For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Travel Safety - Crate Tag Template
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    I got the idea from a FB group created after a famous Agility handler and her 6 dogs were involved in a deadly car accident - 2 dogs died, 4 surviving dogs with different injuries and punctured lung for the owner. The group is very active and people start talking about travel safety in cars with your canine friends.

It is basically a cut PVC pipe with end caps that you can attach to your crates in the car. You put your dog's info (basic info, picture, vet info, emergency contact and authorization to provide ER care) in the tube in case of emergency.

You can find the template to put in this tube here
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5pnezkpKtydMl92QkFXa05vSDA

Picture of Maluko and Koji's crate set up

Also check out Farrah's blog on the subject
    http://nwshibas4liferescue.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/farrah-can-fly-travel-safety/

Thread on the Ruff Tough Kennel I use in the car.
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9986/ruff-tough-kennels-dog-crate#Item_14
    Post edited by sandrat888 at 2012-07-04 03:02:11
  • Wow this is a great idea! I will definitely do this when I have to take Dart back to the states.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Thanks for the helpful tips Sandra. Our training center recently lost one member and her dog in May due to a car collision coming back from a trial. I don't think she had a rough tough crate which may have saved her canine partner.

I wanted to ask are those dog dishes bolted on the front(?)....hard to tell in the photo.

Snf
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @StaticNfuzz

There is no guarantee if a certain setup would have changed the outcome of a car accident, but we all try to do whatever we feel comfortable and what we can afford to keep our dogs safe when traveling in the car.

However, I believe it is very important to restraint a dog in the car, either via a harness designed for this specific purpose or a crate. It is very concerning that so many people just let their pets roam around in the car or even sit in their lap while they drive. It is very dangerous and should an accident happens, the results could be deadly for your canine best friends.

Yes, I have Popware Collapsible Kennel Bowl (http://store.popwareforpets.com/collapsible-kennel-bowl/) on the font of the door. I like these because they do not rattle like a stainless or metal one would, can be folded up when not in use and dishwasher safe.
  • RyanRyan
    I dont like the idea of a crate in a load area.
    I strap my shiba into the centre of the backseat of the bmw, we dont take her in the yaris. As long as she can handle the airbags(curtain in the rear) she should be fine in an accident.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    What is a "load area"?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    ^^^ I'm guessing he is referring to the hatch area of a hatchback Yaris.

I also do not like the idea of putting a dog back there in a crate. I've been rear-ended a few too many times to feel comfortable with that.

While not the best solution, my wife and I use one of those hammocks for the rear seat for our dog.

I wonder how many police/firefighters/emt would bother to look inside that PVC tube and go through the information...? I sort of think if may go unnoticed in the midst of an accident which is that severe - you never know though, I suppose...
    Post edited by AWE46M3 at 2012-07-05 11:29:08
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    @Ryan

There is no guarantee any one setup would have made a difference in every accident scenarios, so we all do whatever we can to ensure the safety of our beloved pets. We choose certain setups based on our own dogs, car setup, what we can afford and what we feel comfortable. I drove a car that has a good safety rating all around and I drive carefully with my dogs.

I chose to put the crates in the back because the surface is leveler than against the back seat and it is easier to secure the crates in that space with tie downs. I chose one piece hard plastic crates that is made of the same strong material that is used to make kayak.

@AWE46M3
    Do you restraint your dog's movement with a harness/seatbelt setup or just the hammock?

I do not know how many first responders to the scene would look for the information inside the PVC tube, but having that information available when you can not talk on behalf of your pets in a serious accident is crucial. This is why it is securely attached to the front of the crate door. I also have a copy in a ziplock bag taped securely on top of the crates and another copy with more details medical history in the glove compartment.

What I am trying to say is I can't guarantee whoever that comes to the scene would find that information, but I am doing everything I can to have that information available when I can't.

I found out about the Yellow Dot program from fellow Agility competitors and did not seem to find reference of if this is a nation wide program, but sounds like at least for the first responders in NY state, they have the training to look for critical medical information in the glove compartment.
    http://www.nysheriffs.org/yellowdot
  • sandrat888sandrat888
    Site note:

This a another great resource to read up on canine seatbelt/harness, http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/dogbelts/dogbelts.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)