For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Soon to be Shiba foster mommy
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    Thanks everyone for your advice! After reading everyone's comments and experiences on owning shibas, we have decided to foster a shiba first before adopting. After reading all the abandoned shiba posts and talking to some shiba rescue organizations, I was amazed to hear at the vast number of shibas being abandoned. We decided to stick with the rescue instead of buying a puppy. Hopefully, the new addition will work out and instead of a foster, be a furever home!

We will soon be getting the little guy and will update with pictures as soon as we settle him in today!!
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-07-14 08:25:41
  • Good for you! Keeping fingers (and paws) crossed that this is a good match.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I wish I had known to do exactly what you're doing before we picked up our Shiba... he was a real handful, especially as a puppy! I often think the challenges they present as they grow up from biting puppies to testy teenagers account for many abandonments. You're going to make an awesome foster parent, especially as an experienced Shiba owner.

Good luck!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    So Max is here....and got settled in quite quickly. He's a 2 year old shiba.

imageimage

• Aw! He looks right at home! So sweet! I hope everything goes well for you!
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    I was surprised how quickly he got comfortable on the first day. I'm glad that's the case, but I have to now worry about hubby coming home in a few days meeting him for the first time! Lol
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Trust me when I say this, he will fall in love as soon as your shiba comes trotting/prancing up to him!
    My wife was sceptical at first until I took her to the Shiba Party in NorCal, once she touched one, her heart melted she said :)
  • phipsphips
    hey, kyriannm, where are you located? I'm surprised you were able to get a 2yo, thats fairly young for a rescue...or so I'm told.
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    @phips if you are looking for a younger rescue and you are in the midwest check out the thread on here "SIRA needs foster homes" or look on the SIRA website they are getting about 17 young and old dogs from a commercial breeder who is downsizing and are in need of foster homes.
  • KyriannmKyriannm
    @phips I'm actually in the NY/NJ area. But RyuDragon is right, SIRA is looking for foster homes in the Midwest and they're young. I was lucky with the Rescue, after they took in my application, I was expecting a wait for a match, but within three days I heard back saying they found one for me. The owners of him had to give him up because they couldn't take care of him anymore.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)