For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba with a bike
  • lucylulucylu
    So today instead of a boring old walk I decided to walk Lucy with a bicycle. I was a little worried because on walks she's all over the place and stops suddenly to scratch or sniff something which would be really hard if I was on a bike. I gave it a try anyways and it was a tremendous success. She SPRINTED almost the entire time. I've never seen her run so fast for so long. I'm sure it wouldn't be a great idea to do it all the time, but she seemed to have fun today. According to the bike speedometer we reached a top speed of 17 mph. Anyone else have success with their shiba and a bike?
  • Some of the other bike riders in the forum can jump in here, but I think you were probably pushing it speed wise with Lucy. (One of my concerns would be -- is the dog in condition to do these sprints????)
    Post edited by sukoshi’s mom at 2012-08-11 22:58:59
  • GatsuGatsu
    That's great, I should try that with Guts. But I wouldn't do it too much, since Guts is so skinny I wouldn't want to make him all bone!
  • JuniJuni
    I bike a lot with Juni. She loves running with the bike. I only started when she was over a year old so she was fully grown and short distances in the beginning. The dog should be at a trotting pace to prevent injuries, I read, so that is a lot less than 17mph. I let her sprint full blast short distances sometimes but I make sure she's warmed up first. Juni prefers to run ahead of the bike but I only do that when there's not many other people or bikes around and I have to keep my eye on her all the time and be prepared to brake immediately if she stops or do some sudden movement . I also have an attachement so she can run at the side of the bike.
    I have a basket too on the back of the bike that she sits in and that is how we travel daily to doggy day care.
  • phipsphips
    what type of bikes are you guys using? fixed gears, cruisers, bmx, mountain, multi-speed, etc.?.....

this is a good thread for shiba biking too:
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • sunyatasunyata
    Since there is already a bicycle thread, I am going to go ahead and close this one with the reminder to please use the advanced search function at the top of the forum to search for similar topics before starting a new thread.

If anyone wants to continue this conversation, please do so in this thread:

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)