For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
New York Petition to Allow Dogs on Subways!
  • Hey guys!

I've finally got fed up with the carrier situation I've been facing with Tonka - while I persist in finding a way to cart him around on the subways comfortably (both for me and everyone around him), I've started contacting city officials and started this petition to try to allow licensed dogs on certain subway cars to make getting around possible! If you're in support, please go to http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newyorksubwaydogs/ and sign - help Tonka get to work with me without having a coronary in a tiny mesh box! :)
  • Signed -- since I'm generally in favor of more dog-friendly spaces and accessible public transportation. Honestly, I'm not sure you're going to be able to get what you want. Pet access would surely be restricted during high traffic times, for example, and I bet the backlash against this petition would be pretty vocal (pet access policies tend to bring out some of the most vitriolic commentary, I've come to realize... justified or not).

Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck in this campaign!

BTW, you should contact some NYC dog bloggers like Shio and Emi, Two Grad Students and a Pittie...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-09-02 17:12:33
  • @curlytails Thanks so much for your support, and the suggestions! I've spent the afternoon trolling dog forums in the effort to get the petition out there to other people than Shiba owners (I figure the Golden and Pitbull owners alone could probably get the number of signatures needed, haha!), so this is helpful! If anyone else has suggestions, definitely pass them my way.

I'm sure I'm going to reach backlash - I actually thought pretty hard about the pros and cons before starting the petition at all, and I'm actually totally in support of people not wanting dogs on the subway as well. They can be rambunctious, unclean, and disruptive, not to mention people have allergies and phobias. If it were any other city than New York, I would just take my lumps, but it's impossible to get anywhere in this city without using the MTA, and the thought of having to choose between Tonka and a park outside of my neighborhood seems ridiculous. If the MTA weren't practically mandatory, I'd call it a luxury, but it's a necessity!

Again, thanks for your help - any help we can get will be useful!
    Post edited by TonkaTalks at 2012-09-02 19:12:37
  • tatonkatatonka
    Signed.

I'll usually take Tatonka in anywhere and only take him out if I'm told explicitly otherwise.

Dogs should be allowed in more places!
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-02 18:35:04
  • Haha, so I registered with dogforums.com and posted something about the petition about two hours ago...I logged back in now to see if anyone had commented or anything, and it says I've been "banned for the reason: spam. Date ban will be lifted: Never." I can't access any of the other pages because I'm "banned," and when I respond to the webmaster email, it rejects my email.

I guess there's my first backlash! :) Thank God our forum is a little more interactive...
  • phipsphips
    signed. great idea. i wish dogs could go more places...those people who don't train their dogs ruin it for all of us =(
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • SayaSaya
    Phips says it right

"those people who don't train their dogs ruin it for all of us"

The farmer market used allow dogs till couple years ago..

The farmer market in west Lafayette allows dogs, but is on weekday and mom works that day..

I always brought Saya as a young dog she met a lot of different people of different age and race..

I coarse used common sense if it was too crowded I held her so I could buy things and she not be in way.

She's actually great in crowds probably due to it.

I did see some rude dogs that owners were to dumb to notice they weren't crowd material.. The dog barked constantly and sniffed at the food cooking and so on.

One dog peed on the vendor's stall luckily no food was under the table, but still.

Yeah during high traffic times this would be an issue..

I do know in certain countries they are dogs allowed on trains not sure what is needed to do it. I think one is ok to go on trains long as dog is muzzled..

That could be an option for NYC subways.. Coarse muzzled dog can give a wrong impression that dog is aggressive so that could be an issue, but I dunno.

Here's a blog I like to follow.. They're in France I believe.
    http://www.akiraleshiba.com/2011/01/akiras-winter-vacation-pt-i-les.html

I don't mind carrier option, but for big dog owners it must be annoying they can't bring their dog to go to vet or somewhere.

I don't live where subway is so don't know how it is.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Not a bad idea, Saya - I could see how muzzling a dog would give someone the wrong idea about him or her, but if it's mandatory to muzzle them to ride the train, people would know that was why. I wouldn't mind putting it on Tonka right before we got in and taking it off once we were off. Good suggestion!
  • I have heard that dogs are allowed on public transportation in Toronto. This could be something to look into further if you'd like to present how another North American city regulates pets on public transportation.

In the SF Bay Area, where the dog to human ratio is relatively high, many pet owners claim "service animal" status for their dogs and bring them on the BART without carriers. Many are legit, but frankly, many aren't. I personally don't care since the vast majority of dogs I see are more well behaved than people, but I've seen discussions go awry many a time whenever this is brought up. I think it's unfortunate that anyone feels they need to resort to claiming a disability just because they want to take public transportation to the Bay Area's many dog-friendly locations. It shouldn't be a stigma to want your pet's companionship in public, and like you said, Tonka, it's the primary mode of transportation for many urban dwellers.

That was certainly the case for me when I lived in Taipei, where I was quite mobile relying entirely on public transportation. However, I could only bring Bowdu along by taxi. I may have had the option to put him in a covered stroller if I wanted him to join me on the subway (I gotta check this, actually), but I'd have nowhere to park the stroller upon reaching our final destination, and like hell if I'm pushing my dog along in a buggy everywhere I go! *laugh*
  • Another great suggestion, @curlytails - I have a friend in Toronto who I'm sure would be willing to help out! And I'm TOTALLY with you...several friends have suggested the stroller, and I shudder at the idea...Tonka's a sturdy dude, I can't imagine carrying around a stroller and having other riders look in to see a Shiba face staring out...

I'm running into a lot of trouble promoting the petition on dog forums - I really thought they would be the best place to post links, but I keep getting kicked off for spam. I asked on one before posting, just to be sure, and they said petitions are forbidden on the forum. So if any of you have more ideas where I can reach out, let me know!
  • NYC-based dog meetup groups?
    Facebook?

Honestly, if you were not already a participating member of this forum, we probably would have frowned on the idea of you joining just to post a petition... ;)

Perhaps it would help if you put some information about the petition sponsor on the site, too. I think the text you have put up is succinct, well-written, friendly and diplomatic. But some more details about what specifically you envision, maybe in bullet points, might be in order?
  • tatonkatatonka
    @curlytails.. the dog stroller and doggie skirts/pants shoppe in Sogo freaked me out. I've seen a lot of toy dogs in strollers in Taipei.. frankly I don't get it.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-09-03 01:21:16
  • LosechLosech
    @tatonka The dog strollers freak Conker out too. Seriously, he's afraid of them. That would never work with him. Not like I'd do it anyways, I think that is just odd if your dog isn't like, completely unable to walk on it's own or something.

Oh, I'm not in New York but I signed anyways.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-09-03 01:37:16
  • They definitely have a stigma here. And strollers on subways during rush hour are irritating enough as it is...knowing its carrying a dog is just obnoxious.

I got Tonka a Snoozer 4-in-1 carrier that rolls, but he doesn't fit unless I leave the top open and connect the tether from the inside to his collar, and I'm afraid the noise of the rolling and his puppy-inability to sit still for more than ten minutes will make him want to jump out (and subsequently have a conniption when he can't). So I bet he'd be afraid of the stroller too.
  • JuniJuni
    Here in Stockholm dogs are allowed on all public transport. On the trains half of the carriages are dogs allowed and half are not and there are stickers on the doors that shows which is which. Most people don't seem to mind and many seem to enjoy it and take it as an opportunity to talk to you, but there is always someone that gives you the evil eye like Juni is contageous or something.
    Once I was on the tram and the conductor told me I should get off because there was already 2 dogs on the tram and I should have noticed it getting on and waited for the next train! I told him I never heard of that rule. And how would I do that? So I should quickly count how many dogs there are on the tram before the doors close or what? I asked another conductor next time I went on the tram and he told me the rule is that you are only allowed to bring in 2 dogs per person. That made more sense to me.
  • @curlytails I've made some tweaking to the petition, I think it'll be more clear - thanks for the suggestion!

I've also made a page for it on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Allow-Dogs-on-the-NYC-Subway/312236755540766. This way, if anyone knows of someone who might be interested in supporting and are on Facebook, they can share the page, like it and sign the petition.

Thanks again for all your help, guys...Tonka wants to get to work!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)