For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Looking for a new home......
  • Okay I would normally not post here as this is a Shiba specific forum. However my parents are at their whits end and need all the help they can get. So here it goes:

My parents/family has been living with me and Jimmy for about 7 or 8 months now, and they have finally been blessed with a house that they are moving into over the next week or so. They have an American Bulldog, who they cannot take with them as their new landlord has a no pet policy. Jimmy and I cannot keep Spanky (Am. Bulldogs name), and we can't seem to find any rescues that can take him. Also the no-kill shelters in our area are currently full and not accepting new pets. I know there are a few members of this forum that have bullie breeds also, so if anyone can send me advice on where to look for rescues, in case we missed something, or if you can just help me get the word out for my parents I would really appreciate it. Here are the details on Spanky:

Sex: Male, neutered
    Weight: 96 lbs
    Temperment: Great with kids of all ages, good with some dogs. Has some dog greeting issues to over come. He just gets too excited sometimes, and that is bad for a dog his size. Overall he is a very lazy dog, who likes slow walks, car rides and sleeping on the couch or in bed.
    Spanky is crate trained too.

I know this is a long shot but my parents don't know where else to try. We live in the Greater Cincinnati Area, in South West Ohio.

Thanks for listening, and hearing me out.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Try asking the no-kill shelter to contact you if anyone is looking for an amer bulldog as a specific. Or ask if they could kindly place your dog as an available dog as well on ther site, and to contact you if any space becomes available.
  • sunyatasunyata
    I know that I have no idea what your parents' situation is, but can they just hold out until they find a rental that will allow them to take Spanky with them?

I know that I would NEVER move into a situation where I could not take my dogs with me. My dogs are family and not disposable.

Otherwise, you might try a breed specific rescue.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    That's what I thought too.
  • Unfortunately Jimmy and I are expecting our first baby come Nov. and and we have a 3 bed 2 bath house that has been housing 3 dogs, and 10 people. By the grace of God, we have managed to live peaceably with each other for almost 8 months now. However my parents know this is where they are supposed to move, and are trying everything to find a home that they could keep in contact with to take Spanky. We've had a few bites using the resources we have, but no fish.
    @kumaDUDE I will mention that to my parents, it's a really great idea.

I'm of the opinion of making sure you take your animals with you but sometimes things work out where it's just not possible in any way shape or form, and there have been many a tear shed over the situation by my Mom and sisters. Thanks again for any help and we will continue to search.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    First off, Congratulations! I am also an expectant parent, come 3-4weeks from today.
    You may also try and see if any relatives may want him, I'm sure some of your relatives have met the dog, and like him enough to give him a home. Or even would rather him stay in the family in hopes of seeing your parent with him still.
    I don't have any other ideas, sorry, if I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

Oh, courtesy listing for other shelters may help find him a home as well. Just remember if no one adopts him, he's better with you than anyone else, I know it's a lot to handle with a newborn on the way. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
  • RyanRyan
    Keep him. It is highly likely my parents are going to try and send their dogs to a shelter when they move house- I am going to take them on. Better they have an improved life with me, than a questionable life in a shelter. They won't get to sleep on the bed like bella, but at least they will have a home.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • I just realized I left this thread hanging and never gave anyone the good news! My parents found a person who was willing to foster Spanky until they could find a permanent home for him. This family was currently fostering another pit mix, and Spanky got along great with this dog. Well it turned out they had found someone interested in the mix, and they decided to keep Spanky.
    Spanky now has a large house, his own couch and a family with lots of experiance with bully breeds. He is loving life and my family visits him when they can.
    I just wanted to share the happy ending for my family and Spanky. Thanks for the advice everyone gave it did help!
    Mod's you guys can close this thread please.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I am glad you did update the thread and it was a positive outcome for all involved.
  • Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad he got a home. I'll close the thread now.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)