For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Interacting with Other Dogs
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 09:31:23
  • jjlcjjlc
    I would recommend a harness that connects at the chest. That way when they pull they are just turning themselves towards you. All you have to do is stand there and not give in to their pull.

You should be able to tell if this is aggression or excitement. If it's excitement just manage it and don't let it get out of hand. Maybe tell any dog owners that you run into that he gets excited and if they don't mind, which most should not, just see what happens. Dogs tend to know how to deal with dog business better than we do! If it's aggression, then you've got work to do, but honestly, that should be your mentality anyway. If things that work with no distractions don't work when there are distractions then you have more training work to do.
    Post edited by jjlc at 2012-08-07 12:53:50
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    Thanks again. We do have a harness which we use, but he pulls so hard that you an hear him breathing hard. I've purchased the Easy Walk harness to use, but it was a size too big, I've gotten a size smaller, so I'm waiting for that one to show up. I'm hoping that will work.

I wouldn't mind bringing him to areas to meet other dogs, but some of the owners aren't as forgiving and doesn't understand the breed. In fact, many of them actually have their dogs off leash in a public park, so that makes me even more reluctant. I've already noticed that they haven't beem able to control their dogs in some instances and rather have a controlled environment.

I don't have much history on him, other than his prior owner gave him up because he couldn't take care of him. Other than that, I know he was with another dog in the shelter when he was given up and he was fine then. I'll try again when I see another dog owner with a dog his size. :) I'm not giving up!
  • JuniJuni
    Sign up for some training classes. It could be just his age, a young maybe a bit insecure male who is reactive. I would increase the distance to other dogs in the meantime to the point where he can see a dog without reacting. There you can reward him for spotting a dog and staying calm. I'm sure you'll find friends for him to play with but he might find it stressful to meet a lot of unknown dogs.
  • jjlcjjlc
    @kyriannm
    The easywalk should help, but the breathing/heaving could very well be excitement. Before we got the easywalk we were using a back attached harness and Miko would do the same thing. I thought she was managing to choke herself even with a harness, but it was just excitement because it still happens with the easywalk and it's definitely not restricting her breathing in any way.

I wouldn't over-analyze it to be honest. What you've described sounds no different than what we experienced with Miko in her first run-ins with other dogs. Just walk him around and let other dogs come up to him and see how it goes. At a dog park it's unlikely that a dog that's already playing with other dogs is just going to snap and go crazy on your shiba and if your shiba is on the leash then you can pretty quickly control it if needed. Most dogs know how to handle themselves around other dogs and if someone is at a dog park, they should expect dogs to be acting like dogs and running, playing, jumping, nipping and wrestling is what dogs do. Too many people here over-analyze dogs like they're humans.

oh and I'd agree with Juni, get in some classes. If nothing else it'll give you more controlled interaction with other dogs and you can never have enough training.
  • JuniJuni
    If you don't feel that you know your dog and his reactions yet I think you're right in only meeting dogs in a controlled environment. I would not trust other dogs to be tolerant to his behaviour or that they can sort it out themselves. You just don't know. The wrong combination of dogs and it can turn serious very quickly. It's better that he gets only positive experiences with other dogs now. I think it can help you bond too if he feels that you can take care of these situations so he doesn't feel the need to be reactive.
    I'm sorry I don't have any good ideas regarding walking nice on leash.
  • DebDeb
    For learning to walk nice on a leash, the best way I've found is to teach a dog to pay attention to me with a load of treats and first have the dog walk around the house with me with no leash, keeping their attention and treating when they're watching/looking at me. Then progress to attaching a leash and not holding it and doing the same indoors. Then try with the leash in your hand. Then try outside with treats and the leash. I typically do this in short little sessions to keep from boredom with the game. Classes help enrich socialization. Please don't use a choker of any kind. For the issue with meeting other dogs, a behaviorist would help. Other than that, Turid Ruugas has some very interesting video and books. Part of one of the videos shows how to pass other dogs when meeting on a trail. This is done with a curve to your path, not looking at the other dog, not stopping. As the dog gets better about this, the curve lessens and you stay between the oncomming dog and your dog. Seeing this is helpful rather than just reading. Turid recommends only harnesses. Martingale collars are good if you think the dog might try to slip his collar. I shy away from anything that causes pain or discomfort for my dogs. Each dog is different and building a bond of trust is important for success.
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    Thanks all. We got the Easy Walk which hubby loves. I still prefer the harness, but he won't pull with me like he does with hubby. Only thing I have with him is he isn't treat motivated, so have to think of another way. I am looking into training classes!
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    You can try using toys as a motivator or try something like cheese or pieces of hot dog. Even pieces of chicken or turkey work, it just depends on what the dog likes.
  • JuniJuni
    Try take him out when he hasn't eaten in a while and is more hungry. Or try better treats. Grilled chicken, sausages, tuna fish, meat balls, cheese...just give tiny tiny bits so he doesn't get full. For dogs that are not that interested in toys either, try something made of real fur. I tied a string to an old sheep skin mitten and oh my it brought out the hunter instincts in Juni ... We also have rabbit fur toys and that fur is a bit more durable. But these are special toys that she's not allowed to play with on her own.
  • janjan
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    So I've figured out a way to divert his energy and attention. The minute he starts getting excited, we begin running. He forgets and concentrates on running. I've tried treats and toys, but when he gets excited, nothing works, and running seems to be the only thing that works. Once he wears down, he's more controllable. For once today, he saw a dog and just ignored the other dog. I'll put it to the test when I get the chance, but wearing him down seems to help. Great exercise for me too!!
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Until he learns his manners, wouldn't put him in a situation where things can go wrong (parks with other off leash dogs...that you can not control)

and do "meet and greet" drills...approach another dog slowly, and when he acts like a little spaz, make an about turn and go the other way...no manners, no greeting...(or can just "be a tree" and dont' let them meet...

Also if you decide to let him say hi, have a loose leash...never let dogs touch noses or get close with tight leash, creates tension between the dogs that can go bad,..either let them meet freely or not at all..

Classes..He need doggies socialization...Dogs will grow out of that spastic "I want to meet every other dog I see!!!" it's up to you if he grows up sociable or unsociable....he's being normal friendly puppy it sounds like...

PS..exercise is good, but only goes so far, they still have to learn and practice their manners...or just have on leash all the time and don't go around off leash dogs...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)