For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
introducing a shiba to a chihuahu....... chihuahua just keep barking and shiba wants to play
  • MPevine11MPevine11
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 10:32:45
  • How did you introduce them? I guess the chi is barking because it's a bit nervous of the scary, big shiba? Whenever we meet a new dog we always start off with a walk so they can get to know each other without too much pressure. After that the other dog normally accepts Kuma into their home ;)
  • MPevine11MPevine11
    we were holding them and let them sniff eachother. (grandparents told us to do this.)

is it to late to do the walk in a netural place thing? (they have been seprated nd will be until later today.
  • DakotaRose42DakotaRose42
  • MPevine11MPevine11
    We're going to try the walking thing today after work. I'm praying it works. They have been separated since they met last time (last night)
  • Good luck, hope it works out.

When you're holding the animals in a greeting situation you're hiding their signals. E.g. if we're meeting a dog that Kuma thinks is a bit rough he'll sniff the ground like crazy and the other dog will (normally) understand the signs and calm down, that's hard to to when being hold.
  • MPevine11MPevine11
    it worked amazingly! came home and they played all night! (until it was kennel time for shib)

the chihuhu still grawls from time to time.....were going to wlk agin today agin at the same place. maybe multiple walks will help them? they re defently way better and that makes me very happy!
  • Growling is good, I love dogs that growl before they bite ;) It simply means "please don't come any closer". If your other dog don't take the hint, you can try helping the chi out by removing your shiba for a little while. You don't have to remove completely, like to another room, just out of the chi's personal space.
  • MPevine11MPevine11
    ill try to get video of them plying later :) i should mention our chi is ~2yrs 5months, nd our shiba is ~9 weeks.

they re begining to get along gret