For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Has anyone taken their shibas out to go on trails with rocks and did they have any issues?
    I was thinking of taking Kuma up on this trail but there's a path with rocks that may be slippery for him to go on.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-06-19 22:02:29
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Oh, I've seen shepherds and retrievers going on them, but I'm afraid my lil baby may hurt himself :(
  • LosechLosech
    Nope! Not worried. Conker's got luxating patella in both knees (very mild, but it's there) so I do have to be careful with him on really crazy stuff, but he is able to do all sorts of trails just fine with no problems. Despite his knees, he's very durable and never has a problem with most trails I take him on.
    I do have him wear a Ruff Wear harness on hikes, which has a handle on the back, just in case he does need assistance getting over something.

Hiking is his favorite activity. He loves it.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-06-19 22:04:51
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ah! I'll have to look into ruff wear harness! Thanks a ton :)
    I plan on trying as much stuff as possible with Kuma.
    Have you ever tried taking him swimming?
  • sunyatasunyata
    @kumaDUDE - I changed the category of this thread. When starting new threads, please ensure that you place them in the correct category.

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • LosechLosech
    Yes. It took him a long long time to get over having water touch his feet (he used to SHRIEK when he was "forced" to walk through puddles or on wet surfaces) but with the help of my other two dogs, he learned that water is a lot of fun. He won't voluntarily swim in the pool, but he will jump headfirst into creeks and other shallower bodies of water. He prefers it not be deeper than about three feet right now, but he's getting more and more comfortable in deeper waters. He can swim fine, too, so he doesn't need a lifejacket.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Sorry, I forgot to change to new topic.
    Thanks
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Shibas are very agile and suited for walking on trails. On one of our hikes there was a large tree that had fallen over a ravine (20 foot drop) and both of my dogs got up on it and started to cross over it. I had to stop them because they were on leash and was not about to attempt the crossing myself. They seemed disappointed. When I was at my nephews house his Golden and a neighbors dog were swimming in his pond. Standing at the edge INU suddenly jumped in to join in the fun.
    犬竜
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah, Conker loves walking on logs! I forgot about those. He will go out of his way to cross one if he spots it, and will jump up on them if they are beside the trail and walk along them instead.

This was on today's hike.
    Terrible image, but look how happy he is!

This was a hike last August.
    That was his idea, not mine.

He will also jump up on big rocks and pose on them. And tables. One of the "traditions" at the regular place I hike is to have him jump up on the picknick table in the middle of the trail system so I can take a picture. He does it automatically now, and will jump on other things and wait for me to take a picture as well.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @Losech OMFG That picture from August is so beautiful!
    I notice that he is off leash: how old was he when he became off leash, and how old is he now?
    I wish Kuma will be just like him, off leash and adventurous. I plan on trying to make Kuma a therapy dog, but we shall see how he progresses.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker is one of those rare exceptions to the no off-leash rule for Shibas.
    I kinda accidentally trained him for it. He was terrible on-leash, so I just got a 30 footer and let him wander around and do his own thing. I kept very, very, VERY tasty treats with me and every time I called him, he got one. Always. I didn't really urge him to keep up with me or anything, just gave him a treat when he came.
    There are quite a few older threads where I have talked in greater detail about how I did it. Do a search using the Advanced Search feature and some of them will pop up. There's a lot of good information in them from other members too.

Conker will chase things, but if I can tell him to Leave It before he begins to chase, he will. If not? I either have to go find him or wait for him to come back. So far, he always has. He runs off on 1 of about every 15 hikes, so not too often, but often enough that I do have to pay attention to what animals are out in the forest. So he's not 100% reliable, but is enough that I will let him off on the majority of hikes where dogs are legally allowed to be off-leash. (He's a lot more reliable than my other two dogs, who will just run off at any given moment, ignore me, and not come back. They don't get much off-leash time.)

Anyways, I started hiking off-leash with him July of last year. He was one. He's almost two now but not completely mature (mentally), so he could decide to no longer be good off-leash at any given moment. I'll just have to wait and see.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-06-20 01:02:56
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ah i see, thank you very much for the info. I will do an advance search for this later on. I however do not trust my training skills just quite yet, so I will ask my trainers as much questions as possible.
  • RyanRyan
    Bella has been on trails since 4months, she loves it. Completely in her element. Great for me as she is meant to be a hiking companion!
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ah i see, thank you very much for the info. I will do an advance search for this later on. I however do not trust my training skills just quite yet, so I will ask my trainers as much questions as possible.
    I think I'll take Kuma out for a hike this Friday in San Diego, see how he likes it :)
    Again thanks everyone for your input.
    Please feel free to post more pictures and recommendations on what to bring with me on hikes.
  • GatsuGatsu
    I would love if I could take Guts hiking off leash. I'm confident he'll follow me if we were by ourselves. But if we come across another dog, there is a good chance he'll just follow that dog and try to play with it. Plus Guts rarely comes when called, so if I did lose him I'd have to wait till he comes back. But I guess I'm too blame for Guts' obedience problems, I never did put enough training into him.

Post edited by Gatsu at 2012-06-20 13:06:42
  • lucylulucylu
    I trust my dog off leash. I've taken her to plenty of areas that weren't fenced in and she did fine just following me or coming when called. Not 100% of the time, but I'd say a good 90%. I would never trust her off leash near a busy road, however.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    @Losech I hope you don't mind, but I'm using your August picture as my wallpaper on FB, too good of a picture not to.
  • BootzBootz
    that august picture is really pretty. Although it reminds me of the video where Conker fell in the water and got all emo. Hahaha. :)
  • LosechLosech
    @kumaDUDE Sure, go ahead! I don't mind.
    @Bootz That was the same log, actually...
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I'll be taking a short hike with the pup tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes, just cus he's still small, but I'll be making him wear his harness, so I have a lil more control of him.
  • That picture is amazing!

Good luck with the hike tomorrow. I plan on taking my pup out for some adventure time this weekend too.
  • RyanRyan
    Oh, we use a leash... Can't trust her yet. Will get a ruff wear pack when she is fully grown so she can carry her water.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ended up going to the beach instead of the trail, but he had a blast either way. Next week we will do the trail :)
  • phipsphips
    what hike were you going to do? i hiked in san diego last weekend.
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Just lake poway, nothing major
  • phipsphips
    i was there! did "potato chip"
    Sunny: 6/Male/Red Sesame
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Ok, My Kuma is only 15-16weeks old

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)