For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shampoo's and Conditioner's for your Shiba
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    So I have yet to give Bane a bath. I keep reading mixed opinions about bathing them. Some say only when they are blowing their coat, others say never, others say once every 3 months, so on and so forth. What has been everybody experience with the baths? I don't want to bathe him too much and strip away any oils but i'm not sure what the best way to go about bath time is? How many times to you guys bathe your Shibas? Also, any good suggestions for kind of shampoo and conditioner?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-08-15 21:12:49
  • SayaSaya
    I use earthbath shampoo and conditioner I've used mangotango and now using eucalyptus and peppermint kind I like both, but leaning towards the eucalyptus and peppermint.

I bath her when she is blowing her coat a lot helps loosen the fur.

I also bath her if she gets dirty or if she needs it.

I probably bath her three or four times a year.. You can bath often it's good when they're pups so they learn that baths aren't scary..

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • rubyruby
    Used the advanced search on the top as there is a lot on this topic. It seems there is a lot of varying opinions. In my personal experience I use a fragrance free dog shampoo such as Earth Bath. My favorite is Pooch Botanique. I probably am out of the norm and bathe more often than absolutely necessary and have always. My pup gets nasty dirty and wild and we live in a very busy downtown area. She loves to roll in mud, trash, etc. The upside is that since I've done it since she was a pup she is used to it and loves it. It hasn't dried her out any and she looks and smells great.
  • Keep in mind that the more you bathe them more the stink! Its odd but true.
    Shibas dont have a doggie odor. And the tend to be very fastidious.
    I bathe my Shiba with only warm water everything she goes swimming(which is maybe 5 times a year) Just because i dont like her having that water dry on her.
    But an actual bath with shampoo she gets only once a year. We use furminator deshedding shampoo and oatmeal supplement for the skin...

Everyone does have their own opinion on how many baths. But 80% of Shiba owners will say less then 3 a year is sufficent.

Photobucket
    photo imagejpg1-3.jpg
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I like clean dogs, and bathing however often with soap is totally fine. They won't drop dead and it won't "ruin" their "oils" IF you are sensible about it. The combination of hot water and strong soaps will be hard on their skin, and dry them out, however, so warm water and something mild is best for those who are bathing more frequently. A good degreasing shampoo 3-4 times a year with heavy shedding is perfectly fine.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-08-15 19:40:34
  • LosechLosech
    I bathe my dogs a couple times a year, or whenever they get into something stinky. A bath in my house uses a mild shampoo (I steal my brother's kids shampoo most of the time) or some soap, depending on what I've got on hand, if the dogs stink. If they don't, I will rinse them in vinegar or a vinegar/shampoo combo.
    I rinse the dogs with just water quite frequently. I do that about every other month or so and rub them down real good to get any loose hair and dirt out of the coat.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Earthbath clear about every 3 months.
    犬竜
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I'm a bathing freak. I bathe Foxy once a week and it's usually after we go on a hike or the beach or dog park....

I use, http://www.aromapaws.com/shampoo.htm

Foxy's fur is very soft and I haven't noticed any problems with her coat being dry. She had a lot of problems with her skin & fur as a pup but you'd never know it now and I get compliments on her fur all the time now.
    Photobucket
  • I can't even remember the last time I gave mine a bath. He's so odor free he doesn't need it. I never bathed him a lot when he was showing, but I did use coat conditioner, coat fluffers, and maybe some dry shampoo if he had any spots. Pretty much what I still do today. I love how easy this breed is maintenance wise. I had Schnauzers growing up. What a difference.

When I do give baths, I use Plush Puppy and Isle of Dog products.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    "no foreign substances"

For show, the dogs should be presented clean and bathed, with no foreign substances, including water. I don't believe in presenting a dog that isn't clean, and I have also heard of judges dismissing dogs with product and residues in their coats.
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    Thanks guys! I am going today to see if I can find a "mild" shampoo. Hope it goes well!
  • Most show Shibas today are clipped and covered in chalk. I never did it, but it is used openly by many people. I know one dog that was dyed red. There is just so much product used on dogs today that a judge would be hard pressed to find a natural dog. Mine was pretty close, but I still used coat conditioner.
  • Jackson rarely stinks. I only notice an odor after he's rolled in something foul or if he's spent a few days over at my mom's house rough housing with her Australian Cattle Dogs. When I do have to bathe him, I use Dawn dish soap original. The original blue Dawn doesn't strip the natural oils of poor birds and wildlife caught in oil spills, so my assumption is it shouldn't strip the oils of a dirty shiba either :) Dawn also kills fleas.
  • @orangedoggie - can you elaborate on what you mean by clipped and chalked? That's surprising though I only attend shows mostly in NJ and PA. I haven't seen any fake coloring, but I wouldn't know how to spot it.

@lindsayt - no foreign substances including water? That I have seen at shows (a quick spray and brush, usually 30-40 minutes before a show). A few of the breeders I've met say they like to bathe the pups before a show.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I bathe them the day before a show, sometimes 2-3 days before to let the coat settle for dogs like Farrah who carries a very thick coat. Otherwise she looks too poofy and it makes her look too thick around the middle (which she isn't, she is under 18 lbs). I do use a water spritz and brushup before going in the ring, but I need to do that especially if the dog has just been in the crate or leaning on bars. I will take my chances in meeting a judge who really has an issue with water. As long as the dog isn't sopping wet, I think it's ok. I also think it is ok to trim the underside of the foot pads for hygiene reasons and to help give the dog better grip when showing on slick surfaces, and it in no way alters the dogs appearance.
  • @Violet - I've seen clipped whiskers (hate, hate, hate that), clipped legs, shaped tails and various other little tricks to make a dog look shorter backed or leggier or basically just about anything that can trick the eye and hide an imperfection. I've seen dogs with too much brown coat dyed red and dogs that could leave a white chalk outline in the ring. LOL
    All breeds are guilty of this stuff. I saw a terrier that was chalked red - so much so that it came off on the judges hands. It won.
    The dog show ring is a harsh mistress. ;)
  • @orangedoggie - to me that is nuts! I've heard about it with some other breeds where they hire handlers and stuff but not really about shibas, at least in my neck of the woods. The shibas I've seen out here can really run the gamut. Though most of the ones that win look pretty nice to me.

I do realize there is a lot of politics though. It's always weird to bump into a breeder I don't know, or an officer, who start commenting/questioning my non-show girl because they're familiar with her lines. The oddest was when an officer started commenting on a judge's politics because they thought her littermate (showing that day) should have won winner's bitch.
  • It's very political sometimes and can be demoralizing at times. Of course, no one expects to win all the time, but when a judge is obviously biased it just feels like wasted effort and time. There are a few judges I learned to avoid because they were so political - as in as soon as the judge was named, I knew which dog would win. Blah.
    And then there are the people who are nice right up until you beat their dog. Wheeeeee! The claws come out and the figurative fur flies.
    I won my purple and gold rosettes, sat in the top 20 for about a week, and then retired my dog. We had our fun in the show ring.
    I'll probably forget all this by the time I get my next puppy and decide showing again would be a fine idea.
  • tatonkatatonka
    I just use water..
    Monkey!
  • DebDeb
    Orangedoggie is so right on each and every point made. People will stoop to many improper things to win and if you beat some of them, look out. It can be unbelievably cut throat. It's called politics just to use an acceptable word for it. I've seen a dog win many times that is dyed kool aid orange, so bad his urajiro is canary yellow. It's a bad hair job and really sticks out like a sore thumb, but, the dog wins often. He is a good looking dog and is well trained, but dog aggressive. That dog bit me in the calf trying to get at my puppy while waiting to go in the ring! Of course it didn't happen and no one saw it. I had a huge bruise on my calf for some time. That dog got best of breed that day. In fact it is handled by a well known professional and I think that's who grooms his dogs this way. There have been others he's handled with the same odd kool aid orange and canary yellow. It's not the right thing to do, but people do that and more without any negative effects or even acknowledgment of it. I've seen chalks, color sticks, hair dye, sprays, permanent markers, you name it all for trying to win with false color and created texture alone. Yes, on Shibas. And, it flys with some judges, but some it doesn't. I like no trimming, unless it is the bottom of the pads for reasonable and healthy purposes. After all, nails are routinely trimmed for the same reasons. Yes, a dog should be clean for showing. The rules do state very plainly that they are to be in a natural state. Many aren't. And, you should know that showing is a day by day crap shoot with many variables. No dog will always win. Do it for fun.

The original question was regarding bathing and what kind of shampoo. I like EZ groom products, there are several kinds of shampoos. As far as frequency? When they are dirty.
    Post edited by Deb at 2012-08-25 15:16:32
  • I live in the southeastern part of Alabama, so I've been bathing Marou every other month. Its rained quite a bit and has been humid, which makes for a stinky dog. I rotate between Kong Maximum (Revitalizing, I think. Which ever the tea tree one is.) because its soap and paraben free. I absolutely love using Cain & Able peppermint oil shampoo. It has soft soaps, coconut oil, peppermint oil, and citronella. This shampoo leaves Marou smelling amazing for daysssss! Also, it has hydrated his skin and has kept him from scratching due to dry skin.
  • SayaSaya
    "odd kool aid orange and canary yellow."

Umm this is pretty disgusting. I mean if this is going on it needs to stop. I thought the use of chalks or dyes were not allowed or is that only not allowed in Japanese shows?

I thought I read it was disqualified if the dog was found to be messed with like that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but judges need to check to see if the dog was messed with in order to win and stuff..

I went to groomer to buy honest kitchen for Saya for snacks and man came out with two shaved huskies.. :\ The huskies were pets of coarse.

Saya never gotten shaved she seems to handle the heat she uses her head if she is hot she lays in the shade of trees or walks to the house and demands me to bring her inside where it's cool.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-08-25 22:31:25
  • DebDeb
    Ok, here's what a friend of mine had go on at a show. She went to steward at another club's show and I don't remember the breed this incident happened with, but it doesn't really matter. The breed was a lot of black dogs, collies or shelties, something like that. Anyway, the judge's hands were black with chalk and she needed something to clean her hands up with. My friend asked why these color enhanced dogs weren't sent out of the ring. The judge reportedly said there wouldn't be any dogs left to show if she did that. Color enhancement is prevalent at shows. In our breed, not everyone does it as we seem to have more respect for the natural requirements as well as the soboku aspects of our dogs. Soboku is sincere, genuine and uncomplicated. Still you will see some dogs that have been colored or texture enhanced and even carefully trimmed. At a handler class, the instructor told me to chalk my black and tan's cheeks to make her have a wider face. I told him I would never do that. He poo pooed me, said I wasn't serious. He had a real rant right there in front of the entire class. I never went back to that class.
  • I never knew much about how to bathe a Shiba properly BUT I am obsessed with my own natural hair care. So I just treat his coat like my own hair. I hardly mess with it, and when I do I only wash him with cone free conditioners (no shampoo). Sometimes I will spray him down with an Apple.cider.vinegar and water mix as a leave in. I do this once a month.
  • I don't bath Kodi unless he's visibly dirty or smells. I do use a flea shampoo on him most of the time! I usually say if his neck fur isn't white then its time for a bath! I wash him outside if its hot or warm out, if its too cold then he's in the tub. He likes his bath out doors, due to the fact that I'm using a hose, because when he gets a bath inside I have to use a cup to rinse him down.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Hmm mine has a slight odor. She started having this distinct smell when she turned 4 months and she doesn't have any skin irritation or dandruff unless I don't know about it but even the veterinarian examined her and said she was fine. We feed her fish oil as well so her coat is shiny lol she has a smell though it's not bad or good...it's just a doggy smell. She plays outside ALOT and rolls around in the grass and such and when she does I always wipe her body and paws with baby wipes.

We bathe her once every two or three weeks because she recently got diagnosed with giardia (neighbors who don't pick up after their dogs ugh!) and she is taking medication to treat it.

My main question is about her shampoo. I am currently using chi moisturizing shampoo. I've been wanting to change it over to an oatmeal shampoo but we have so much of the chi leftover we want to finish at least half the tube before changing it. I'm wondering has anyone used this shampoo before? I don't want to believe it's the shampoo making her smell but I can't find any other reason for it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)