For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
bladder leakage
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Ok, anyone dealt with this? I feel like someone has, but an advanced search did not turn it up. And btw, I'll be calling my vet back as soon as they open at 2, but for now maybe someone has some ideas.

Took Toby to the vet this morning, was gone maybe 1.5 hours. Came home to found Bel frantic. She's licking rear like crazy. I tried to distract her, but she's going crazy. Then she laid down, was calm for a moment, then got up and started licking again, and I realized she was laying in a puddle. She's dribbling out urine (?) or something. She walks around dribbling. Her vulva looks prolapsed, meaning it is not swollen, but it is sticking out instead of flat against her body as it usually is, and I can see some of the dribble is coming from there. It's clear and doesn't smell like urine per se, but it is watery like urine. She just drank some water, and less than 5 minutes later another big puddle.

I'll be back in the vet this afternoon of course (and my poor vets already said they weren't getting lunch today due to all the emergencies) but....anyone had anything like this happen? Ideas?

• BootzBootz
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/1446/bed-wetting...#Item_15

Bootz is going through something similar. Although she's not freaking out like Bel nor leaking as much as Bel. I did a urine test with the Vet. Came back clear. Doctor doesn't have any idea nor did he believe it was something we should be VERY concern about. Just told me to keep an eye on her.

If you find out something different from the vet, please keep me updated!
  • sunyatasunyata
    Welcome to my hell... :-/

I have been dealing with this since November-ish. It SUCKS.

My situation may or may not be what Bel is going through, but I know that since she has seizures as well, it could be related.

As you know (but others may not), Nola has a brain tumour that has caused her to have multiple types of seizures (both tonic-clonic and partial complex). In November of 2011, Nola had a major tonic-clonic seizure which caused her to have a stroke. The stroke caused permanent brain damage.

Some of this brain damage (both from the tumour itself and the stroke) is presented by neurological defects, such as knuckling when standing, sitting, or walking; vacant staring; getting 'stuck' in a corner; and ataxia.

Nola's ataxia is most notable in her back end. She stumbles quite a bit, has trouble laying down (but not usually getting up), has notable weakness in her back legs, and has bladder control issues.

The bladder issues are strange, as they are intermittent and usually happens for a couple of days after she has a seizure. They start out as leaking while she is sleeping. Then, it progresses until she dribbles almost all the time. The urine usually is clear and rarely ever smells strong.

We have tried several different drug therapies, but none have worked at all. Poor Nola is just mortified when it happens, and she tries to lick it up, which is so sad. :(

When things are at their worst, Nola wears kiddie under-roos with a maxi pad to absorb the leakage. We also go through a lot of towels in our house. AND Nature's Miracle.

And while I hope that this is something as simple as a UTI, I know that Bel has seizures and know first hand the detrimental effects they can have on a dog, especially if it is brain tumour related.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
    Thanks Casey. That does sound kind of like what is happening with Bel (she's also trying to lick it up :( ) I noticed a bit of ataxia too, but couldn't tell if she was sore from all the licking (her vulva looks irritated) or if it was something else. I'm a little worried about dehydration--she's drinking and it just dribbles right out and she her gums seemed a little tacky at first, though I don't see it now. She also is vomiting the water, a problem she's always had when she drinks a lot fast.

She won't settle at all, poor thing, and she's pacing like crazy. Actually she's been nuts for the past couple of days which suggests, now that I think of it, that she had a seizure at some point that we didn't see. :(

eta: Bootz, I did see your issue too. :( It sounds somewhat similar, and it is hot as hell here, but then again, it's always hot in the summer and this has happened before. She's leaking a lot, though, and it was pretty sudden, so.....

My poor girl!
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-06-28 15:56:41
  • sunyatasunyata
    :( I am so sorry, Lisa. I hope it is not neurological.

To help her slow down with drinking, put ice cubes in her water dish. (Mostly ice cubes and just enough water to cover the bottom of the bowl.)

You may also want to grab some Pedialyte (or something similar) if you feel like she is getting dehydrated. Freezing that works well, too.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Have them do a complete blood panel. See what it shows. Other concerns: diabetes, kidney problems.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Poor Bel. Sorry you're going through this :0(
    Photobucket
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    If Belle is on anti-seizure medication it could cause incontinence. Poor girl I hope the vet can change up if that is the case.

Snf
    They think it was a seizure, clonic-tonic. She hasn't had one in a couple of years (though she's had the smaller ones). She had some ataxia in the back legs too, and her pupils were way dilated when we got there, and she was just out of it. The bladder problem is already cleared up and the ataxia was almost gone by the time we left.

The vet doesn't see swelling of the optic nerve, or any ear problems, but she is concerned that Bel seemed to have a headache--eyes half closed, panting, seems to press her head against the vet's hand, which is worrisome. It was crazy there at the vets (they had a ton of emergencies already) so she sent us home and she's going to think about what to do next. Right now it's just up her dose of phenobarb a bit, and see if that helps, and we'll think about if we need to do more diagnostics for tumors, or if we're going to just continue treating the seizures.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Well, at least the leakage and ataxia have cleared up. I feel your pain, I really do.

Even on a fairly high dose of phenobarb, Nola is still having a couple of tonic clonic seizures a month. :-/ We have discussed different medications, but the vet is not optimistic. Depending on her liver levels next blood draw, we might look at other options more seriously.

Keep me updated on how things go with Bel.

By the way, how did Toby's visit go?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LosechLosech
    Oh no. I hope this doesn't happen again. Poor Bel.
  • SayaSaya
    I hope she does better now. bladder leakage no fun Dink did that when she was getting really bad at age 16. Poor thing soaked sometimes. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • catloreecatloree
    Poor Bel, I hope that she is feeling better now & that it doesn't happen again.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
    Bel had a heavier than normal dose of pb yesterday and though she had some longer than normal naps, she was fine and basically at her same energy level. She seems back to normal this morning, which also confirms the seizure diagnosis, I think.

So...we'll just keep going with a new dose and see how she does.

Toby's vet visit was uneventful. No idea why he is so fat. Ran a thyroid test--I should get the results today. The vet's doing a nutrition consult too. He suggested I divide the meals up twice a day, too, but didn't have many other suggestions (maybe he will after he talks to the nutritionist). The thing is, Toby has no symptoms of anything else--he's healthy, just very very fat and is not losing weight. So we'll see.

As usual, though, Bel overshadowed Toby. :(
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-06-29 10:55:59
  • I'm sorry to hear about all my Shiba friends' troubles :( I hope all of your Shiba issues get resolved and your babies get better soon!
  • BootzBootz
    Glad the bladder problem cleared up!
    :( unfortunately Bootz' bladder problem is still there. We might get a second opinion....
  • sunyatasunyata
    Sorry there was no help from the vet on Toby. I know it is frustrating.

But glad to hear that Miss Bel is back to normal today.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Y'all are tough cookies. Always sad to hear about ongoing health issues with no real resolution, but it's good to know that our Shibas are in good hands.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Even worse with Toby....his thyroid levels are too high, not too low. :( So now we're really puzzled.

And Bel is still skittish and odd with her higher dose of pb. But she's not seizing.

And its her birthday. She's 7 today. :(
  • MayamaMayama
    Can't imagine what you're going through now. I would have been devastated. Hope Bel gets better soon and you can figure out what's going on with Toby.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page