz and Jackie. The pre-made raw will cost $2.20 a day.

I've decided to do kibble morning and pre-made raw at night since I don't have enough time in the morning to watch them eat their meals.

Hopefully with a 3 month trial we will see improvements in Bootz' coat and also less stinky poo poo!
  • Hmm...I dunno if there is much difference you can tell just by looking at pics of Okami, but here goes! It's rather difficult for me to tell any changes considering I'm around her all the time, lol

Before raw:
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And after raw:
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sorry for the major pic spam, lol
    Post edited by OkamiAmaterasu at 2012-09-12 23:25:24
  • jherb415jherb415
    Hey quick question @okami - where did you get your shiba? Just curious looks like my boy shibas sister from a littler July 2011 - is okami a female?
    Shiba Mom of Two (Xavier 1 1/2 red male) & Argo ( 6 month red male)
  • SayaSaya
    Okami is female.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)