For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Picky with Different People
  • pdleepdlee
    Hello all. I am having an issue with my Shiba and my parents: she doesn't like them. By that I mean she will bark and howl for hours on end if allowed. To my knowledge, they have never harmed her in any way. In fact, they have always given her a wide berth because they don't like dogs in the house because they think it's unsanitary so they don't touch her or acknowledge her presence except for a "oh you brought your dog home" and sometimes a "why are you barking at grandma?" when Pria has been barking for awhile. She's 14 months now but has reacted this way towards my parents since she was 6 months and I brought her home for Christmas. What do you guys think I should do? My parents already ignore her so it's not like they're In her face and making her uncomfortable. Usually if I have to bring her to my parents home I leave her in a room upstairs with toys so she's occupied and not barking her head off. Earlier today my dad tried to let her sniff him and she lunged at his hand, luckily there was no contact since I was sitting next to her and pulled her away (she is leashed at my parents but it trails behind her because I am afraid someone will open the door and she will bolt, she also has bad recall so I leave the leash on so I can always grab it if she won't come inside from the fenced in backyard). I don't know why she is reacting this way and I would appreciate any tips on how to teach to this behavior. I know keeping her away from my parents seems the obvious way to go but i would like to be proactive about this in case she reacts the same way to other people. Oh I should probably mention that she loves everyone and everything but my parents. I have a roommate and we always have new people in our apartment as well as different dogs and she's been to the dog park since she was vaccinated as a puppy so if there are other ways of socialization that I am missing, please let me know that too! And lastly, I apologize if I missed this topic elsewhere on the forum, I am on my iPod and the letters are small and I could have missed a link somewhere. Thanks!
  • DakotaRose42DakotaRose42
    I'm no expert, by any means, but as a layman I think your pup is sensing their "dislike" of her and reacting because of it. She is probably uncomfortable at your parents home because of this. Have you tried to have your parents do some tricks with her for treats, or another activity that both your parents and Pria can do with lots of nummy treats and praise? My suggestion would to try to improve the relationship between them. They don't have to be best friends, but if she was more comfortable around them, it sounds like everyone's life would be easier! Good Luck!
    ~Steph and Wade~ Proudly owned by: Shiba and Lyla
    http://luv4shiba.tumblr.com/
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    You think, maybe, that she just doesn't like the house? Does she act this way when your parents are at your place, or even if you all go out to the park?
    I had a Lhasa that hated being at a particular part of the park because of bad experience with other dogs. He would pull the opposite direction, or try to cross te street to avoid that one area.
    I also had an american Eskimo who hated teenagers who wore rollerblades, because his previous owner had ran over his tail with it at one point.
    Maybe she just feels tension in the house, knows she isn't wanted there for a long period of time? Oh here's another thought, does she do okay with other people who are older than you?

I suggest maybe going out for a walk, let your parents lead the way while pria and you trail behind them. Then play at the park and have your parents give her treats and praises. If she gets along with them outside, then it should be easier for them to get along indoors too.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-25 16:22:39
  • sunyatasunyata
    I am going to have to agree with @DakotaRose42 on this one. Shibas are pretty insightful animals and I am sure that Pria is sensing the fact that your parents are not cool with her being there. I know that if it were me, being somewhere that I am not wanted could be a pretty stressful experience.

So instead of just working with Pria, work with your parents, too. Find an activity (preferably outside at first if Pria is more comfortable with them outside) that they can do together. Make sure your parents are in the right frame of mind and can give Pria lots of yummy treats. Once everyone is comfortable with this, then you can work on this inside as well.

But this will only work if your parents will change their mindset about your dog. If not, then things will continue to be stressful for Pria.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Dogs know when people don't like them.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I'd suggest your parents are being very tolerant by even allowing her in the house if they dislike dogs. Sounds like a situation that suits neither party to me - your parents are uncomfortable having a dog in the house because they consider it unsantitary, and the dog is unhappy because it isn't welcome. I wouldn't force the issue. I'd leave the dog at home when you visit, or if you really have to take it, leave it outside at their house.
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    I'd suggest that there might be a third leg to this stool. This is a situation which is going to make you somewhat anxious and concerned and she's picking that up from you.

I'm sorry I don't have any solutions for you.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @kombinibento - Not sure about you, but I would NEVER leave my dogs outside unattended. So I doubt that would be a viable solution as I am sure that Pria would be just as uncomfortable being left outside by herself all day/night.

I think if the parents in this situation will not budge on their feelings towards Pria, a hotel would be a much better suggestion.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @sunyata
    Oh, I didn't say all day/night. I'm not sure where you got that from. But I'm perfectly comfortable leaving my dog outside at different times, because, well, she is a dog. She does dog things out there. She digs, she plays, she chases things, she rolls in the grass, she flicks toys around, she runs like mad, she sleeps, she chews bones, she has a great time. In fact, she prefers being outside for large portions of the day, even when we are at home. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to deny her that. In fact I would consider it cruel.
  • pdleepdlee
    Finally back to the world of internet! @kombinibento , Pria isn't much of an outside creature, I would love it if she was, but she gets too hot and jumps on my legs to take her back inside. She's definitely a spoiled indoors dog.

I've considered the thought that Pria is picking up on my parents' dislike of her and I think it can be a mix of that and that my parents don't really show affection so maybe Pria is a little confused as to why they aren't trying to play with her or puppy talk to her? Is that possible? Pria is used to people picking her up and goo goo ga'ing over her like she's a baby.

I tried walking her around with my dad outside in our fenced backyard with me holding the leash, but she still barks at him outside. My mom is not a animal person so she thinks I'm being silly.

@kumaDUDE , I've house sat for my parents before and she seems to have no problems with the house itself.

On a positive note, my brother came to visit while I was at my parents, and Pria initially started barking at him like she does my parents. Then...he sat down with a plate of pizza and the barking abruptly stopped. She still wouldn't let him touch her but she followed him around quietly until the pizza was gone so I'm thinking food is the way to go. I just hope this works because other then the fact that my dad doesn't like dogs being inside, he loves animals and is the reason why we had so many dogs growing up (all outside dogs of course). I can tell he's a little disappointed that Pria doesn't like him because our last dog died five years ago and he misses the companionship.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ah, well keep us posted on your quest to make the two parties like each other :)
  • konpeitokonpeito
    My shiba will bark at my parents when they don't give him food because he's so conditioned to them feeding him treats (he was SUCH a spoiled baby, still is lol). If they're just sitting around in the living room and he feels like he's not getting enough attention/food, he'll go downstairs and shout at them. He'll bark at me too, but not as often because he knows I won't give in as easily and he listens to me more in terms of discipline since I've always been the #1 person in charge of raising him.

Your reasoning with Pria being used to being doted on, which is lacking from your parents, sounds legitimate. And it does sound like she's food motivated. I know some members have suggested for people whose dogs are not too comfortable with certain people living in the house to have those people randomly drop treats around them. Even if your parents aren't big animal lovers, they can at least establish a neutral presence around Pria instead of a negative one.
    Apollo the Shiba Blog - red male - d.o.b. 10/30/11
  • pdleepdlee
    I actually suggested that my dad give her some food, he didn't want to get the carpet dirty...so he did it on the linoleum, baby steps!
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Bump for similar issue

So Tali this past month has gotten more selective with the people she allows to approach/pet her at work. She used to love everyone as a puppy, however now there's one person that used to visit her all the time and shower her love that she now huffs/puffs at. Everyone that visits gives her a small treat so she's never a bad experience with anyone. He absolutely adores her and really really likes her, but when he approaches, she'll huff and shy away until I tell her it's ok and he feeds her a treat. Even then she's a little reluctant to have him pet her and just gingerly sniffs him.

It makes me feel quite sad because I can see that he's somewhat hurt that she doesn't really like him anymore. She loves everyone else that comes visit, runs up to them, gives them tons of kisses, leaning up against them, all that cute stuff. Except for him.

Im suspecting it might be because he has these thick frame glasses and a hat sometimes, but then there are people that have those things too that she's been fine with. Maybe he smells bad?

/ponders
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I wish I could offer advice to you, but I have a reverse situation with Kira. She loves all people but not all dogs. Shibas are fickle creatures!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-05-14 18:02:57
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @Kira_Kira - WTB Kira clone. Would pay many many cookies.

Wish I could say Tali loved all dogs and people, but nope, classic fickle Shiba has to be a diva. Some dogs and humans are just not worthy enough for her.

The worst is with kids, she's absolutely terrified of them. Little people are just not her forte. We did our best to really try to socialize her with my boyfriend's nieces/nephews but she was dead set on running from them from the very beginning. It's the screaming and the running and the chasing. I wish I could just borrow a kid for 2 weeks to train her haha.

"Hey, can I borrow your kid for a couple weeks so I could use him as a guinea pig for my Shiba who's not kid friendly?"

• misterelwoodmisterelwood
    We were lucky the woman we got Nook from had gotten her from the pound when she was 3 months old for her 5 year old son. I told him she would always be his dog and to come visit anytime he wanted. He started bringing his friends over to visit and after they got to know us the would come to visit the dogs so she loves kids. It has worked out good for us cause when she escapes she will follow the kids back to our house. She likes people except when she's shedding cause no one can resist plucking a clump of fur. It's small dogs she hates.
    http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t423/misterelwood/shibamtn.jpg
  • RikkaRikka
    Kira_Kira said:

I wish I could offer advice to you, but I have a reverse situation with Kira. She loves all people but not all dogs. Shibas are fickle creatures!

Same with Sagan!
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Kira_Kira said:

@Kira_Kira and @Rikka-Quake is the same way. He likes about 99% of people but he does not like all dogs. The 1% of people he does like are usually strangers that are giving off weird vibes and he picks up on that right away. At that point he growls, snarls and barks in order to protect me from weirdos! :\">
  • AntoinetteAntoinette

@Nikkitine-Do you think the guy in question is sending out unusual energy as in anxious energy? Shibas are incredibly perceptive and maybe your little one is picking up on some nervous energy. Maybe he would be interested in playing some kind of game that she likes with her and that would make both of them relax.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)