For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Pictures of interesting breeds in Agility
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    I enjoy taking pictures of dogs doing Agility and had taken quite a few while we were waiting for our run. As novice, we are usually the last on the totem pole and got to run the last.

It is truly amazing to see so many different breeds and handlers in all shape and form that are committed to do doggie sports with their canine friends. Here are some interesting shots I would like to share with fellow forum members.

This is a King Cavalier with her handler in electric wheelchair. They are competing at the Excellent level and they run very well together. It is truly inspiring to see them working so smoothly together as a team.

In Koji's class, there is one woman that has trouble walking steadily and she said she was inspired after seeing this team run Agility that she could run her Aussie too.

A German Shepperd enjoying Agility

A staffordshire Terrier on the teeter

I believe this is a Belgium Terv. Da Vinci is his name.

Not too familiar with the breed, but a great shot.

A very drivey and fast Frenchie on the top of the A-frame. Sorry, had a brain fart, it is a Boston Terrier. Damn, I know the dog and handler and still can't get it right! :)

A Westie weaving

A Pumi that got her MACH (Master Agility Champion) title

A Dobie clearing the jump.

A Standard Poodle

A Schnauzer

And last but not least, a Leonberger
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-07-17 15:53:09
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Those are some amazing shots :)
    Thank you for sharing them!
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Thanks for posting - so awesome!
  • philly_ypphilly_yp
    love these! i can tell how much these dogs are enjoying it! :)
  • BootzBootz
    Thanks for posting :) Those are some amazing shots.

Just out of curiousity, does your companion have to be purebred to be able to participate in agility? I'm interesting in enrolling Jackie into agility in the future, if possible.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Love it!

It must be lots of fun to take photos at agility trials. And all the dogs genuinely look excited about participating.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @Bootz

There are several organizations that host Agility trails and most don't require a dog being pure breed. You just need to register with that specific organization to compete.

Most AKC trials now accepts mix breeds or pure breeds that don't have AKC papers to participate if they register through the Canine Partner program or the Purebred Alternative Listing program.

• BootzBootz
    @sandrat888,

Thanks for the information. Seeing you and Koji do agility makes me interested in doing agility with Jackie. Of course Bootz is out of the picture cause her shiba attitude of "whats in it for me?" and also she would be too distracted by the other dogs.

FIRST OFF - Time to train jackie to be less vocal! :)
  • ShintalverShintalver
    Watching agility is so much fun :-) I've never seen a shiba run in person, but the most fun breed to watch was a bulldog...he was in no hurry lol, but was havin fun. I think the frenchie might of been a boston terrier, but I've seen some of both that could have passed for either :-)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    How old do the dogs and handler have to be, or are there no restriction to age?
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @Shintalver

Yes, it is a Boston Terrier. I was thinking of the Frenchie in Koji's Agility Class and his name is Coby.

@kumaDUDE
    I believe the dog has to be 15 or 18 months of age before they can enter, but many of the foundation training, such as focus, impulse control can be taught at a very young age, without teaching any of the skills on equipment.

Not sure about the age of the handler, but I have seen very young handler competing. I remember seeing a 12 year old running her Sheltie and she trains the dog herself and they are pretty good too.
  • ShintalverShintalver
    I grew up with bostons, so I'm always excited to see them, frenchie's I think of as an adorable cousin to dogs I grew up with :-D But I usually go to the dog show here in denver every year and love spending hours just watching the different dogs go thru! Some of the times they get are amazing! I'm definitely biased, but I think a very well trained shiba would blow them away ;-)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Thank you Sandra! I was thinking of enrolling Kuma to beginner agility classes as soon a he passes STAR puppy. Then try for CGC shortly after. Ah the busy life of shiba owners :)
    I can't wait! Haha thank you again
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @kumaDUDE

It is a lot of fun to train your Shiba. Puppy obedience class is a first step. Once you have the basics down, CGC is another check point.

You can also consider doing Rally Obedience after CGC before you take Agility classes.

Agility classes that introduces equipment to your dog on Day 1 or very early on usually don't spend much time teaching the foundation skills. You may find your dog enjoying climbing up/jumping over equipments, but without the foundation skills of focus on you , understanding of the task at hand and impulse-control, it can get frustrating down the road when you run a sequence or a whole course and the dog just run around on its own without any regard to the handler.

Go to a few dog shows - comformation, obedience, rally obedience, agility etc and see the sports in action. You will be amazed at the different activities you can do with your dog. Talk to people at the shows/trials (of course, after they run or exit the ring) and ask them for recommendations of trainers/faculties in the area.

A good instructor is very important in guiding you through the journey. Koji and I started our Agility foundation training last August and we were lucky to have found a very good teacher.

Good luck with your training plan and have fun with your Shiba!
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yea, I was trying to see when the one in San Diego will be held, but can't find it now... I thought it was Saturday morning

Edit, never mind I found it, I'll take the family to watch the event. :D
    Can't wait to see how Kuma will react!
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-17 00:10:06
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Found these 2 YouTube clips of the woman (her name is Anne) in the electric wheelchair pictured above with her King Charles Cavalier Rocky. One was from a trial almost 2 years ago and the other was a practice session around the same time frame.

It is truly inspiring to see them working as a team and how Anne stays cheerful even when things did not go as planned in the ring.

Practice session

Anne and Rocky in a trial

• catloreecatloree
    This a very cool thread! I love seeing unusual breeds performing in agility.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Sandra, I'm goin to the agility run next weekend, would you mind if I added some photos on here?
    I wish Kuma and I could start training for this, but I think basic training and CGC should come as a priority.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-18 11:55:04
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @kumaDUDE

Feel free to add photos or videos to thread. Are you going to an AKC Agility trial?

Kuma is young and it is great that you want to start with the foundation puppy training and aim for getting the CGC. Each piece would be foundation to help you move to a more advanced level. Good luck and have fun!
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2012-07-19 01:34:06
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Yes, the AKC event next week is the one I will be going to.
  • aykayk
    @kumaDUDE - Are you going to the CPE trial in Lake Wolford area?
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I will be at Liberty Station NTC Park in San Dieo, CA.
    Never been there before, but I know it's near the San Diego Airport.
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-19 01:05:37
  • Just came back from Evergreen Afghan Hound Club trial and had a blast running both my Shibas. We did really great, but I would save that for the Shiba's SPAM threads.

We had 4 Shibas competing all 3 days - two are mine and two are from a competitor from the Portland area. Her black and tan Shiba boy, Kado, is the #1 ranked AKC Agility Shiba for 2011 and earned his Master Agility Champion (MACH) title earlier this year at a very young age (almost 4 years old) .

On Saturday, another local handler with a Shiba also showed her red Shiba boy Danny (they took a long break from Agility for various reasons), so we had 5 Shibas at an all-breed Agility trial. Some people jokingly ask me in the part lot if we were at a Shiba conference.

I did not take any pictures at this trial - too busy running both dogs and still videotaping friend's runs, but here is a video of some non-traditional agility breed running that you may find interesting.

Only Afghan Hound competing at the Afghan Hound trial. This is Zinger, one of the top ranked Agility Afghan Hound with MACH6 (Master Agility Champion 6) title.
  • I know this team from trials and thought some of you may enjoy watching their run.

Anne (the owner/handler) wanted to do Agility with her dog Rocky despite her physical limitation. This team is pretty inspiring to watch. They did not qualify in this run but you can tell they both enjoy the sports together.
  • That's really nice to see
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I recognized every single dog breed. :)

Awesome photos!
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)