For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Itching/puppy food vs. adult
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    I apologize if this ends up being a repeat question....I did search and couldn't find an answer.
    Zach is now 8 months old. He has been scratching on and off since we brought him home, I didn't think to much of it...everyone has an itch once in a while. But someone mentioned that is could be an allergy. Right now he is on Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice...I have also been putting Salmon Oil on his food in the mornings (his coat is beautiful). I stopped the Salmon Oil for a while to see if the itching stopped and it hasn't (don't get me wrong...its not ALOT of itching but more than my other dogs used to do). So now its time to buy more dog food and I'm wondering if I should get something else...possibly grain free and fish rather than chicken. However I can't seem to find these things offered in puppy food. Is he too young for adult dog food? Any suggestions on another brand maybe?
    He really seems to like BB and has been eating it since we got him at 8 weeks old.
    Appreciate your advice...as always!
  • SayaSaya
    8months should be fine to go to adult food.. I switched Saya at 6months because I wanted her on wellness core ocean.. She did fine on wellness puppy, but I wanted to switch anyways.. She did fine.

It could be chicken or maybe the rice or could be something else in the kibble.

Saya doesn't have allergies food wise environmental she is slightly allergic she gets goopy eyes lightly in pollen times it's not too bad though once I wipe it off it doesn't come back till next morning.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Thanks @Saya I looked into Wellness and like what I found. I also ended up finding a $5.00 coupon! I am going to give this a try...of course slowly taking him off BB Puppy.
    Zach doesn't have any seasonal allergies from what we can tell...the vet said he is in perfect health also. I'm hoping that switching his food will take care of the itching.
    Since Wellness Core Ocean has fish in it, would you still recommend putting Salmon Oil on his food or will that be too much?
  • SayaSaya
    I'd still give salmon oil since it's fresh or whatever. I'm not sure how much fish oil is added to kibble.

If you like Blue bufalo they have wilderness salmon formula I'm not sure if it's free of chicken though been long time since i looked at it's ingredients. Sometimes I find fish or lamb kibble and it has chicken or duck kibble with chicken etc..

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @Saya I just check BB website for the ingredients regarding Wilderness Salmon and it says there is chicke meal in it. I think I am going to try your first suggestion. I would like to see if his itching stops being off of meat (chicken) and grain.
  • Marou is having this same issue... Scratching more than normal. I know he doesn't have flea's because he's on Comfortis. I've changed his food 3 times since I've noticed the scratching which started little over a month now after we started him on Evanger's Complete Formula. We found out that he has a yeast allergy, and he also developed ”frito feet”. We have tried Acana grasslands and California Naturals kangroo/lentils as samples, but he's on Acana pacifica everyday(for the past 2 weeks). I still give him hard-boiled eggs and sweet potatoes occasionally. I stopped giving him anything chicken to see if he has a chicken allergy. The only snacks I've been giving him lately has been a bully stick, a deer antler, and coconut flakes. But, he's still scratching just as much, and now he's having trouble pooping... He's been pooping in the house because his stomach has been acting up so bad. He's been struggling to get it out(we notice and take him out) but he stops(we've waited up to 2hrs outside today) so we bring him back in and he lays down, 20mins later he jumps up and just poops in the floor. His poop has been little hard poops with very audible mushy poops.

Anyone have any suggestions?

We took him to the vet recently before the accidents started and she said he was fine but that he did have seasonal allergies.
  • AnnaAnna
    @esiepiela Hammond has been on Taste of the Wild since he was weaned. They have a puppy formula now, but their regular kibble is all life stages. That's what the breeder used for his mom and the litter and what I kept him on. They have a salmon formula that he likes.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Update...Zach has now been switched to Wellness Ocean Grain free dog food (which he loves) but he is still itching. There are no bald or red spots yet. We are keeping a close eye on him. The vet couldn't see anything wrong and suggested allergy medicine, which we have been trying but it doesn't seem to help. Last night we gave him a bath hoping that would help (the bath itself was a project...the poor thing hated it...pooped in the tub) and today he seems to be itching even more. However, I noticed after the bath alot of fur coming off. Is is possible he is shedding/blowing? He is 9 months old and hasn't really shed his puppy coat from what i can tell.
  • BootzBootz
    Have you been brushing him? Does a lot of fur come out?
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @Bootz I brushed him last night and got fur off but it didn't seem to be alot. Although at one point after his bath yesterday he was sitting on my lap...got off...and my black sweatpants were covered in fur.
  • BootzBootz
    Sounds like shedding! Bootz went through a phase similar to yours. I think it was the puppy coat, but i think around 10 months is when she really started blowing her coat. I had to brush her every night and vacuum every other day. Did you use an oatmeal type shampoo? Many owners use that for itching dogs. Also even though not much fur is coming out yet, a nice massage/brush every night wont hurt and might help reduce itching, if its due to the shedding.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @Bootz We did use an oatmeal shampoo that also has some kind of anti-itch stuff in it. (I'm at work and I don't remember the name or label at the moment). I will try brushing him more often. That will also be a challange...he hates that as well!
  • InoushiInoushi
    It sometimes takes a month or more after switching the food to see results. As for fleas, oral flea preventatives kill fleas after they bite your dog, and may stay on them for a while. Kenshin is sensitive to flea bites, and has to use topical ones, because they can (but not always) kill fleas before they bite.

Also right now a lot of dogs are shedding and growing new coats which equals lots of itching.
  • RyanRyan
    We try to do a 30 second zoomgroom most nights even when not required as it gives a little massage and helps me get any leaf litter/grass seeds out, I do my big brush sessions on weekends. Not sure if incorporating that will help if it is only shedding?
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Aki_shibaAki_shiba
    We had a problem with tiny flea-like insects for a month despite being on advantix and trying comfortix. We had to bathe her (and drown them) to get rid of the critters and they weren't like the normal fleas that are solid. The ones we found were tiny and only by staring at them and noticing legs that we determined them to be insects. They jumped onto us too and they bite leaving tiny dot punctures. I use diluted lavender spray on Aki (luckily she isn't sensitive) each morning and it's been keeping them away.

Hopefully it's only a blowing coat for Zach.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Update...Zach is still itching however not as much...but he is definately blowing his coat. There is fur every where...we have been trying to brush him at least every other night but that is a project...he hates it.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Try having someone feed him treats as you brush him. Start slowly and brush for a short time and then work your way up.

If you have bully sticks, you can have someone hold onto it and let Zach gnaw on it as you brush. Then take it away when you finish.

It will get better overtime. Also, try brushing at the end of a walk when they are more tired. Elevating him, like on top of your washer, will help too.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @LeoJDHu thanks for the advice...I will try it!
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Zach is DEFINATELY blowing his puppy coat. I vacuum every other day and the whole canister is full of hair...LOL.
    Yesterday my niece and I went outside to try, yet again, to brush Zach...I distracted him and she brushed...and we had success! We got ALOT of hair off. We had to clean off the brush 10 times! After that Zach had lost patience with sitting still but I am happy that we were able to at least get off what we did. We are going to try again tonight!
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Zach is still blowing his coat..and WOW...its coming off in clumps! We took him to the vet because he was also scratching ALOT and wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. The vet couldn't find anything wrong at the moment and is hoping that its just itchy because of blowing. But he did end up biting his hind leg to the point of it being really red (another reason for the vet visit). Turns out the red spot got infected. So now Zach is on antiboitic and Prednisone to stop the scratching...which has worked. We are almost done with both meds. The vet said that if he continues scratching we might need to investigate a possible food/skin or enviromental allergy. For now...Zach is a happy puppy!
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    Update on Zach's itching...We are now weaning off the prednisone and Zach is starting to itch again. Looks like we are going to be returning to the vet soon for a follow up.
  • Try him first on a grain free and/or non-chicken food first as if it's one of those, that will make things easiest to deal with.
  • esiepielaesiepiela
    @notoriousscrat currently Zach is on Wellness grain free ocean blend food.
  • We bought the food the "breeder" was feeding our Roxy only because we didn't want to shock the dog in switching foods. We knew it wasn't going to last long, but we didn't think we would switch so quickly. For the last two weeks Roxy has been scratching her neck here and there, we thought maybe it's the collar due to it being nylon. We traded out her collar 3 times - still itching. Then Sunday she was chomping on her right leg and scratching it big time. So we threw away her treats to narrow that down, she did stop chomping but the scratching by her neck continued. Then last night when I got home from work I noticed her chomping again on her leg itching the crap outta it. So that's when we finally decided to look at the dog food as the culprit.
    We went to Petco last night and my husband I purchased Wellness CORE for puppies and the funny thing is we mixed her adult dog food the "breeder" gave us in with the puppy food and Roxy ate ONLY the Wellness puppy food.

She's stopped from chomping, but every now and then will start scratching her neck...
    I'm unsure what it is, she got Advantix put on her by the vet because it's very warm in New York for being December, so it's not fleas or ticks... Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing the itching or are we too impatient and should wait for the adult dog food to weed outta her system before we jump to the next thing causing her itch?
  • Scratching her neck could be her getting used to wearing a collar. If she hadn't been wearing one before you got her, it wouldn't surprise me that she would scratch at it. When I had Ham start wearing his collar, he would always try to scratch at it. I would just have to distract him with something else.

I would check by a vet if you are concerned though but since your puppy is still very young, it could be that she isn't used to wearing a collar and doesn't like it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)