For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Is it possible to teach them how to howl like a wolf?
  • I see some shibas do it on youtube...and this one black and tan shiba does it before the owner feeds them...Is there a way to train them how to howl?
  • SayaSaya
    Not sure.. Bella my boxer will howl when I mess around with the harmonica, but Saya my shiba she only howled twice in her three years..

She is a yodeler though.

She'll also do a growl which is so funny she does it when she is happy. lol

If they won't howl with harmonica with you or with youtube videos of wolf howling or dog howling the dog might not be a howling type of dog..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • pdleepdlee
    I'm not sure...but my Shiba will occasionally howl when my alarm goes off. I'm sure it would be easier to teach if they howled often and it could be paired with a word, however its pretty rare when she does it; maybe someone will pop in and give you a better answer.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Teach the dog to speak, and then chain it
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    My boy got into a howling contest with a Coyote. Be careful what you wish for.
    犬竜
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    My first thought was, "Why in the world would you want to do that?"

Our Golden didn't get the memo that Goldens don't howl and he does it at night, after we go to bed and the household gets quiet. As best as we can tell, it's Laddie's way of doing, "Good night, John Boy." Back when we had four dogs, it could get rather loud. The Shiba never did quite get the hang of it and usually made a very strange, strangled sound.

• ljowen123ljowen123
    Jazz grumbles whenever I ask her how her day was, but I don't want her to howl. If your dog is predisposed to howl, bark or yodel, it would be easier to train.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • @bigunclenasty - just to be clear, the suggestion from @lindsayt is not literal, it's training speak. She means break down the behavior into steps and start by teaching your dog how to speak.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    A.K.A. "Behavioral Chain" where the target behavior is elicited and reinforced first. Then new behaviors are added before the target behavior is rewarded.
    犬竜
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    I could see this ending badly...
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts howled in my yard once when he seen another dog across the street. But usually he yells at other dogs. or he barks when he wants to come in
  • Lradd58Lradd58
    Both of my Shibas howl.
  • One of my Shibas howls and not the other. Neither sound anything like wolves. A bit like coyotes, but not wolves. I guess you could teach it. But why?
  • LosechLosech
    I much prefer howling to barking/baying. If any of you figure it out, let me know.
  • BootzBootz
    I would assume teaching a dog to howl on command would have similar results to teaching your dog to bark on command...

Bootz is a typical quiet Shiba, however I have heard her howl once. But that was because her little sister Jackie was howling (phone was ringing, she howls with the tune).
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    No, I ment beat the dog with a chain until it howls. Seriously though, its easier if the dog is vocal to begin with.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    WendyNC said:

My first thought was, "Why in the world would you want to do that?"

Our Golden didn't get the memo that Goldens don't howl and he does it at night, after we go to bed and the household gets quiet. As best as we can tell, it's Laddie's way of doing, "Good night, John Boy." Back when we had four dogs, it could get rather loud. The Shiba [former one] never did quite get the hang of it and usually made a very strange, strangled sound.

And several months later, Keiko has just about mastered the howling thing. Night before last, she did her first true howl. This is actually an improvement. A couple of months ago when she first started trying, the noises she made sounded like the winged monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.
    Post edited by WendyNC at 2013-01-12 13:39:54
  • I will just say this, careful what you wish for...
  • GemmaGemma
    I don't see any problem with training a dog to make a noise on command :)

Laika will bark on command, but I'd recommend teaching a "shh" command aswell.

It doesn't encourage any more barking, and she's still a quiet dog, but I'm not sure what teaching a shiba would do, but as I say I'd strongly recommend teaching the "shh" command too :)
  • RAM25RAM25
    Shinobi hasn't even come close to howling yet. The only time she barks is if she's excited when playing, and it's not really a bark, more like this funny gruff grumbly noise. If we pick her up when she's not in the mood she makes a noise like a little gremlin and she does do the shiba scream, but it's less high pitched and more gruff sounding than usual. I do know where you're coming from, I love it when they put their heads back and howl like wolves! Alhtough, in an apartment, probably a blessing that she hasn't got a hang of this one yet!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Yep but not a full sized wolf, at least as far as Tatonka's howl goes. He sounds like a baby ambulance.
    Monkey!
  • I taught sesame to bark on command and howl.

I used a piece of cheese or hot dog, lactose free and sulfate free. Barked, than ate it in front of her. It took a week of that 5 minits a day before she got the idea to make noise. Than we refined it to 'speak' when she started doing it. I thought it was so cute... Fml. Now she does it All the time!

If she wants to be scratched (and she always wants to be scratched 24/7) she sits, if you dont notice her she howls, squeaks barks to get your attention.

Its easy to teach hard to control.
    Shiba Inu:
    doin' their own thing since 300 BC.

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Jerrricadotcom, I guess trying to bark/howl for attention is better than the open mouth on the back of your leg right behind your knee while walking method that Bear uses when he is excited and wants you to know it LOL
  • Same thing with hi five. She hi fives you to death!

But I love it (secretly) she never barks at guests just squeaks or whines, she barks and howls now whenever shes excited or impatient. Or wants something. But shes only shiba screamed at me twice in almost 2 years, because i pay no attention to the shiba scream and she gives up on it, in favor of yodeling.
    Shiba Inu:

With a black button nose, little pricked ears and a curly tail, the Shiba enters the world knowing he is a superior being
  • @redcattoo I literally laughed so loud sesame was startled. She does that to me too if i dont say hi and scratch her as soon as i come home. Like ya know if im trying to hang up my coat first or have to use the bathroom, or my hands are full with grocery bags, she chases me and nips my pants at the calf. (Im 6 feet tall, and shes small for a girl) and than lets out a disgruntled yelp.
    Shiba Inu:

• redcattooredcattoo
    @Jerricadotcom ... I am 5'4" and Bear stands about 17-18" at the whither which puts him exactly able to mouth me right behind my knee. I am sure it is a very funny scene at my house when Bear is determined to get my attention and it ends up with me trying to ignore that behavior so I end up walking around stumbling every step trying to accomplish what I need to do first and trying to make him think he isn't accomplishing his goal.

I love though that he wants my attention, so I always give in eventually, I just try to make sure he doesn't think he is getting my attention due to the fact I noticed him because he mouthed my leg.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-01-22 12:25:47
  • Aww so cute though. Its hard not to reward for bad behavior when theyre so darn cute! If ses is feeling talkitave she is noisy for HOURS nonstop, like shes talking to herself in different voices, even during playtime. Its hilarious! I have a shiba with multiple personalities.
    Shiba Inu:

• micomico
    Suki howls at the window cleaner when he does the house across the road but we don't know why because we live in a corner house and she sits on the windowsill watching people walk/drive by all day without making a sound.

She loves coffee and I've taught her to say I love you (a wu wooo) before I give her the last bit - don't worry its decaf and I'm only allowed 1 cup per day so she probably only gets 1/2 an inch - she won't say it any other time
  • SayaSaya
    I saw this and thought of this thread..

Then there is this video shiba demanding for something.. O_O

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-02-08 17:04:45
  • amtiamti
    I like the sound of howling dogs. When I had a Samoyed, she would howl on the back deck whenever she heard coyotes and sirens go by. My husband and I thought it was cute and a natural cry for her.
  • NaviNavi
    I love that howling video!!!

I just played it for Navi and she liked it... She's done a kind of howling bark before (only when shes REALLY excited) but nothing like that!! I think its beautiful and would like to see her do it, but I don't think my neighbors would agree!!!

I turned the second clip off real quick, didn't want her to get any funny ideas LOL
    facebook: navi.baum
    instagram: navibaby512
  • Great ses heard 10 seconds of the second oone, now shes doing her own beg baying.....
    Shiba Inu:

• Kobe was laying down playing with his toy and he did this crazy howl it was identical to a wolf I've heard dogs howl before but never that similar to a wolf haha
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Tang does this. It started a few weeks ago when I howled at him and he howled back. Now he does it if you howl at him, you play a video of a wolf howling, he hears a ambulance or as I learned last night, while Game of Thrones is on. haha Maybe he is a fan?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Tang the mighty Dire Wolf! :))
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I wouldn't want Otto to howl all the time but I have to admit it's funny when he does. The one thing that triggers it are ambulances :) He is still unsure of his howling though, which makes it even funnier.

GoT fan lol! I wish Otto would watch with us.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake does a combination howl/bark when he says a favorite friend-be they a human friend or a furry friend. It's how he shows that he is happy to see a favorite friend. His human friends love his greeting and they each say they feel really special when he does this. I think it's adorable!
  • koyukikoyuki
    I would not want to teach any extra vocalisations - especially with my guys. Kenji and Suma have about 3 different howls each, for different situations. Koyuki and a Takeo only howl when a) the husky mix behind us is howling because his owners are leaving him for days on end again, or b) when we are coming back home after being away for a couple of days- as soon as they hear the car come down the street they lose their furry little minds and you can hear them both howling/screaming/ yodelling .

But without reading the entire thread my thoughts are why on earth would you want to teach your dog to howl 'like a wolf'!!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)