For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What have your shibas been up to this summer?
  • JuniJuni
    Has anyone been on holiday? Has anyone learned anything new?
    I thought it could be fun to share some summer stories.
    Juni and I started our vacation with a weekend doggy camp! We and 11 other dogs and owners stayed at an agriculture college and learned some tracking and other nose work activities, I learned about dog massage and first aid for dogs.
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B3F34284C2672F86&id=B3F34284C2672F86!163&sc=Photos
    (waiting for the scent in the track to "cool down" so Juni can go sniff it)

It was nice to have 3 whole days just being with my dog, doing things with her. Juni did great too, she only found it difficult to relax in a small room crammed with strange dogs for the massage session, but she did great tracking and was very tired afterwards.

(I'm sorry I'm at work and can't upload any pics better than this.)

After that we went to Norway for a week, camping and seeing the sights. Juni loves camping, but at night she thinks she needs to defend the tent from other campers so barks a bit when people get to close. Once inside the tent she's fine and next morning she's relaxed. Same procedure at next campsite...
    http://shibainfo.com/forum/img/gallery/441_1342105034.jpg
    We only did a few shorter hikes but she absolutely loved it so next summer we must plan some longer hiking trips. Her favourite moment was when we stopped up in the mountains where they still had snow. Juni looked at it, sniffed it and yes, wasn't it? could it really be?oh yeah, it is snow yippie!!! She never wanted to leave.
    http://shibainfo.com/forum/img/gallery/441_1342104472.jpg

Once we saw a big traffic jam in the middle of nowhere, when we got closer we saw it was because there was a big herd of goats everywhere. Juni sat in the back seat barking at them, she was really angry at the goats!!!! Not sure why...

After that trip we went to Göta Kanal, which is a canal that stretches across Sweden, linking up with various lakes. It was made in the 19th century for transportation but with the expansion of railroads it lost its importance very quickly. Anyways, I bicycled along it and my boyfriend went by kayak and Juni ran or sat in her bicycle basket for 4 days. Apparently we were quite a sight...people recognized us.
    http://shibainfo.com/forum/img/gallery/441_1343402362.jpg

http://shibainfo.com/forum/img/gallery/441_1343401974.jpg

For some reason the sheep we met on bike were not at all upsetting, either there's a difference between goats and sheep in Juni's mind or she just wasn't so courageous outside the car....

• SayaSaya
    Saya been mostly hanging at the house she has killed 7 rabbits this year she considers that a great thing..

8 total if you count the one she got last year she ran right at it from the shed to the woods which was far ways away she had bells on so bunny had plenty of time to escape, but she was quick for a shiba who is like her..

Saya was boarded for a week while I was in Arkansas. I had a blast, but I think Saya and Bella got stressed the whole time which was too bad. :(

Last time when Bella was boarded she did fine looked happy good weight.. This time Bella lost weight and both dogs smelled. Saya never smells..

Saya was a bit sleepy when she came back also had mucous poop. :\

I think it was from stress she did fine on the food she ate so couldn't been due to issue with food either way.. Took her week to recover. I gave her chicken drumstick and day after that she had pork rib and that got her poop more normal.
    Photobucket

She has also met a groundhog which I trapped she thought it was neat she wanted to play with it she played bow at it and wag her tail all friendly. She got the hint it was prey once it growled and charged at her in the trap.

I didn't have Saya harass the groundhog to be cruel I hoped she learned that groundhogs aren't like rabbits and will hurt her if she tries go for it. Plus I worked with her to come when called, leave it and sit while by it.

She didn't get bitten since the groundhog was in trap, but the growl and charging should be enough to get the message across.

Photobucket
    Photobucket

At least this one won't be eating my veggies anymore.

Last weekend we went to a shiba picnic in Madison WI we had a blast. Me and mom ate at a sushi joint and we took dogs for nice walk then went to bed.

Next day I fed Saya a yummy chicken drumstick, beef liver and then we went to farmer's market got some things, cheese, emu hamburger, emu brats, and I got Saya two lbs of ground emu I wished I got three lbs ah well.

We went to the park early so Bella could have fun at the dog park and Saya could take nice walk on trails. Saya doesn't do so well with other dogs due to being attacked couple times. Ah well she is still happy and healthy all I care about.

She did play with the shiba gang some.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.433628540013090.100186.100000978432687&type=3&l=6b126b1891

Here's beautiful artwork I got from the auction
    Photobucket

I got these from bad dog frida yummy six salmon skin chews, ziwipeak deer shank chew, pal dog outdoor spray, and Karen becker dvd, book, and shiba magnet for me. :D
    Photobucket

Saya also been getting packages by the truck load! Just kidding. haha
    Photobucket
    She got a 8lb or so of coconut oil it's gallon of it. :) I plan to use it more for my own cooking instead of canola or olive oil and put it in my smoothies.
    Photobucket
    Also Saya gets a little each day too she loves coconut oil..

Photobucket

When I was at bad dog frida I got two free samples of honest kitchen the turkey kind and beef kind. Today Saya tried the beef she loved it I think she loved the beef one more then turkey, but she ate both.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Like I said Saya mainly hangs around the house or outside the house while I do outside chores and she enjoys making sure the mice, rats, and rabbits stay away from the house and garden. She allows birds since they're two quick and I've told her no. She always watchful on vultures, hawks and crows and chases them off if they land.

I mean she charged at the hawk that landed to try get a bird meal.. I wished I had the camera at the time.

Photobucket
    Picture above is Saya in the greenery by the house she is so hard to spot in it. She runs through it to look for critters to go after.

She enjoys her off leash times outside and I enjoy making different treats for her to eat or for training.

December we are probably going to Louisiana to help my brother's girlfriend move down there Saya will probably come so she won't have to be boarded.

Saya goes to farmer's market in Lafayette IN with me they don't allow dogs anymore thanks to bad dog owners.. Grr!

Saya does well in crowds. I still bring her we hang on the side walk while mom gets things and then I go get Saya some yummy grass fed/ free ranged beef, lamb, pork organs and sometimes meat or ribs.

She still gets to come and meet people and not be in the market..
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Her in backyard running around.
    Photobucket

Saya with her off leash attire on bright bandanna collar and jingle bells on I plan get her a swiss dog bell soon.
    Photobucket

Sorry for long post.. hehe

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-08-22 15:43:10
  • JuniJuni
    imageI am embarrassed to see that I never updated this thread last summer...but here I go again. I love to read about Shibas on holiday so please share what you have been up to this summer.

As you may know, in Sweden you get 5-7 weeks paid vacation every year so there's plenty of time to have fun!
    Juni and I were invited to the south of Sweden for a long weekend in the beginning of July. A bit too much car rides for Juni's liking but there were highlights such as fighting ducks

and cool old castles

with nice wetlands surrounding the castle with more birds...

on the way up to Stockholm again, stopping at Sweden's second largest lake

Next adventure was a combined bike and kayak tour (I like bicycling, my partner likes kayaking so we meet up and camp together. Juni knows how to sit in the kayak (We started practising on dry land)

...but prefers the bike so us girls were pedalling. We only ran in to bad weather once

First day I had some problems with my map and we got a bit lost...and the front basket was causing problems too so at one point the whole bike tipped over while I tried to fix it, with Juni in her basket. But she only shook off some dust and was happy again. While I was messing with the basket Juni walked a bit ahead of me. All of a sudden I look up and see Juni with a weird frozen pose staring at a snake! No no no, I screamed at her and luckily she backed off. Phew! (at Easter she attacked a snake by mistake in some tall dry grass, probably thinking the sound came from a mouse, but we were lucky that time too, she never bit the snake so the snake only faked an attack back)
    Juni also saw her first moose that day, very exciting!

Being out camping is the best!

The second day Juni froze again staring at something in the grass and we thought she'd found another snake but it turned out to be a worm :-) we praised her of course for being very cautious...

This summer has been unusally hot here so we also spent a couple of weeks doing nothing due to the heat. But before it was time to start work again Juni and I went up north to do some hiking. SInce I went alone I didn't want to bring a tent or hike a trail from hut to hut so we stayed in a hotel and just did day trips.

This year apparently was a year with plenty of lemmings (little rodents) and Juni went berserk killing a few every day...so a lot of the time we were admiring different views...

but not always

the hotel was very dog friendly, Juni even got her own soft bed

So, now it is your turn to share!
    Post edited by Juni at 2014-09-21 13:23:38
  • We just got Nymeria this summer so not much to report, SO let's see...

She was born in early June and that was awesome!

Then we picked her up in late July which was even MORE awesome!

She started attending her favorite Saturday morning activity, Puppy Party

And as she started to get more of her shots, we went to some dog friendly places in Virginia:
    Gunston Hall on the Porch

Gunston Hall on the Lawn

Sully Plantation

And then she met some Irish Wolfhounds

That's about it for this summer! Next summer we'll do many more things!
    Post edited by lauratherose at 2014-09-24 12:01:55

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)