For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Well today was not th best day of my life....
  • Dee1996Dee1996
    Well I was at my friends's house petting the family dog, an Akita over 100 pounds....I was being cautious, and next thing I know her head snaps back and there is blood pouring out of my lips. I immediately got a towel to wipe it down and ice to soothe it. The dog took a nice chunk of my bottom left lip. This was at 7 am today and I had to wait until 2 pm just to get my stitches finally done. Wound is all cleaned up but really hurts. In the end I'll probably never touch another Akita Inu in my life. Really had showed me how nice my shiba really is with his playful puppy bites.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Not to belittle your injury, but this post is a bit ridiculous. Every Akita I have met has been extremely friendly and gentle. Does this speak for all Akitas? Obviously not, but that does not mean I am automatically going to assume they are all friendly.

Rash judgements like these are why certain breeds, or things in general, have poor reputations...
  • btksbtks
    I'm the same way around Akitas /- I've met more that are aggressive to children then friendly ones.

Nevertheless, there are some Akitas who are wonderful angels, so I wouldn't be to harsh on the breed. My mom has a pit bull and visitors are always alert and timid around the dog -- her pit bull wouldn't hurt a fly! In fact, she is scared of my moms cats (seriously). It's not necessarily the breed, but the upbringing of the dog. Still, some dogs are born aggressive and theirs not much you can do -- the same is with humans. Sure, there are a lot of bad people out there, but that doesn't mean I'm bad or your bad. It's just how life works.
    Post edited by btks at 2012-07-25 23:20:44
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Agree with above. I'm always shocked when people are surprised at how friendly my shiba is. I have seen some very aggressive ones and know why they say that but at first I couldn't believe it. Dogs are like anyone else, different personalities and you can lump them into one category as all bad. We have a neighbor with a pit bull and that is the first dog my shiba always runs up to to give it kisses and that dog is so docile and sweet. Never ever does anything but try to play.

I am sorry that you went through what you did today though. I got bit by a dog once when I was younger and was terrified of them for a long time. Eventually got over my fear but it wasn't easy. I hope that you heal quickly without too much scarring.
    Photobucket
  • RyanRyan
    American Akita or Akita Inu?
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I'm sorry this happened to you--it's pretty awful. I hope you're ok.

But please don't blame an entire breed for what one dog did. Akitas are like any breed--some are friendly and some are not. This is one dog. And NO dog is good around kids unless they've been taught to be (that's in response to btks).

And I wouldn't compare Shibas to Akitas in that way. I have both breeds and they both have good and bad qualities, but more it is the individual dog. Honestly, I find Akitas much easier, in general, than Shibas, despite their large size. Still it is less about breed and more about individual dogs.

@Ryan....probably an American Akita given the size.
  • RikkaRikka
    I'm really confused about this post. Is this more of a complaint? Or to show how "superior" your Shiba is? It's unfortunate that you were bit, but this reminds me of the hatred Pitbulls receive--in no way do Akita's deserve the same, or any breed for that matter.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Dee1996, sorry it happened to you. I hope you get the cut looked at and that there's no permanent damage.

What you're saying about Akita Inu is anecdotal, though... not really a basis for commenting on a whole breed.
    Monkey!
  • TriggerTrigger
    @Dee1996, Sorry to hear your story and I hope you re ok.
    I have never meet an American Akita (or even JA in the country) but I have meet a bunch of JA in France (we don't have any AA as you can imagine :) ) and they were so sweet and gentle I was a bit amazed about that because Shiba Inu that I've met were so primitive, feisty, unfriendly and way too proud of themselves lol. I agree with others, please don't blame the breed... owners can make mistakes with the dog education or sometime we can make mistakes when we are approaching another dog (even if we already know this dog) you see?
    I can do anything I want to my dog poke him when he is playing eating sniffing around, I can show him my tongue he will just try to gently catch it to lick it (ewww lol I don't let him do it but I tested him), I can take away his food (I always give it back of course but I know he trust me), I can pull his ears he will just walk away and I can bit him (I know it sounds stupid but a child in my family does that once... bit a dog and the dog was used to be gently bit by his owner so he didn't do nothing except whine a bit and lick the ALL face of the child). But even if I can do all those things, I won't let anyone do it esp. a "stranger" even my husband doesn't do 1/2 of what I do to Trigger.
    If Trigger meet someone and don't want to be pet, he'll just ignore or walk away but if the person doesn't understand the signal (and I don't see it) he will start to put his teeth on the hand of this person (no blood at all just touch the hand with his teeth). To me, it's not really the dog's fault... If the dog is aggressive he doesn't have to be put with stranger without close supervision and if he is not... So it had to have something wrong in the environment at this time or with you (I really don't wanna be rude or what it's just a thought).
    Anyway, I hope your lip will be fine soon and you won't have scar.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Dee1996 - First off, 'an Akita over 100 pounds' is not an Akita Inu, but an American Akita. There IS a difference.

Secondly, I REALLY hope that your post is coming off wrong and that you are not breed bashing.

Third, I am going to assume that since you were being 'cautious' that you were unfamiliar with this dog. So WHY was your face so close to its teeth? I guarantee that there were signs that this dog was uncomfortable that you either ignored or were not savvy enough to see.

So while it sucks that you were bitten, please do not blame the dog OR the dog's breed. This was clearly a case of miscommunication between the dog, yourself, and the dog's owner.

ETA - About your Shiba... If those 'playful puppy bites' are not watched, they can EASILY turn into 'I need stitches bites' as your Shiba grows up. So again, do not blame the breed...
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-07-26 09:07:13
  • AnnaAnna
    @Sunyata @Dee1996 "Playful puppy bites" can almost turn into "I need stitches bites" even before a shiba grows up.

One of Hammond's puppy bites (he was around 12-16 weeks old and resource guarding my friend's dog food bin) punctured the fleshy part of the thumb area on my palm and hurt like a bitch for weeks. It took forever to completely heal.

He's almost a year now, full grown but still a pup, and when he gets overexcited and mouthy can do some damage. I've still got a fat lip from where he excited jumped up to mouth/lick my face just as I leaned down to put shoes on, and one of his canines pierced my lip (not like all the way through my lip, but it pinched a section on the inside of my top lip and pierced through through with the help of hitting my own front tooth). Not bad enough to need to go to a doctor, but it was bleeding and swelled up real bad and had two little holes visible.

Also somewhat of a tangent, but relevant: I've got scars all over my hands and arms from cat bites and scratches. From my own cats, from family members' cats, from stray cats. But I know not to swear off approaching any cat just because I've encountered a few cranky individuals or not obeyed warnings familiar cats have given me. Not even sworn off specific types of cats (like tortoise-shell, which do seem more often than not to be rather cranky) because I know it's based more on how the cat has been treated rather than the breed itself.
  • kayla4554kayla4554
    I don't think @Dee1996 was purposely bashing the entire Akita breed people! A lot of people get nervous around bigger dogs if they aren't used to having them around. If a creation breed did that to me I would subconsciously be nervous around them based off of memories of my past experience.

Anyways, I'm sorry that this happened to you! The same-type situation happened to my mom, her teeth were affected also and she had to get braces for around a year.

kayla and maya <3
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @Dee1996, FWIW, I did not read your post as breed bashing, but an off-the-cuff comment that stemmed from a truly frightening experience. It sounds like the injury was quite severe (stitches! yikes!) and like other traumatic experiences, it will take some time to overcome. My best to you as you heal...

May I ask about your friend's response? Had they known their dog to do anything like this before, were they confident in how well socialized she was around strangers, etc.? The human may be your friend, but the dog obviously had not yet learned to be comfortable around you. Dogs are not expected to automatically know proper social graces around people, especially strangers, if they had not had ample opportunity to learn them from the start.

Your incident and this discussion reminds me a lot of the incident in which the Denver news reporter was interviewing a a strange dog on the set for a story, and was bitten when she bent over to give him a kiss. A lot of the public response was extremely unkind, but the primary lesson that I learned is that canine body language literacy does NOT come naturally to humans, either. It was very likely that the Akita was giving you *and her owner* subtle signs that she was not comfortable with the situation before the bite occurred, but the cues were either ignored or misread. And unfortunately, this is all too common.

Please take some time to try and study up on canine body language, the signs of a nervous or stressed dog vs. a comfortable and relaxed dog, etc. This will not only help guide your encounters with any future dogs you meet, but obviously, as you work with your own growing pup and learn to speak his "language," as it were.

To get you started, here are a couple good ones that came out after the Denver dog bite incident which seem relevant to your situation:

Denver Dog Behaviorists, Clicker Logic

Dr. Sophia Yin

I personally find that actually *observing* lots and lots of dogs helps you learn more, but if you're prepped beforehand with some things to look for, you get a lot more mileage out of limited observation sessions. We have a collection of general resources on the forum here as well.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-07-26 17:36:56
  • konpeitokonpeito
    Like mentioned by others, I really hope you're not discriminating against the breed. Although they are pretty large and intimidating to look at, all the Akitas I've ever met in my life have been very sweet and gentle. Still, I am sorry that happened. Hope your lip heals soon.

I also agree with @curlytails about being more aware of canine body language and behavior. If you were close enough to the dog where your face was easily in reach of its mouth, you were probably too close. My dog has never bitten, or even attempted to bite, a stranger, but he will not allow anyone he doesn't know to get too close to him. So I know if someone got in his face he would not like it. I know that Akita was not yours, but having a dog in the first place should lead to you being more sensitive to dog behavior.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • RyanRyan
    @shibamistress I am aware, but the post states "Akita Inu", so I would like to ensure the OP is stating correct information.

@Anna My Shiba is mouthy, she is getting better(consistency!), but has had a soft mouth since before her adult teeth came through. I believe a dog can be gently mouthy yet never bite- Our 12.5 YO cocker is proof of that!
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • SayaSaya
    I agree with Curlytails This just recently happen and I'm sure it was scary and a big traumatic experience.

I've been attacked by an rabid cat when I was young I was walking home from the buss and the cat ran at me jumped on my arm and scratched and bitten into my arm very hard.

Luckily the cat was caught and it was found to have rabies.. :\

I'm sorry this happened to you hope you heal well.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Dee1996Dee1996
    Sorry for the confusion haha. Was not trying to bash the breed at all, slightly venting is all, as I had a long day then. I appreciate all dogs, have just never had an incident such as this and I will definitely be more cautious around a dog that is not my own. @curlytails, They were shocked as they had never seen her bite in the 9 years since they've had her. Thank you for the links provided I will look at those. All is well with the family that owns the dog. I'm sure I will be returning to the house eventually, will be an awkward encounter with Maysa haha.
  • jnckelsojnckelso
    sorry about your experience and hope the lip is doing better.. i also took it as you were picking on the akita as well.. and as a previous akita owner my first thought was to defend the breed as well... so glad you came back to post the last comment.. we had an akita for 14 years.. she finally past away this past march of old age.. we ended up getting a shiba inu in april since our home owners insurance had akita's on the NO DOG LIST for coverage.. we got grandfathered in with our policy with ours due to the fact that she was 12 years old at the time and had to prove her age and letter from the vet.. we thought shibas were a mini akita.. hard lesson learned... do more research.. but i must say our akita was the sweetest dog on earth and never ever bit or even jumped on anyone.. now our puppy shiba on the other hand .. well you all know.. trouble!!
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    Ouch! I am sorry that you got bit!

I have had bad experiences with Akita's unfortunately. :(

I've known 6 Akitas.

I lived next door to a male and a female, they were not good with children and were kept outside in a fenced in backyard. The male escaped numerous times and killed cats around the neighborhood as well as the cats that lived with them. The female ended up biting a child that the family was babysitting and she ended up being put to sleep.

My sister babysat for a family that had a male and a female Akita and they were also kept in the backyard because they were aggressive with children and people in general.

My ex boyfriend's best friend had a female Akita that lived inside but she killed 3 dogs and severly mangled a 4th.

My co worker used to have a female Akita and she was aggressive towards other animals so she was kept outside but also stayed in the garage.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • koyukikoyuki
    Sounds like the upbringing/environment/lack of training is what led all these Akitas to display this type of behaviour. Shame on the owners to have let that happen multiple times (with the dogs that killed other animals). Very sad.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • ddavidddavid
    That's a terrible experience. I hope your lip will heal properly. I would like to mention, that which you have experienced can happen with any dog, any breed. I've been around hundreds of dogs in my lifetime and learned to keep a peripheral vision on their tail. It just comes automatic with me. That is just my own opinion, and saved me from bites, and even aggressive dogs that snarled, scared the daylights out of me, on some mountain walks. The tail tells all.
    And speaking of Pit Bulls, I owned a Stratford Pit who was the gentlest dog I've ever owned. Gentler than my present Shiba with cats and curiosity. My Dalmatian bit my best friend, but I warned him minutes before he bit not to play with his ears. Some dogs can be the greatest friends but certain parts of his body is NO NO to all but the owner.
    Also allow a dog to come to you to pet, rather than you to him which reduces a dogs fear.
    Post edited by ethirtydavid at 2014-01-05 15:15:32
  • koyuki said:

Sounds like the upbringing/environment/lack of training is what led all these Akitas to display this type of behaviour. Shame on the owners to have let that happen multiple times (with the dogs that killed other animals). Very sad.

Exactly. Human failure and dog suffers. :(

Saw someone saying they'd hate to have to give up their Akita in adolescence, like so many people do, but..... (And of course the but meant they were thinking about it), and I thought yeah, the dog suffers because you can't handle the problems that crop up in any breed. Makes me sad for the dog and angry about a person who expects dogs to just naturally know things....

Akitas tend not to be terribly friendly by nature. you can work on that when they are young by doing a lot of socialization. But if you still end up with a dog that is not tolerant of strangers (our male is not), then you manage his behavior. You don't throw them out in the backyard. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)