For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Problem going to the bathroom after spay?
  • mverzalmverzal
    It seems like after getting my puppy spayed almost 2 weeks ago, she seems to be having problems going to the bathroom. Its starting to drive me nuts. First she would start to squat like she had to pee, but then stand up and walk away. This would happen over the next 15 minutes and finally she would go. Then she would want back out a little later to do the other side of things. This however has gotten much worse. She will want outside what looks like shes about to go, so i take her out, and nothing. She will just stand there and stare at nothing, maybe walk around for a bit sniffing the ground, looking at the trees, standing next to me whatever, but wont poo. We come inside sometimes after 30 min and within 5 min max she poops in my living room every time. She was doing so good before getting fixed at going to the bathroom outside. Are these some how related. i am out of options with this. Have even gone outside for 15 min if no poo then she goes straight to her crate for 5 then back outside. Still nothing.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-12-12 22:53:18
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    No, doubtful it's related. More than likely she is getting less interested in going potty right away and things outside are becoming way more interesting. Adolescents will do this often, that is, delay the potty business as long as possible because they would rather be outside. If you praise her after she goes with a good play session and romp instead of heading straight back inside, it will help switch it up for her. Also, their ability to "hold it" becomes incredible around this age and they often seem more than happy to go all day with out peeing/pooping if there is something more entertaining going on (like play). Wait her out and reward her well by outside play sessions after she goes.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • mverzalmverzal
    i usually do stay out longer after she goes potty, but after the spay they told me no running and stuff so i have been keeping her as calm as possible. I had her checkup just the other day and they said she was looking good so i have been ramping up the play time. Only now we have our oh so know washington weather and its raining out. Im not just going to stand around outside in the rain cuz she feels like it.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It's more likely from the confinement after the spay then it sounds like, not the medical procedure itself. Sounds like she grew wise to it! I understand about the Washington weather. It was super nice this last week but there is a little drizzle this morning. This is one of those "chose your battles" situations. I have been there! I ended up just getting the umbrella and waiting, and that didn't always work since their capacity and will to hold it is extraordinary.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • LosechLosech
    I think spay complications are usually incontinence, not being able to hold it? I don't think the two are related at all.

Ah, the rain. Thankfully my Shiba doesn't mind, but when my Mom moved from Arizona to Southern Oregon, one of her dogs refused to go out in it. She had to basically re-housetrain Sasha. She ended up shutting her outside until she finally went, then let her in. Sasha didn't like it, but now she'll go outside rain or shine. (Mom's not the type to stand out there with an umbrella.)
    My Shiba used to hate rain, but he would do his stuff superquick when I took him out when it was raining. Nowadays he takes just as long to pick a spot than if it's dry, and sometimes that can take something like 30 minutes. But if he won't go when I think he might need to, I do keep him outside until he does. I had the "puppy won't go outside, but 5 mins after coming in he does" issue and I just had to stick it out until he would go.
    Post edited by Losech at 2012-05-21 18:08:31
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    So Tali got spayed yesterday and when she came back, she had a super pee that lasted a while, emptying out all those IV fluids. She ate about half her regular meal and knocked out for the rest of the night. I tried to take her out again after a few hours however now I noticed that she'll start circling and trying to squat like she needs to go, but ends up sitting down and shivering instead. This happened a few times and I eventually took her back in.

I suspect it's most likely because she's in pain, but wanted to know if anyone else had had a similar issues post spay with urination and whether holding it in like this might cause problems later. She seemed to pee fine right after we got home.
    Post edited by Nikkitine at 2015-03-19 08:28:46

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)