For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The Shibas corned an opossum in the yard today.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Gidget barked at it like crazy, while Guts did the shiba 500 around the yard. These dogs suck at killing prey. In either case, I yelled at them to get into the house and leave the poor animal alone.

Gidget has been dying to get at one of the Opossum's. She barks in the middle of the night whenever she hears one outside. But they never entered out yard before, usually they stay away. But now one of them is nesting in our garage. I'll call pest control tomorrow to get it. Hopefully they can help get rid of the rest of them in the neighborhood.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Probably a good thing they didn't get too close. Possums can be nasty and can hurt dogs.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Well Gidget got in its face and started to bark. The Opossum just kind of stood there, at this point I was yelling at the dogs and going towards Gidget to grab her dumb butt. Guts ran inside as soon as I told him. Gidget ran inside when I got close and she knew I was gonna grab her. But luckily this was a small opossum, some of the opossum's in this neighborhood are huge and look to be bigger than my shibas. So I'm defiantly worried my dumb shibas are gonna pick a fight and get themselves beat up.
  • LosechLosech
    My dogs found an opossum once. It was a little thing, on the other side of the fence so they couldn't get it. A good thing too, since it was wounded and did not look too healthy. I know the dogs did not do that to it, is looked like it'd had the wound a while. I didn't know if it was sick (distemper, rabies, etc.) so I kept them away from it.
    We generally do not get opossums, especially in the middle of the day, so it was surprising when I discovered what the source of their hysteria was. Normally it's a cat, raccoon, or squirrel. The coons here are large since there is a lot fo easy food, so I generally will keep the dogs inside when I spot one in the yard since they can easily deal out a lot of damage. Plus coons are the vectors for rabies and distemper here, and I'd rather not risk it.
    If it weren't for that, I honestly would not care if they found something in the yard and would let them chase it off (if they haven't already). But unfortunately, distemper is a big risk here and it's not terribly uncommon that dogs get it from a fight with a raccoon.
  • GatsuGatsu
    Well We had an opossum wander into our back hall this time. Guts kept lunging at it, playfully.... And Gidget was just trying to boss it around again with her barking. Once again Guts was a good boy and came inside when I told him too. I had to drag Gidget inside though lol.

Photobucket
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-09-01 00:05:05
  • @Gatsu Lol! Yeah, my 2 found a young possum in our yard a few weeks back. Young and dumb. Hime had it and was tossing it around, Saru was just waiting for his turn. I never got to witness it as I was preparing for bed, my husband was the one who had the fun time of trying to get Hime in the the house, as Saru (like Guts) was a good boy and went straight to the back door. Apparently Hime kept circling Jimmy (my hubby) to get at the possum, who was at least smart enough to play dead in the yard. I eventually came to the back to see what was taking so long and called Hime in, and the possum was never seen again. :D Shibas are so silly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)