For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How hard is too hard?
  • PearlPearl
    ugh, I just found one of Pearls teeth, its pretty much the whole small tooth from what I can tell. She's been chewing on a big knucklebone and it seemed to be going fine. Maybe she was a bit overzealous, but we assumed it was because it was a new type of bone for her. Maybe she her tooth was bugging her and that made her irritable overall. We'd made a lot of progress on her possessiveness and were really surprised that she'd be so protective of a new bone. I dunno, but we've made an appointment with our vet so we're going to cover our bases anyway.

Are knuckles too hard? is it possible it was the antlers that did it? He's what she's been chewing on lately;

my fingers (kidding, sorta... we're working on it.)
    dried pig skin treats,
    Knotted rope,
    hollow hoof,
    small split antler, (new and she's chewed 50% of it up)
    whole antler, (not really interested)
    knuckle bones, (she gets really into these, I suspect this was the bone that she knocked the tooth out on)
    marrow bones (she doesn't really chew these down)

Is it possible not thawing out the bones out fully was the problem? We normally give them too her right from the freezer.

Also, I've done a few quick searches on the forum and online and come up short with a how hard a chew toy is too hard for Shibas. Are there any chew toys I should avoid?

Thanks in Advance,
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-09-04 08:46:10
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-09-02 14:33:56
  • PearlPearl
    raw knuckle, we've never used the cooked or smoked ones.. The ribs might be a good idea, to let her grind it with her back teeth. I'll try one and see how it goes.
  • SayaSaya
  • PearlPearl
    I'd be shocked if it was, she's a year and 3 months old. It was the smallest tooth, first behind her large incisor.
  • PearlPearl
    Finally got some smoked beef rib bones at my local store. Pearl quickly started to break splinters off. I was so disappointed, I thought this would finally be the ideal bones. She's been enjoying chewing on calf and pig ears and they've been going well.

Also had a run in with some hoof shards, so we'll be steering clear of those too. I'm really happy with the pig and cow ears but they're not bones, not going to clean teeth the same way.

I've got some raw beef rib bones. They small, and she finished it in 3 minutes, but they're raw so I don't have to worry about obstruction as much. I'll take a look for some larger raw beef rib bones and see if they last longer.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • PearlPearl
    @lindsayt those smoked splinters are the kind that can cause problems, right?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • PearlPearl
    bison knuckle bones have become the chewing item of choice. The raw rib bones I've found so far are all too small, but the small cut knucklebones take her an hour and she's willing to leave it alone if I offer a good enough treat. The ones I've found are smaller, so she's not able to chew for long enough to hurt herself.

I'm uncertain if they're cartilage or load bearing bone, anyone know? Google and advanced search didn't give me anything.

Once, I know that, I'll be sure of my decision.

How often should I let her eat a 150-200 g bison knucklebone? I'd like to avoid wearing her teeth down too far and have heard some nasty stories.

• lindsaytlindsayt
  • PearlPearl
    damn, I just noticed that she's chipped one of her front teeth. I'm really confused, The biggest change has been using those buffalo knuckles. Is it possible the rawhide chews are to blame? Playing tugs couldn't possibly crack a tooth could it?

Do dogs eat mud when they hurt their teeth? Or is that a separate thing?
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
  • PearlPearl
    Post edited by Pearl at 2013-01-21 21:58:12
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)