For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How many times is too many?
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    After reading antoher thread this brings a question to my attention, my Shiba...3 mo...i've noticed he poops quite a lot, what is normal? His stool is usually normal, although sometimes it looks very soft, not quite runny (sorry for the details) but really soft looking. And sometimes it will be slightly runny (again sorry for the gory details!). Sometimes he goes 3+ times a day. Is this bad? Could this be allergies? I give him Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. That's what the breeders were feeding him before I receieved him. He itches sometimes but not too often and most of the time I think its because he hates his harness.
  • I think that is too much. My dogs go once a day, sometimes twice, but not more than that. Their poop is pretty firm (but they are raw fed with bone), and if I notice it is not, then I figure something is up.

It could be allergies, esp. if he is itching, but first of all, I'd take him to the vet and have them look him over for other issues, including parasites/worms. If there is nothing there, try switching to another food.
  • SayaSaya
    Keep in mind Lisa your feeding raw diet.. 3 times sounds normal with kibble. Though with a shiba I'm not sure, but since it is kibble with rice it could be why grains tend to bulk poop up.

Bella poops a lot when fed kibble if I feed her raw meals for a whole week the difference is amazing.. She's a 53 or 55lb boxer and her poop on kibble is not too bad though it's bigger then her poop when she eats raw meals..

Bella the boxer probably poops 3 or 4 times a day I need ask mom how much she goes in am since I'm not up when she gets up..

Is the poop is runny actual watery poop?

Loose poop can be many things maybe he's not doing to well on the kibble? Saya was on a grain inclusive kibble as a puppy chicken soup for puppy lover soul and then wellness puppy kibble.

Wellness core now has a puppy formula which is good I never tried it since they only had normal core formulas.. She was switched to wellness core ocean at 6months of age she did fine..

Could be due to stress or excitement Bella always got loose poop on the way to the dog park she'd get so excited once we hit the grass she had to go. :\

Odd if the kibble is same he been on from breeder then he should be used to it.

Has he been like that since you got him or is this new?

He could have developed an issue with the kibble so maybe slowly try a new one without chicken or rice? Fish is a good one to do though not many puppy kibble is fish only..

I think there might be some with just lamb?

Saya is raw fed she poops once a day and if she had a bone in meal she poops two times a day, but the poop is smaller compared to her kibble poop..

She ate the honest kitchen food and she loved it did make her poop bit bigger compared to raw one, but not too big it was firm so that's good.

Maybe try giving some probiotics to help get the gut in order? There is dog kind or human kind I never used them so not sure what brand be the best.

Bella used to have random loose soft serve ice cream poop as a pup on wellness puppy kibble Saya didn't have any issue. She was put on wellness core ocean once an adult and she did much better on it.

Are you following the feeding guidelines? Maybe he needs a bit less? Too much food can cause loose poop.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    I think i'm following them? He gets 1/2 cup twice a day, sometimes he eats it all sometimes he skips some meals but it seems that sometimes Shibas will do that. He was actually just pretty sick, took him to the emergency vet, they tested him for parvo, worms, parasites etc. and everything came back negative. He had very bad diarrhea and threw up once. They gave me 3 cans of ID food that was supposed to be good for his tummy. He loves it, he had some solid poops while eating that, I started to mix in his reg. kibble (it doesn't actually have rice grains in it) and I'm pretty sure his next poop was softer. I'm thinking maybe the food? Too bad considering I just bought a massive 40lb bag! He is going to the vet tomorrow and I will follow up again. What is everybody feeding their Shiba puppies? Thanks for all the info. @Saya, very helpful!
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Also, the breeder told me that he just let them eat as much as they wanted, if they ate all their food he gave them more until they were full. I'm not doing that though...like I said I give him 1/2 cup twice a day...is that still too much?
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Like Saya points out if you feed a lot of kibble the will be bulky and there will be more pooping. I would control the amounts. At three months if you feed three times a day you will get 3 poops and maybe one more. Raw will reduce the amount of defecation.

Maybe a change in the brand of kibble will help. Not all dogs can digest all brands of kibble so finding the right one is going to take some trial and error.

Snf
    Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2012-08-22 14:51:50
  • nicole_anicole_a
    I feed my dog 1.5 cups a day and she poops once a day but she usually splits it up into two squats. The first one is always solid and the second is always runny. I never thought this was an issue until I started reading about it on here...should I be concerned about the runny part? I feed her Taste of the Wild salmon formula kibble
  • BootzBootz
    I feed Bootz about 1.5 cups a day and she's at 28 lbs )...she only poops 1-2 times a day. Only time she ever poops 3 times a day is if i bring her to the dog park and all the dog smells make her go twice!

@Jscarf5, each shiba is different, and you have to adjust the feeding accordingly. The guidelines on the bags are just guidelines, but I find most people feed less than what the TOTW guidelines show.
  • SayaSaya
    This talks on probiotics

http://dogprobiotics.com/

Arknaturals has one too called gentle digest Conker's owner used it and I believe it helped him.

I haven't had need to use it since Saya has a good iron stomach, but I might get it just in case.

Maybe he's still recovering from being sick? His gut might not be recovered yet.

I dunno though just guessing a probiotic might help with his stomach get more better and digest things better.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Glad I came across this thread, when we had Saki on a higher protien diet her bm's were very runny and quite frequent, we have since changed to a lower protien diet and everything seems fine, but am thinking the probiotics might be good for her since she doesn't have the best stomach and some days they can be runny depending on the amount of treats or sneaks of food she gets from certain people in the house :)
    Deb and Jeff, Appleton, WI
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Yeah I also think the treats have something to do with it as well, when he gets more (if my mother comes over and spoils him) it seems to be more runny. I'll have to keep a better eye on her! (my mom hehe)
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    This is probably a dumb question but, when people say they are feeding them raw..what exactly are you feeding them?
  • BootzBootz
    @JScarf5, there are different types of raw. But its exactly what you think. Uncooked meat, pieces of animal! Necks, bones, organs, etc.... ;)
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @JScarf5:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9663/raw-thread/p1

Happy reading. =) There's a ton more information in a bunch of other threads on this forum, too.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)