For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba In Need of New Parents. ND/MN Area
  • KitsuKitsu
    It saddens me a lot, and I've been crying coming to this conclusion. But we can't give her the attention she needs anymore, life has been throwing us some curve balls.

Lots of financial troubles and schedule conflicts. She's just in her crate a lot and never gets to exercise that much.
    A lot of you are probably going to think I'm a bad owner for giving her away but I think it's best to find her a good home that can provide more attention for her than keep her and have her basically live 90% in the crate.

She's 5 months old, red, up to date with shots and I'll obviously give all of her stuff with her (Crate, carrier, x-pen, toys, treats, etc.) I won't ship her and I can't travel due to car troubles (yet another financial issue,) Plus all her stuff wouldn't fit in the car.
  • BootzBootz
    :( I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried contacting the breeder and letting them know?
  • KitsuKitsu
    I have contacted the breeder, since I'm obligated to (Right of first refusal and all that jazz.) I doubt she'll take her back, since I'm not responsible for shipping and all that. She'd have to make the accommodations. I have two friends that are interested in her (it helps that she's so cute :P ) One can take her for sure, the other is asking her fiance' tomorrow. I'm glad that I'll be able to know for sure that she'll get a good home.
  • KitsuKitsu
    I'll get another Shiba in the future, late future, when I have a steady career after college and a house with a nice yard.
  • I'm afraid I don't understand this part: "I doubt she'll take her back, since I'm not responsible for shipping and all that. She'd have to make the accommodations." You mean you are not obligated to pay for the shipping costs -- she would be the one paying if she really wants to take her back?

If that is the case, and if she is willing to make the accommodations, I would encourage you to try your damndest to meet the breeder half way and figure out a good plan for returning Mika. If you trust this breeder to find the best possible home for Mika, knowing what she does about Shibas and the puppies that she breeds, then you owe this to her, to yourself (for the sake of your future relationships with Shiba breeders), and to Mika.

At the very least, please take the responsibility to get her spayed before giving her away, even if to one of your friends. You mentioned that she had an appointment coming up, so I hope you can see that through. You can split the cost of the spay with her adopter (by way of her "rehoming" fee), or look for a low-cost spay clinic near you, if finances are an issue. Even good friends with the best intentions can accidentally put her into a vulnerable, exploitable position. I have seen this happen a lot lately. It does not have to happen to Mika.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-08 04:04:38
  • KitsuKitsu
    @Curlytails I'd love to meet her half-way, if that was financially possible. I have no car anymore, so I can't drive to the airport to ship her back (the nearest airport that would work is a five hour drive away.) I already have some people lined up that would be more than happy to take Mika, and are financially stable. The spay appointment will be moved up a week or so until she's 6 months, but it will be happening.
  • I'm sorry this is happening and if I lived within driving distance I would take her in a heartbeat. I know your breeder would want her back if at all possible if you could figure out how to work that out. Maybe a friend would be willing to lend you a vehicle or even take her to the airport?
  • InoushiInoushi
    This is very unfortunate. I was hoping for a happy update. Though I am surprised you were just asking about a kitten and now this. Are you sure this isn't a spur of the moment decision? Why not leave her in a puppy proof room during the day, or maybe enlist the friends that want her as dog sitters while you get through it?
  • Send her back to her breeder. I suspect your contract requires you to do so, anyway, as most contracts from good breeders do so. And yes, you are responsible for shipping her back to her breeder. When anyone buys a dog, they become, literally, responsible for that dog's life. Including doing the best thing for the dog. It sounds like this may, in fact, be the best thing for Mika, so good for you for coming to that point; however, part of your responsibility to her, and making sure she has a good life, is to get her back to her breeder, and that includes you paying shipping costs. If you can afford a kitten, you can afford to do this, or borrow the money, or whatever, but get this dog back to her breeder. It is your responsibility to do so.

• sunyatasunyata
    What did your breeder say about this? Is she okay with you giving Mika away to people that she has never spoken with?

I really think that you should work with the breeder to find a way to get Mika back to her so that she can place her into a home that she approves with the appropriate contracts.

I am sorry to hear that things are not working out with Mika the way you had hoped. But I agree with @Inoushi that it seems odd that you were just asking about adding a kitten to your home a few hours ago and now you need to re-home Mika. Have you really given this the thought and consideration that it deserves?

Again, I encourage you to speak with your breeder about your decision and work with her to ensure that you can get Mika into a home that she approves with the appropriate contracts.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • KitsuKitsu
    @britkotsu I might be able to get to the airport, the only thing that I care about right now is getting her into a caring home.

@inoushi It's not spur of the moment, I've been dreading this decision for awhile, shrugging it off and saying things will get better. I really do love her, I just want what's best for her. My partner and I had a long serious discussion earlier about what we should do.

@Shibamistress There's almost no way I can get her back to the breeder if I had to pay shipping costs. One of the problems that has arisen is me having to almost completely deplete my bank account and charge most of the credit available on my cards. I have food for Mika and stuff to last until I can get her a good home. But unless the breeder can pay for shipping and arrange that, then she'll most likely go to my financially very well-off family friend, I know they'll take care of her, and even spoil her. I read through the contract earlier, it only mentions that the breeder has "right of first refusal." Which just means that the breeder gets to take or buy her back before anyone else, it doesn't require me to return her to her, although I would like to do that. I emailed her earlier, if I don't get an email from her by around 6pm I'll give her a call and talk to her about it.

I would love to do everything I can to get Mika back to her breeder, but if that's not an option or not possible with my current financial situation, I'd rather get Mika into a loving home than end up surrendering her to the Humane Society if I can't afford food for her. I'm lucky enough to have friends that can provide a loving home for her. When I get financially stable again, I don't plan on asking for her back- because that would be wrong to just ask to take her back from a family that has gotten used to her.
  • KitsuKitsu
    @Sunyata , I was asking about the kittens because I was in the state-of-mind that I everything would just magically get better, not worse. It would have been my brother's kitten that I'd be watching/keeping for awhile if that would have happened, so I wouldn't have been buying food or anything, my brother would have kept providing for the kitten. I just wish things would have turned out better. All I can do now is find a good home for her/talk with her breeder.
  • YukikoYukiko
    Call Pauline. She can be pretty slow about replying the hundreds of emails she gets. Calling and leaving a voicemail if she doesn't answer will get you a reply a lot faster. :)
  • KitsuKitsu
    She actually JUST (like 2 minutes ago) emailed me. She said she can't buy or afford to pay shipping back. She that she'd resell Mika and give me the profits or I could rehome her myself to a home I see fit. With all the stuff Mika has, it'd be really hard to ship all that to the other side of the country with her (and pricey.)
  • SayaSaya
    So sorry you have to do this.

Hope she gets a new home.

So odd two owners had give their shiba up similar thing. :\

At least if the home is close by you can visit.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KitsuKitsu
    Seems so quiet without her :(( At least I'll be able to go visit whenever I want!
  • KitsuKitsu
    UPDATE: It's been about three weeks since Mika left. She's doing very well and getting along with my brothers cat quite well. (However she is always wanting to play!!) She's gotten a lot bigger (can't wait to see how big, going to visit her today) and she's started humping! :P
  • Did you go through with Mika's spay appointment?
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)