For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
HELP plz.. my shiba poops inside.. I can't figure out why!
  • He got potty trained as a pup, obviously. But for some reason, even at almost 3 years of age, he won't tell me when he has to poop and will sometimes just go find a spot in the house to go (usually not the norm by choice, but lately it has been too much). It has happened more frequently as of late, maybe because we moved just over a month ago. I walk him 3 times a day to get him to poop, and often he won't. But if he gets 5 minutes alone in the house - especially in this new place, he'll go to a certain spot in the house and poop. I just don't get it. He does have allergies, but otherwise should be fairly healthy. Can anyone help read into this issue - with experience, or a psychic eye?

He eats mainly all protein. We limit grains. I used to think he had a yeast problem.. he does tend to stink sometimes, but would that really cause this kind of behavior? He clearly waits for a few minutes alone to go do his business. Yet he won't always go outside while we're walking the yard (5 acres). Makes no sense to me.. very frustrating for me and my room-mate (home-owner)!

Please tell me what you think. Shiba's are so unique that it is hard to use normal ruling-out with figuring out the answer!
    Thank you!
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-09 14:44:43
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Shibas are a dog like any other. I challenge your statement that he is fully house trained. It sounds like he needs a refresher. Treat him like a puppy, especially with a new house. Start confining him when you can't watch him, take him out ever hour until he goes outside. If he doesn't go it's back in a crate. It may take a few days before he "agrees" to poop outside. But firstly, I would completely limit his access to the house except in a room you are in, with him leashed to you, or in a crate.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Ugh.. him in a crate.. I can hear the screaming now. I'm not working at the moment, so I can be with him all day long. But, I'll be back to work anytime now, and I can't imagine him being stuck in a crate all day long after having slept all night. Breaks my heart.. but I hear ya! I will start taking his poops outside to a delegated spot, and start keeping a closer eye on him (doing really good already but it only seems to take 5 minutes). I never did crate him much at all as a pup.. only when he was 7 weeks up until a few months at most, and only when I left the house. I did use pee-pads with him as a young pup, but he was never consistent about going to it.. I instead tried to take him outside every hour. He is otherwise such a fantastic dog! I wish I knew what he was thinking or trying to say!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    You wrote you just moved. Is he pooping in the same spots (both inside and outside)? Did the previous residents have a dog or cat? Is he usually bashful while doing #2?
    犬竜
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Than use an expen, or baby gates, just don't let him wander around when you aren't right there. He may regress further once you are gone for 8+ hours at a time, but confining is just a temporary measure until you get the management part down and he gets the idea. Potty pads are not the best for this reason.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • There is a tiny "purse" dog here, and a previous room-mate had a dog, but he never excreted in the house. I'm not sure if he's bashful.. he has gone plenty of times in front of me when on the leash. But maybe he is more bashful about it when we're inside, and doesn't want to notify me about having to go?
    It was the same spot until today.. new spot now. I can't remember if I sprayed the old spot.. maybe that is why. Since summer is at its end, maybe I'll have to take him to work with me and leave him in the car (depending on heat, of course). But, that would be more comfortable for him than a crate in the house.
  • You should never leave a dog unattended in a car for more than a few minutes and not at all when its warm out. It doesn't have to be 90 outside for the inside of your car to heat up. I would follow @lindsayt 's advice above. If you are also unsure of what to do when you start working again there are a lot of threads on that subject you should read, common options are crate/expen, free roam of house (providing it is dog proof), or a doggy day care/dog walker.
  • RikkaRikka
    I doubt he's being bashful. He's going in places where it's hidden from you to avoid confrontation and he recognizes the smell of previous excretions. Leaving him in a car is definitely not more comfortable than a crate. Echoing everyone else's recommendation here -- confine him in an ex-pen or a crate when you're gone. Sagan is on a leash either by connected to my waist or in his "play area" in the house and he hasn't had an accident since the day I brought him home.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Guess I'll have to start with one option, then move to the next if it doesn't work. This seems crazy since he is nearly 3, and is surely a pain in the butt! But.. he's worth it!
  • JuniJuni
    Bashful or particular might be a better word for it, is if he is very picky with where he poops outside. Are there any spots he has used outside that you can go back to? If he hasn't found any good toilet spots yet perhaps try and walk him somewhere you haven't been preferrably with long grass or bushes. Any time he is more likely needing to go when you can take him out?
  • Some dogs have a specific territory outside they tend to eliminate in. Once in an new area they have to figure it out all over where the spot is/will be. If your dog has not made the mental adjustment you have to go back to square one in training and be patient. Moving stresses some dogs and they get confused as to where to go. Again, back track as he/she were a puppy and then go from there.

Inside limit free access areas using an ex-pen, unless you can fully monitor and get them out. I would put potty on cue. Ask him if he has to "potty" so he gets the idea to let you know. Don't wait for him to ask you, just ask him instead on the regular schedule and get them out the door. Also keep treats in the pocket when he poops you reward him and do a happy dance. Some dance for rain in potty training you dance for poop (lol)!

FYI: If there was anytime that he was scolded wile in the middle of pooping he will default to hiding to poop in private, wherever that may be. Don't get too frustrated by huffing or puffing or any hurry up requests on a walk, or it may hinder your efforts. Also exercise encourages bowel activity so maybe a brisk walk rather than a mosey will help out.

For now look at it this way, he/she is NOT potty trained ..... go back to helping refresh your and his memory until adjustment to new area is made for the new enviornment.

Snf

Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-09-10 11:10:24
  • tysaaantysaaan
    Read all of this and it definitely helps. I am going to try waking up earlier than usual to let him out so that he poops outside.

My situation is that Jibo pooped in my room one night, and then from that day on pooped every single night consecutively. The problem is that he poops the night before, and then the next day does not poop when I let him out. I'd be lucky if he poops after his second meal at around 5:00pm. I know he has to go as well because his (for a lack of better words) butthole is bigger and looks different than when he doesn't have to go, but I don't know what to do to make him go. I've even went as far as feeding him a little more so that he can't hold it and go, but he just stops when he is full and doesn't poop.
  • JuniJuni
    You say you let him out so I guess that means you don't take him for a walk? As mentioned in previous posts exercise helps bowel movement so perhaps take him for a walk in the evening instead?
  • As @Juni said, exercise helps get the poopoo going. Tali refuses to ever poo when we let her out, however, she will poop like clockwork right when we go around the corner. Shibas are clean by nature and there are quite a handful of them that won't go at all near their house.
  • tysaaantysaaan
    @Juni - Oops, sorry for the misuse of words. I take him for a walk around the neighborhood, probably around .5 miles twice a day though. I used to bring him for 1 mile walks in the morning and then walking a few more miles at night, but lately have been reducing walks because of school just starting. However I will try switching back to longer walks today and let you guys know if it helps at all.

@Nikkitine I agree. Jibo hasn't used the bathroom in our front yard ever since he was a puppy only after going twice there.
  • What kind of food is he on and what is his feeding schedule?
  • tysaaantysaaan
    Nikkitine said:

What kind of food is he on and what is his feeding schedule?

He's eating the salmon TOTW and he eats twice a day. Once in the morning, once in the evening.

@nikkitine
    Post edited by tysaaan at 2015-09-11 16:20:59
  • sunyatasunyata
    @tysaaan - A half mile walk twice a day is NOT enough. You should be taking him out at LEAST three times a day and walking at least twice that distance each time (probably more). This is probably a huge part of your problem.

For an example (and keep in mind my Shibas are older, 7 and almost 11):
    In the morning, my dogs get a 45 minute walk (which is probably close to three miles) before I head to work (and just so there are no excuses, I have to be at work at 6:30 in the morning).
    Most days, they get a lunch walk for about a half hour, which is probably two miles.
    In the evening, they get an hour walk/jog (close to 5 miles) when I get home from work and before I head out for whatever evening activity I have (I am an athlete and train a lot).
    Before bed, they get another 30-45 minute walk (2-3 miles), sometimes longer depending on their activity level.

They are incredibly regular with their schedule and poop on their morning and evening walks. I have never had an issue with them using the bathroom in the house (that was not medical, that is).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • tysaaantysaaan
    sunyata said:

@tysaaan - A half mile walk twice a day is NOT enough. You should be taking him out at LEAST three times a day and walking at least twice that distance each time (probably more). This is probably a huge part of your problem.

For an example (and keep in mind my Shibas are older, 7 and almost 11):
    In the morning, my dogs get a 45 minute walk (which is probably close to three miles) before I head to work (and just so there are no excuses, I have to be at work at 6:30 in the morning).
    Most days, they get a lunch walk for about a half hour, which is probably two miles.
    In the evening, they get an hour walk/jog (close to 5 miles) when I get home from work and before I head out for whatever evening activity I have (I am an athlete and train a lot).
    Before bed, they get another 30-45 minute walk (2-3 miles), sometimes longer depending on their activity level.

They are incredibly regular with their schedule and poop on their morning and evening walks. I have never had an issue with them using the bathroom in the house (that was not medical, that is).

Thank you for the advice :) I started walking more with him already, 1-2 miles a day and it does seem to be helping since he's haven't had an accident since. We are moving very soon as well and there is a huge park next to the house, I plan on taking him on super long walks around the place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)