For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Cow Hoove
  • BritigerxBritigerx
    Has anyone tried giving their shiba inu a cow hoove? I bought one to give to mine but he isn't playing with it or anything. This is strange because he is always constantly chewing on things. Could it be too big for him? I know he can't put it in his mouth nor carry it anywhere because its big but I feel like he should still chew on it. He keeps staring at it and growling but doesnt chew on it. Any ideas?
  • MayamaMayama
    Maya was confused when I gave one to her for the first time. I had to hold it for her and let her smell/lick/chew for a while till she realized it's something yummy. Then she grabbed on to it and wouldn't let go. :p

The one I got was really smelly, so I had to keep Maya in the kitchen while she chew on it.

Maya sharing at the hoof not knowing what to do:
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • koyukikoyuki
    Oh my goodness i thought you meant clippings from hooves not the actual WHOLE hoof! I have never seen those available in Aus lol. I have given my dogs the clippings from my horses hooves, and they used to go crazy for them. I had the farrier out yesterday trimming hooves but they stank so much because of how wet the ground is at the moment, so my pups are yet to try hoof!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • PhantomPhantom
    Nobi has one. He actually picked it out at the store. He loves it and would do anything to get it. Of course, he's only 11 weeks old, so it might depend on the age and personality?

To add more to the discussion, how long do the hooves last for everyone?
  • koyukikoyuki
    Are they kind of dehydrated or are they straight from the cow? Im curious because i would be concerned with yeast in the hoof and infection that can come from that? Not sure if it is actually applicable
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • AnnaAnna
    My local pet store offers stuffed hooves. So it's a smaller hoof than that and has some weird cheddar-bacon gelatin formed in it. So at first Hammond ignored his hooves, but once I brought home a stuffed one, he now chews them all.

I also recently bought an entire cow foot (from the same store, so it's a manufactured dog treat, not a random item from a slaughterhouse). At first he really ignored that because it's the size of his head, but eventually he started nibbling at it. Then there was a small hole near the top and I stuffed some salmon treats in it. Now he chews it a lot and drags it around the apartment, haha.
  • pdleepdlee
    I get these from Petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12623974&lmdn=Dog

Not sure if you can see it because I'm on my iPod touch. Anyways, Pria loves these and they last about two weeks at least. She carries it around from room to room and it is really the only chew that she likes.
  • BootzBootz
    lol. growling at it.

New things sometime take time. But there should be a smell that will attract them to it. When I first got Bootz it she gave me a "i'm suppose to chew this?" look. Then hesistantly put her mouth on it. After she taste it, she was busy with it for HOURS. Now she chews on it once in a while. I'm going to rotate her chews so she keeps interest.

Maybe wet it a little bit? that sometimes help.
  • MayamaMayama
    I got mine raw, so it has a really really strong odor. Maybe I should try a processed one next time. I like it because it's softer than antlers, but longer lasting than bully sticks because of the weird shape.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Foxy loves hers but I have to agree with Mayama... its smell sooooo bad when she's chewing on it. I can't wait for her to be done with it and she's had it for at least six months.
    Photobucket
  • JosieAndMarouJosieAndMarou
    @koyuki Most of the ones that you find in the pet stores in the U.S. are sterilized.
  • glitchglitch
    Post edited by glitch at 2012-05-25 23:58:43
  • koyukikoyuki
    Ok thats good. I know you can buy pig trotters here, and we always have had people asking for cuts offs of horse hooves, but im going to keep my eyes open now for other cooler things like antlers, bully sticks and cow hooves!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Suma- sesame female
  • Sarah_Jay12Sarah_Jay12
    @Mayama, do you have a long-haired Shiba? He is BEAUTIFUL!!!
  • SayaSaya
    I seen them at pet store's but they usually worry me.. I'm not sure if they're fine dehydrated or whatever..

I might try these since Saya loves lamb!
    She loves lamb shanks and necks..
    http://mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=ASA_flypage.tpl&product_id=734&category_id=23&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=130

Same place used to have young cow legs with the hoove, but I never gotten that at most I'd probably get that to try as a chew..

I know greentripe.com has raw cow hooves where they put filling in it of tripe and maybe cheese maybe not..

I feed raw.. pork feet is one Saya's favorite the skin is nice and chewy. I always fine them split I need get one whole for more of a work out.

I never tried cow hooves from pet stores so can't comment..

I might one day stop at my pet carnivore to get goodies from them when I get my own freezer.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I feed raw cow hooves. They are cleaned and quality checked somewhat so there isn't poo or infection on them. The dogs started off with dried hooves, but they now prefer raw hooves.

When ever I would go visit friends with horses, the dogs were all crazy for hoof trimmings. I too, would be cautious giving them any horse trimmings that had fungus or rot, better to wait till the weather/ground dries up.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    I stay away from the black colored hooves as they seem to splinter quite easily. I stick with the light colored ones and get them for 99 cents at our local pet store. My girl loves them and sometimes I smear a little peanut butter inside for a really special treat.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    My friend came up with an idea that she calls "hoof stuffers" and that is to fill the hooves with wet food and freeze them. It works great!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • SayaSaya
    My grandma gives her dog cow hooves that are black colored.. Wonder why their black is it normal? Due to being cooked or dehydrated or treated in some way?

The meat processor I go to one raw feeder gets beef trim, liver, and heart for $1 I might get some depending on what the trim is like, but I might ask if they can give me a raw cow hooves.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • catloreecatloree
    Elwood has never gotten a cow hoof, but we got him a chicken foot the other day & he had no idea what to do with it. I had to cut it up for him because he was just sitting with it between his paws staring at it & crying. My Pomeranian, on the other hand, had no issue at all with eating the chicken foot whole. Shibas can be such divas at times!
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • BritigerxBritigerx
    Kota took forever to play with it but he chews on it now but I think he likes the Kong toy I got him more.. Has anyone's shibas actually finished the entire hoof? Kota has had his since I last posted this and I thought he'd have chewed it already..
  • BootzBootz
    Yes, my shiba finished hers in 3-4 months time. Then again I always have 2 hooves out.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Foxy eventually finished hers but I couldn't stand the smell when she would be chewing on it so I often took it away. I prefer the Himalayn Chews or the Moose/Deer Antlers. Much less smelly.
    Photobucket
  • @Foxylover I am with you! It smelled like cow pasture in my house when Marou chewed on a hoove I bought him. He loved it, but it made me want to vom at the smell!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)